PDA

View Full Version : Cast net

doggy39
30-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Just wondering if anybody can recommend a decent bottom pocket cast net for gathering live bait.

Thanks.

Whoofa
31-01-2015, 07:30 AM
Ever considered making your own.

doggy39
31-01-2015, 07:48 AM
Mate I don't think I would have the patience.

Dogtoooth
05-02-2015, 08:32 AM
Just wondering if anybody can recommend a decent bottom pocket cast net for gathering live bait.

Thanks.

Don't spend too much on expensive nets, get a good brand you know. Mono the best. I'm 178cm and I throw a 11ft net with ease. Cast net's don't last long these day's , even if looked after, wear and tear.

wayno60
05-02-2015, 10:50 PM
DT is right, theres that much shit been thrown into rivers and lakes that its not worth paying the big $$$ for one.

yes you can get ones with the chain around the bottom and can do this and that and are great for the prawners, but just for flogging around for bait one of thesewill do ya..

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Surecatch-Cast-Nets-Nylon-10-1-inch-mesh.aspx?pid=127024#Recommendations

some peeps will say oh yer cheap and nasty but it wont matter if you spend $90 or $490 get it wrapped around a rock or a bike or a shopping trolley your still going to rip it to shreds....

scorpo92
06-02-2015, 06:46 AM
DT is right, theres that much shit been thrown into rivers and lakes that its not worth paying the big $$$ for one.

yes you can get ones with the chain around the bottom and can do this and that and are great for the prawners, but just for flogging around for bait one of thesewill do ya..

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Surecatch-Cast-Nets-Nylon-10-1-inch-mesh.aspx?pid=127024#Recommendations

some peeps will say oh yer cheap and nasty but it wont matter if you spend $90 or $490 get it wrapped around a rock or a bike or a shopping trolley your still going to rip it to shreds....
Totally agree. First trip out the other day with new net. Now has 2 fist size holes haha. Bloody mangrove roots

Pero
08-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Spot on. Buy an el cheapo for bait.
Unless your chasing the sea mullet.
Bait nets usually get used near banks and that sort of stuff. Plenty of mangrove roots too.
You could get one made of multi mono which can take tonnes of abuse. But eventually gets damage too. Not to mention its very dear as well.

Pero
08-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Ever considered making your own.
Turning the pocket up takes me 6 hours alone. Its a monstrous task. And then you throw over mangroves, and it gets ripped. By one from the chain stores. Its not worth $400 to damaga a custom made top and bottom in my opinion. (unless your after sea mullet)

doggy39
08-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Thanks all went and got the el cheapo to throw around .

timddo
08-02-2015, 09:28 PM
Turning the pocket up takes me 6 hours alone. Its a monstrous task. And then you throw over mangroves, and it gets ripped. By one from the chain stores. Its not worth $400 to damaga a custom made top and bottom in my opinion. (unless your after sea mullet)

If it takes you anymore then 5 hours a net, your on third world wages ;D