PDA

View Full Version : Becoming A Recognised Fisherman, Pursuing A Career In Fishing.

metalhead666
29-01-2015, 07:22 PM
G'day guys, so i am sixteen this year and all i have wanted to do my entire life is be a fisherman. I live and breathe it, for my sixteenth i am going on a shark fishing charter, i recently purchased a 250$ tackle bag from New Zealand, i get up at 3:30 most mornings to get a fish in before school and i even went to the effort of making my bike with three rod holder on the back of it, plus two improvised versions on the side so i can lay the bike down and have the rods standing. It really isn't a secret, i am entirely obsessed. I find it hard to get motivated for school because i am sitting in class learning integers, poems and quadratic formula thinking 'If i fake a siccy i could still catch the high tide and have a run of bullies'. I currently film amateur documentaries which go for twenty minutes, and i run a small you tube channel and face book page. So my question is do you guys have any tips on how to get more popular, or how to begin the process of teeing up a career in fishing? I currently don't have a license but will have my learners in a few months, so the fishing i can do is somewhat restricted. How do i go about pursuing my dream from here? Are there TAFE courses which have helped others, is Marine Biology the go at Uni? What do i do?
If anyone is interested, this is the channel i run. Please check it out, and if you like it please subscribe or share it around. Any information or advice is greatly appreciated.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4WgeTSf-5FTSkKLfa36e6A

wayno60
29-01-2015, 11:56 PM
Well as far as jobs in the media, AKA, Hunt, Worsteling, Berg, Duigan and Hart, McGlashan and the like i think its all about having the gift of the gab and being able to sell your idea to the TV executives. Or start up your own production company and do the lot your self and just sell the program as a whole, which is the way i think most do it. Id be very surprised if any TV presenter has a Deg in Marine Biology, I dont think any of them are that smart. :)

As far as being a pro fisher your goal would be to end up in the States in the bass comps... thats where the BIG dollars are. Getting there you need to do well at state and national levels and a pocket full of money and them some..

seashawgal
30-01-2015, 08:00 AM
there is also a Facebook site for jobs on super yachts. The Coastguard is a good start as well they will teach you heaps about boating and you can get hours clocked up on the water. Good luck. Where do you live? Bill Marsh on Facebook is running his trawler out of Scarborough again.

GBC
30-01-2015, 10:12 AM
Billy passed away 2 days ago (Jan 28) I'm sorry. Heard through a pro fisho's page on FB the other day.

Metalhead - see below

https://www.daff.qld.gov.au/fisheries/commercial-fisheries/licensing-reporting-enforcement

As an ex pro fisho I'd recommend studying at school and having a good enough job to enjoy fishing on your time off. It is a difficult and dangerous pursuit when it is your livelihood.

aussiebasser
30-01-2015, 11:38 AM
If you're looking at becoming a professional angler, as opposed to a professional fisherman, you have a massively long hard slog ahead of you. Carl Jocumsen is probably the closest we have, he's fishing the Elite Bass Series in the US this year. He doesn't earn enough to live on, and relies on sponsors and he's just had a very public fund raising campaign to help him get through this year. Good luck with your dream, but in the interim, study hard, get a good education, find a good job not related to fishing so you can earn a lot of money to fund the best hobby going.

Harmytage
30-01-2015, 11:45 AM
Maybe buy or start your own tackle store!

Beatsworkin2
30-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Get a good job first then follow ur heart don't b in it for the money and then the money will come maybe good luck mate u sound keen as

Birdy
30-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Metalhead ,

Pay attention in English class , most of the people you want to emulate started in text and continue to write along with the TV medium .You will need to be able to string a couple of thousand words together to get editors to publish your work and gain some momentum in the game along with the you tube channel .Modern english used on social media won't do , however most publishing programs will fix spelling and punctuation .
I guess you already do but try and read new and old fishing writing and pay attention to the article structure and how to turn words into a tale that keeps you reading .
Learn to use a good camera as well as you can and work on getting your subject matter where you want it in the frame.
Never spin wild yarns , someone will know better and that will be the end of the dream .
Get a job anywhere first , time on the water to get the subject matter and experience you will need is very expensive .

Most of all keep having fun .

Birdy

toddo1
30-01-2015, 07:42 PM
Like everyone has said mate, study hard, get a good job to pay for boats cars tackle n go from there!! There's not enough money in australian tournaments to be a full time pro without having a job!! But if you work hard, and save you can have the toys!! Only way to earn a full time gig earning enough is like everyone said, host a tv show etc!! Like aussie basser said, Carl jocumsen is the best we got and his doing it tough for cash but with a bit of luck he will have a good year in the elites!!! Best of luck mate, study hard

Whoofa
30-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Just watched your first video. Not a fan of heavy metal music while watching fishing videos. Just remember that not everybody watching your clips will not be 16 years old. You may need to try and cater for the larger demographic,