PDA

View Full Version : Hinchinbrook Channel

Rufus
27-01-2015, 07:18 AM
Hey to all,

The wife and I are planning a trip up to Hinchinbrook Channel for 2 weeks around September/October. Would like some information from past travellers in regards to which end of the channel to fish and any information in regards to the Houseboat Hire companies in the area. From our investigations, there are 2, one at Cardwell and one at Lucinda.
All Houseboat and Fishing information will be greatly appreciated.8-)

regards, Mark

kc
27-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Hi Mark,Do your homework on the boat you are planning to take. A fair size group of us hired 2 boats out of Port Hinchinbrook a few years ago and found the boats pretty "tired" (to be kind). That said most of the fleet got smashed in cyclone Yasi so insurance may have sorted the "tired" problem out. We took our own fishing boats as tenders so that part was fine and shot back in to the marina to top up fuel a couple of times. Pretty good service all round. Fishing was just OK (this was May) but it is such a big area it is easy to spend too much time travelling around. If I ever did it again I would just stick to Missionary bay and the creeks that run in plus a visit to the old ( I guess still not open) Hinchinbrook Island Wilderness Resort is pretty cool as is the grouper at the jetty plus only a short run to a bit of blue water action. We got macks, tuna and some nice fingermark around Gould Island. My opinion, if you want a true fishing houseboat experience, go to Weipa. If you want a family holiday with some fishing thrown in, then Hinchinbrook is a great spot, just pick a "newish" boat and take your own tender.

Rufus
02-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Hey KC, Thanks mate for this information. I showed the wife the houseboats at Weipa and her reply was, "your on your own" LOL. Were have done a bit of research and it appears the boats at Cardwell have all been restored, new interior and new motors. we have also found some boats at Lucinda, so not sure which end of the channel to go to.
I like the thought of chasing a few Fingermark, have heard they fight better than Jacks.

Its interesting, you are the only Ausfish person who has offered up any information, must be to far for most to go fishing !

I will let you know who we hire a boat with and how the fishing is.

Thanks again for your honest information. Mark

The Black Unicorn
03-02-2015, 07:15 AM
Are you taking your own boat as well? If so Lucinda is a nice place to stay. Has a few amenities and a pub! Close to launch and check different areas out on different days. I have stayed there a couple of times and love the place.

Rufus
03-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Thanks One More Drop. When you say Amenities, is there a supermarket, Butcher or do you have to go back to Ingham. Pub is always a must.

b j p
03-02-2015, 09:33 AM
I'm with One More Drop.

I've fished Lucinda about 5 times and stayed in Lucinda each time. We've hired small polycraft open boats from a local hire place (towing my boat up from Brisbane wasn't an option for me). From Lucinda, you can fish the Channel or head out to the Sugar Jetty. I personally prefer the Sugar Jetty. You can fish along it from anything from Whiting and flathead, to fingermark and salmon, to out the end with pelagics, reefies under the end and really a mystery bag of anything. The Channel is good, but there is a lot of water to cover if you don't know where you're fishing. There are a few easy to reach areas where the water drains off the flats and rock bars that always hold fish, but you can have quiet days. I wouldn't say fishing in the Channel is dynamite to any extreme. It's been fished hard for a long while. There are fish, but you generally need to work for them.

In Luncinda, we've always stayed at the pub, the accomodation is comfortable, the pub food/drinks are good and it is generally the centre of action in Lucinda so always a laugh to be had. I hear the caravan also had cabins which are pretty good. If you want luxury accomodation, there is a resort down near the boat ramp that looks the goods.

Last bit of advice, never speed in or around Lucinda/Ingham and always wear your seatbelt, even if on the boat ramp. There isn't much action up there and the local constabulary seem to think fining people driving off the boat ramp is good business.

Rufus
09-02-2015, 08:06 AM
Thanks b j p, much appreciated.

Also no looking at Cardwell and fishing Missionary Bay.

regards, Mark

rids01
09-02-2015, 09:21 PM
Beautiful spot up there. Big crocs have been seen around the Lucinda boat ramp, I recommend not launching in the dark.

marto78
10-02-2015, 07:16 AM
Have a chat to Roly the owner of Tackle World Tully he reguarly fishes Hinchinbrook and is a wealth of information for that area.

mortyb
10-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Rufus

There are a few threads like this one which cover alot of your questions.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php/186607-Lucinda-hinchinbrook?p=1415051#post1415051 (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php/186607-Lucinda-hinchinbrook?p=1415051#post1415051)

A 5 minute drive to Halifax from Lucinda gets you to an IGA, great butcher and 2 pubs. If you have a bad day on the water, the fish and chips at Lucinda I find pretty good. Spanish Mackeral is the 'dory' of north queensland. The Lions Hinchinbrook Fishing Classic is on around the time when you are there which is a great way to support a local club. I will be there for the classic. I am bias as I lived there but fishing the channel or jetty from Lucinda is pretty good. If you want your camping a bit quieter the Taylors Beach Caravan Park is not far from Halifax and therefore Lucinda.

Rufus
13-02-2015, 07:15 AM
Hey Mortyb, thanks, will follow this info up.