PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge and speedo - help!

jackamundi
25-01-2015, 08:48 AM
I have a HS 632F with a 175 Zuk (2008) and have had both the speedo and fuel gauges drop out on last trip.

Firstly, are there some easy checks I can do to see if it is the gauge or the sender on the fuel gauge?
Secondly, I am not sure as to how the speedo works...thinking it is via an impeller or a water pick up (but not sure).

Just wanting to find out if it is simply a need to replace both gauges, or a new sender and whatever for speedo.

Also, at this time, is it worth the $ to change over to digital?

Thanks in advance.

Jackamundi

Moonlighter
25-01-2015, 09:08 AM
The speedo works on water pressure. There is a tiny hole in the leading edge of the outboard leg just above the gearbox. Most likely a bit of grit or rubbish has blocked up the hole. A thin piece of wire poked in there will probably dislodge it and your speedo will work again.

the fuel gauge is most likely the sender unit. I haven't played with them as my boat doesn't have one, but have seen where you can test the sender at the tank with a multimeter to check voltage output. Google is your friend, or, someone else here will chime in with how to do it.

Your final question was regarding going digital.

Yes you can, although it's not exactly cheap.

On your Suzuki you can set up a NMEA 2000 network and connect your engine to it. You can then choose whether to install a dedicated engine data display (such as a Garmin GMI-20 or Suzuki SMIS or Lowrance LMF400; or, simply display the required data on a NMEA compatible GPS/Sounder display.

To to do this you will have the cost of:
-creating a simple NMEA 2000 network, starter kit is about $70
- Suzuki engine interface and adapter cable, about $200 or so
-plus the cost of the engine data display, depends on which one you choose, but expect at least $300 for the B&W Lowrance ones or $500+ for the Garmin.

This will get you a lot more engine and fuel related data than you have now, and if you also connect a GOS to it, you get live mpg data too.

Most likely you would still leave your analogue tacho in place as it has the warning lights required for engine fault codes.