PDA

View Full Version : New leccy, I pilot or foot control?

alleycat
22-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Still in the mind numbing process of buying an electric motor, settled n minn kota 55lb and now the next decision is foot control or I pilot, ie gps, I like the idea of being able to click a button and have the boat hold in the one spot, has anybody used the I pilot versus the foot control and has a comment??. thanks

scottar
22-01-2015, 01:03 PM
I-Pilot all the way for my money. I found foot control to be a PITA.

alleycat
22-01-2015, 01:09 PM
thanks scottar, atm the best I can do is the minn kota riptide 55 sp-ipilot for 1480$ motor only then the add ons, the foot pedal is 970 motor only..

scottar
22-01-2015, 02:13 PM
They certainly aren't cheap but worth the extra IMO. Prior to Ipilot we used the co-pilot system with the autopilot engauged and if you hooked up we just pointed the boat into the clear at minimum speed. I found I was a typical man with a decent barra charging around using the foot pedal - couldn't fight the fish and position the boat without drifting. It was ok if you were actively chasing something throught the sticks but it was when you were involved in the fight and not watching what else was going on - next thing you would drift into something. The Ipilot was even better with the spotlock. The other thing I found with the foot pedal was it tied me to the bow. At the time I had a centre console and actually wanted to drive from the stern so I didn't have to worry about a bow mounted sounder/gps. There is the argument that the pedal gives you hands free operation when you have a fish on but in practise I never had a problem.

aussiebasser
22-01-2015, 02:28 PM
iPilot is the ducks nuts. I have a foot pedal as well, but I never use it.

Peter4
22-01-2015, 02:54 PM
I hedged my bets and bought a foot pedal ($250) when I installed my Riptide Terrova with i-pilot more than three years ago...still have not used it.

Much prefer the remote (hanging around the neck from a lanyard) which with practice gives you more options and better control...

scottar
22-01-2015, 04:22 PM
The Terrova has a better stowage/deployment mechanism and has the Ipilot built in. If the price is acceptable, I would look at one of those.

rayken1938
22-01-2015, 07:14 PM
The wireless foot control coupled with the i pilot depending on how you use it. I have i pilot without foot control and I do a lot of maneuvering in amongst trees and it is a pain to have to use the hand controll to alter speed by clicking it up and down. Would be much easier with foot control as well.
Cheers
Ray

Funchy
23-01-2015, 05:46 AM
Gotta be iPilot AlleyCat. As stated above you can add the foot control as an added extra. The spot lock feature on the iPilot is worth the money alone.

alleycat
23-01-2015, 01:13 PM
Hmmm we have to keep in mind I haven't worked out my tv remote fully yet, are the hand controls easy to use?.

Funchy
23-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Very easy

Come up for a fish sometime on my rig and I'll show ya :-)

rayken1938
25-01-2015, 05:18 AM
This is what I want
http://youtu.be/y5ejwRj9t1Q
Cheers
Ray

alleycat
25-01-2015, 07:47 AM
Thanks everybody for the feedback, went and ordered the minn kota riptide 55lb with I pilot, will be there in 2 weeks...

toddo1
25-01-2015, 08:58 AM
Seen this yesty, unreal!! I still don't know if I'd be game to just dump boat in and hope leccy comes down lol