PDA

View Full Version : GPS security tracking devices

Crunchy
19-01-2015, 06:38 PM
Appreciate there have been threads on this subject before but it's a fast moving technology with possible recent entrants into the market.

looking for feedback / advice / experience anyone has had using a GPS tracking system. I contacted 2 local companies today and a little surprised at the upfront cost of the unit when can buy same unit OS for 1/10th price but of course you cannot supply your own units and sign up to their tracking software / service.

Situation is urgent so any feedback on different systems is most appreciated.

thanks kindly
C

Triple
19-01-2015, 06:44 PM
$40 one from aldi. $5 SIM card from aldi with 1yr expiry. Hard wired usb charger to battery and hidden unit in the car. Sends location via text with Google maps link or gps coordinates. Can setup if the car is moved more than a set distance or exceeds a set speed I will receive a text with coordinates. Only ongoing cost is topping up the SIM card with $15 once a year. Telstra sim will have better coverage but aldi suits my application and was in front of me when I bought the unit.

gford001
19-01-2015, 06:48 PM
$40 one from aldi. $5 SIM card from aldi with 1yr expiry. Hard wired usb charger to battery and hidden unit in the car. Sends location via Google maps or gps coordinates. Can setup if the car is moved more than a set distance or exceeds a set speed I will receive a text.
Yep similar to what I did. just got one off eBay, about $40, then put a sim in it, got the cheapest one from Telstra and put it on my existing account. all you do us text a number, it'll send back coordinates and a link to location on Google maps.
just have to power it, I used a small 12 volt battery hidden in the boat, and a solar panel to keep it topped up. simple to test it's working, just text it.

gford001
19-01-2015, 06:53 PM
If you're technically challenged, gimme a yell, can help you set it up.
Dodgy instructions for mine were in "Chinese eBay English".......

gford001
19-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Actually, mines sitting on the shelf unused...... could havev it if you want.

Crunchy
19-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Which one ya got Gford?

Bremic
20-01-2015, 04:42 AM
Was researching a downrigger and stumbled across this one.

http://www.downriggershop.com.au/gps-tracker.html

gford001
20-01-2015, 05:23 AM
Which one ya got Gford?
Just an eBay one. No brand really, fro China. Works ok though.

Crunchy
20-01-2015, 09:19 AM
What part of town you in?

gford001
20-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Mango hill.

LonxBW
21-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Tk103 here from ebay for about $60 with $10 Optus sim every 6 months. Battery built in good for 3 months on standby mode, geofencing so I'm alerted if it leaves my street basically. Lots more features.

gford001
21-01-2015, 07:24 PM
Sounds similar to mine, mines a tk110. no internal battery though.

Crunchy
22-01-2015, 08:52 AM
Its been interesting researching this, professional tracking companies charge between $750 - $2,000 for the unit and between $27 - $35/month monitoring fee + an activation charge. These tend to be overkill for simple stolen boat recovery and more suited to full on fleet monitoring. The advantage of the more expensive units ($2K) is they do not transmit the data via mobile phone but via the satellites, I guess like our EPIRBs do. The cheapo $150 Jaycar type units seem to work but difficult to set up, may not work well unless in direct line of sight (I.e. performance effected if hidden under fibreglass) and limited battery life (E.g. 3 days if your lucky).

Thanks for the heads up on TK103 will check it out as three months battery life pretty good.

fishing111
22-01-2015, 09:57 AM
Crunchy have you thought of other ways to visually deter as well as some hidden precautions that don't involve tracking? My concern with tracking is I don't want my boat to leave the premises period trusting some $40 buck thing with Chinglish instructions. If you think about it there are ways to make sure your boat won't get far, you just have to make a solution suitable for yourself.

Crunchy
22-01-2015, 12:25 PM
Yes mate certainly have other physical deterrents in place but professional thieves can overcome these very quickly.