PDA

View Full Version : Drying anchor rope

jclay1773
17-01-2015, 09:18 PM
On an offshore boat using a few hundred metres of anchor rope, how do people dry it at home after the boat clean?

thank john

Feral
17-01-2015, 09:43 PM
What type of rope are you using? I would have thought most anchor rope these days would not "get wet" ?

Gon Fishun
17-01-2015, 11:58 PM
Hang it on the Hills Hoist. Takes a shit load o pegs but.

Noelm
18-01-2015, 07:33 AM
​I don't see a lot of need to dry out your anchor rope, but if you must, when you get home, just spread it out on the deck, when it's dry, put it back where ever it is normally stored.

shaungonemad
18-01-2015, 08:54 AM
I dry mine in the anchor well.

FisHard
18-01-2015, 09:52 AM
Yep, just leave the anchor well open for the rope to breathe.

Triple
18-01-2015, 09:59 AM
Depending on the rope, Uv's will probably do more damage than water will...

Fed
18-01-2015, 10:21 AM
If you're worried about salt in an alloy boat then the salt will still be there even after it's dried.
You could run it through the washing machine, full cycle ->suds, cuddly, rinse & spin dry. :)
Sounds like a wife job to me.

jclay1773
18-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Thanks guy. I have been flushing the anchor well with fresh water. I usually leave boat out in the sun for a day after using it to dry everything, hatches open. I then put it in the shed with hatches still open.

Too much rope rope to hang up somewhere. It's your standard silver anchor rope.
Thanks again.

Darren Mc
18-01-2015, 03:42 PM
I reckon just give it a good hose off in the anchor well, let it drain then leave the hatch open. It'll dry out eventually.
That's what i have always done and never had a problem with the anchor rope.

theoldlegend
18-01-2015, 06:45 PM
Hang it on the Hills Hoist. Takes a shit load o pegs but.

You have to use the same colour pegs for the whole job too. It won't dry properly if you don't.

Still_Dreamin
18-01-2015, 10:41 PM
Yep, just leave the anchor well open for the rope to breathe.

Same here. I leave hose running in anchor well until it overflows then let it drain through the drain holes. Park the boat in shed with top of anchor well open. Dries nicely. A couple of times the lid has shut and it has just sweat in there until it was opened again. I had some time t the last time I cleaned the boat so I pulled all the rope out and lay it back and forth on the driveway. It dried really quick and also gave me a chance to check on its condition. 3 years old and still looked brand new

Noelm
19-01-2015, 06:50 AM
My anchor rope is probably 10years old and never been dried out purposely, it has dried at times of course, but it is also still OK, every now and then I just cut about a metre off the end and re-splice it to get rid off the frazzled end, my anchor well is also left closed, but then, it's a glass boat, so not worried about corrosion.

LittleSkipper
19-01-2015, 07:11 AM
Once you've stretched out that coupla hundred metres of rope attach a couple of cans and talk to your neighbours from the next suburb.[emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk