PDA

View Full Version : Vale Vic McCristal

Horse
14-01-2015, 06:47 PM
It would appear that Vic McCristal passed away today aged 86. For those who do not know of him, he was Australia's premier fishing writer during the 60's through to the 80's. He was arguable our best outdoors writer of all time and wrote a number of books as well as magazine articles.
I walked into Mossops back in 1974 as a skinny 14 year old and bought myself an ABU 5000C baitcaster inspired by his tales of the North. He combined environmental ethics and fishing in the way it should be seen and his writing inspired a generation of anglers.
RIP Vic

bigbrian47
14-01-2015, 06:55 PM
horse not only is he a legend to us older brigade
he was a gentleman to boot
i met him in cardwell years ago
he certainly was a wealth of knowledge
r.i.p

davo
14-01-2015, 06:59 PM
A true legend. He inspired me also. I just think that his writings are something that unfortunately are a thing of the past. Back then if wanted a rod you built it, a lure was very basic and there was very little electronics. It took me years to get all his books and I still read them. I suppose I am in that age group, but it amazes me how many fishermen don't know who he is.

SHOOTER1
14-01-2015, 08:37 PM
A true gentleman of the sport. We owe him so much personally. He inspired a generation. A legend and an innovator . Quodes and tight lines Vic thank-you so much.

Shark Poker
14-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Horse you must have been doing alright , or indeed very determined, to be able to walk in and buy an abu 5000 back in those days.
My Dad bought one in Singapore in 1977.
It is not the first time you have mentioned Vic McCristal. So Thanks for keeping the legend alive.
I still have that old green lure, with Vic McCristal written on it, that was pulled out of a snag at low tide in the Commera River back in the mid 1990's.
We knew it was no ordinary lure. There were too many teeth holes in it.
Used it once off a mates jetty and caught a nice flathead.
Still got it.

Horse
14-01-2015, 09:41 PM
Horse you must have been doing alright , or indeed very determined, to be able to walk in and buy an abu 5000 back in those days.

Paul, I was very determined and spent months saving for it. It would have cost a lot more than most people would earn in a week. I still have the reel as they built them properly in those days. Vic certainly inspired me and I appreciate the many years of enjoyment I have gained from the sport

Short Fuse
14-01-2015, 09:53 PM
It is with a deep sadness that I can confirm that Vic did pass away today.

His health deteriorated post Cyclone Yasi, and he became a resident of the Rockingham Nursing Home in Cardwell. He suffered a stroke yesterday afternoon, and deteriorated further during the night. Marina Hoare (ex president of ANSA Qld) was at his bedside today until his passing and reported that he went peacefully and quietly, but in no pain. He died at approximately 11.45am today.

It is right that many of todays recreational anglers may not know of him, but without fail there is not an angler amoung us today who has not directly benefited from his writings, knowledge and passion for fishing, and the directions he helped steer recreational fishing towards throughout the late 1960s and 1970s. He truly did inspire a generation of anglers and was instrumental in changing the way Australians in that era fished. He was a life member of the Australian National Sportfishing Association (national body) and also the Queensland Branch of ANSA. The follwoing quote from the history of ANSA may give some insight into how important he was considered to be for modern sportfishing.

"The Australian National Sportfishing Association formally started in 1967 when a group of dedicated Sportfishers met at Yorkeys Knob in Cairns. Fourteen "barefoot yobbos" under the stewardship of Vic McCristal and George Bryden put into some order their ideas of fishing for sport and enjoyment. From that time on they determined to promote sportfishing under the motto "sport, conservation, integrity". A group of forward thinking Sportfishers who were working towards the same ends traveled from Sydney to meet with this group. The outcome of that meeting is the Australia wide Organisation that exists today."

I had the pleasure of meeting Vic many times during my time on the State Executive of ANSA Qld. We looked forward to the times when he travelled to Yeppoon to attend our annual conference, and he never failed to provide insightful advice and a great depth of knowledge towards our organisation and the way in which we should promote recreational fishing in Queensland. It was always wonderful to be able to sit at the after dinner table and to listed to his stories and anecdotes about the early days of modern sportfishing. He will be sorely missed by all those who knew him, and considered him a great friend.

RIP Vic.

Jeff Sorrell.

Tangles
14-01-2015, 09:57 PM
that certainly was an era Horse and he was part of it for many, Mossops in their original store used to have a big smilie face on the roof too at one stage ?, i remember getting going to Mossops as well as a young teen and getting a Synder Rock Raider 140g with a big Alvey as a young teen and going to Straddie, camping near the Surf Club on the hill and rock fishing at the George, the seat was a slab of xxxx.. still have them both, i reckon the outfit today would happily pull up a big red too if needed as it made short work of jewies of the rocks but dont know if the user ie me could handle throwing big 100g plus slugs off the rocks with the alvey today… thanks for the post

aussiebasser
15-01-2015, 07:16 AM
As a young bloke, my imagination was fuelled by Vic's writings. He was a true wordsmith, and probably the most respected of Australia's fishing writers. RIP Vic.

Here's a Youtube clip of McSea, Jack Erskine and Harro sharing a boat and a hot Barra bite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XCdqPUTcPBg

theoldlegend
15-01-2015, 08:24 AM
that certainly was an era Horse and he was part of it for many, Mossops in their original store used to have a big smilie face on the roof too at one stage ?, i remember getting going to Mossops as well as a young teen and getting a Synder Rock Raider 140g with a big Alvey as a young teen and going to Straddie, camping near the Surf Club on the hill and rock fishing at the George, the seat was a slab of xxxx.. still have them both, i reckon the outfit today would happily pull up a big red too if needed as it made short work of jewies of the rocks but dont know if the user ie me could handle throwing big 100g plus slugs off the rocks with the alvey today… thanks for the post

I'd throw that slab out if I were you Tangles - they probably wouldn't be any good by now.

theoldlegend
15-01-2015, 08:25 AM
Yes, I can certainly remember reading his articles many years ago. Great loss.

TOL

roz
28-01-2015, 12:36 PM
It would appear that Vic McCristal passed away today aged 86. For those who do not know of him, he was Australia's premier fishing writer during the 60's through to the 80's. He was arguable our best outdoors writer of all time and wrote a number of books as well as magazine articles.
I walked into Mossops back in 1974 as a skinny 14 year old and bought myself an ABU 5000C baitcaster inspired by his tales of the North. He combined environmental ethics and fishing in the way it should be seen and his writing inspired a generation of anglers.
RIP Vic

I've just noticed this post, how very sad.

I used to read his articles in my fishing mags.

There is one thing that is now more precious than ever, I have his signature as National President of the Australian National Sportfishing Association (A.N.S.A.) on a record I once held, I remember seeing his signature when the certificate was sent to me.
Back then I was thrilled, not so much with the record but Vic's signature. have it sitting next to me here, now more precious than ever.

Rest in Peace

Chep Buxley
19-03-2015, 05:54 PM
If he was a footballer they would have statues of him at every ground. True legend. RIP.

pegasus
19-03-2015, 06:46 PM
RIP Vic- thank you for the huge contribution to the fishing faternity-, stories, articles , knowledge over the years. Happy fishing.

randell
20-03-2015, 05:58 AM
RIP Vic, I loved your articles in Modern Fishing.
randell