PDA

View Full Version : best knot for large lures (ie) popper,stick baits

Jsmfun
14-01-2015, 12:38 PM
got a couple of days away and the only useful knot i know tying to tackle is the uni but i am unsure if it is the best knot for heavy takle.(80-120lb leader to split ring)
if anybody has some other sugestions they would be appreciated
as there must be a stronger knot out there.
I've 4 days to learn any sugestions
cheers scott

PROS
14-01-2015, 02:33 PM
have a look at Trilene Knot,
similar to uni but it locks better I think.
I have been using it for a long time with lock drags, no problems

Max

Jsmfun
14-01-2015, 02:48 PM
that looks good PROS
has it ever damage the leader when pulling it up tight or do you just ease it towards the lure

PROS
14-01-2015, 03:19 PM
No damage, make sure to lubricate it well and pull the knot tight while bringing the knot down all the way.
It goes twice through the eye of the hook, as a result less chance of loosing the lure to abrasion.

Billy C
14-01-2015, 03:53 PM
This is the very first knot I learnt. I use it for hooks and swivels from 8lb to 80lb. It is a brilliant knot. Geoff Wilson has it in one of his fishing knot books and states it is one of the strongest knots he knows. I agree.

Triple
14-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Palomar took the win against the Trilene in knot wars only due to its performance in their superline test but both rated 100% breaking strength. I find the palomar just simpler to tie but i don't push the doubled up line through first, I just go through once and loop it back through.. Just have to do a much bigger loop to fit over your lure and you waste a bit of leader.

http://youtu.be/91aqhBQFLPk

FisHard
14-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Using PE 8 and 120-200 leaders, I've never had an issue with the uni knot to connect leader to swivel. It's best to use a swivel in front of the split ring.

Jsmfun
15-01-2015, 10:42 AM
i was not sure if i should put a swivel on the split ring thanks that would make changing lures eiser as well thanks

b j p
16-01-2015, 08:15 AM
I'm with FisHard on this one, a swivel onto the lure will not only help change lures very easily, but it will also reduce twist in your line. You can connect to the swivel with your choices of a trilene or uni knot. Tied properly, either of them will be fine.

Just make sure you buy quality snap swivels that are size appropriate to your line and lure :)

Marchy001
30-01-2015, 09:21 PM
For GT's I always used a 80-100lb twisted leader with a solid ring and split ring at the end. Around 200lb rings are heavy enough and don't fatigue much if any.

Loop to loop connection at braid and a uni to the solid ring (with superglue or flared ends to stop slip) Then just heavy split ring pliers to change lures. Leaders would last a very long time normally cut off in reef before wear and tear got them.
Same set up works with single heavy leader too but twisted seemed to hold hooks in better.
Never any issues with line twist that I recall.

I would be careful with snap swivels they fatigue quickly and loose strength.

Jsmfun
31-01-2015, 07:41 PM
I ended up tying a fg knot 80lb braid to 200lb leader and used a crimp to swivel on my heavy setup and
fg knot to 50lb to 120lb leader with a 4 turn uni . Neither knots let me down apart from a rushed fg that I did not tie correctly .(it cost me $60) my fault.

Thanks for all your help people
cheers Scott