PDA

View Full Version : recarpeting floor

JEWIENEWIE
13-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Guys,
After my latest crabbing trip or should i say during, I put my foot through the floor of my Boat.( that's what happens when an inexperienced crabber has three muddies running around the bottom of the boat, I was Folk Dancing in the tinny!) Ply rotten as. In the middle of replacing the whole floor and would like to know what Glue should i use to glue carpet down to Marine ply. Any tips on what NOT to do would be appreciated also.
Thanks,
JN

scottar
13-01-2015, 12:21 PM
Personally I just seal the ply with several coats of decking oil and leave the carpet removable. Stops any corrosion issues created by wet carpet in contact with alloy, makes it easier to clean and reapply the oil periodically. I have never had an issue with carpet slipping but if you are concerned there is always press studs or velcro. I try and have the carpet so it is slightly oversize and wraps up the sides of the tinny so it catches any crap. If you are going to glue the carpet down, make sure the ply is well sealed with something other than oil and use contact adhesive.

JEWIENEWIE
13-01-2015, 12:48 PM
Whats the better option form peoples experiences, pros and cons of glueing or not glueing. Never thought of not glueing it down as was just going to replace it the way i bought it......Thanks scottar for another option.
JN

ozynorts
13-01-2015, 03:06 PM
I found that carpet is much easier to clean if you can take it out. I used to hang it on the fence and spray and all the crap could be washed out. Found that when it was glued in I could never get it properly clean.

JEWIENEWIE
13-01-2015, 03:30 PM
I agree with the above pro but only thing I am thinking is that I will be putting the boat up for sale shortly after I replace floor, bimini canvas, throttle cables, and want it looking its best. Just my opinion it would look better glued and tucked around edges of ply then screwed down to mounts on tinny as it was when I purhased new, but practicality wise in cleaning.....
JN

scottar
13-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Thats pretty much the go with it. Even with my Victory, I have another lot of carpet that covers the glued in stuff that catches all the bits of bait etc. About the only thing that occasionally gets to the glued in carpet is if a fish bleeds like a stuck pig prior to getting a good enough grip on it to get it back outside the cockpit. Most if not all the small loose bits of weed, bait, line, potato chip courtesy of the kid - whatever, get rolled up and removed in one go. Sure the boat will look a bit prettier with the carpet glued in but no one ever accused me of being pretty.

scottar
13-01-2015, 03:41 PM
I agree with the above pro but only thing I am thinking is that I will be putting the boat up for sale shortly after I replace floor, bimini canvas, throttle cables, and want it looking its best. Just my opinion it would look better glued and tucked around edges of ply then screwed down to mounts on tinny as it was when I purhased new, but practicality wise in cleaning.....
JN

That changes things. It will appeal to some people either way but the majority would be used to seeing it glued in and around the edges.

Noelm
13-01-2015, 06:08 PM
Contact adhesive, buy good carpet, not department store rubbish, and you're done.

JEWIENEWIE
13-01-2015, 06:37 PM
I am gunna do both! That way its easy for me to clean and when I go to sell her, take out insert and she will look the goods.
Thanks guys,
JN

stevebris
13-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Contact adhesive is ok but fake grass adhesive is even better!
You can buy it from bunnings. I've used it on a couple of boats and never bubbles or lets a corner up.

Dignity
13-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Contact adhesive is ok but fake grass adhesive is even better!
You can buy it from bunnings. I've used it on a couple of boats and never bubbles or lets a corner up.

Steve beat me to it but the artificial grass adhesive gives you plenty of time to put it on, it does have a negative side in that it takes a while to set properly however it is waterproof once applied. On mine I painted it with FG resin first as I intend to keep the boat, then applied the grass glue and then the carpet, cut it oversize everywhere and you can trim as you go along, one of the advantages of the grass glue. Also before you put start gluing place the carpet over the ply and use a heat gun around where you are going to bend the carpet, not sure who put me onto that one (possibly Noelm) but it makes it a lot easier to work with. With the grass glue it also pays to put some weights on it over night to make sure it doesn't lift.

juggernaut
13-01-2015, 07:58 PM
I'm currently recarpeting my Quinnie and had tossed up using contact and fake grass adhesive. I went with Kwik Grip contact adhesive (also from Bunnings). I'd figured if the contact adhesive used by Telwater in the Quintrex I'd inherited lasted the previous 10 years without lifting or bubbling - it must be OK.

The Kwik Grip is instant grab which I find easier when wrapping the carpet around the edges of the boards as you can do away without the need for clamping which I understand is necessary for the fake grass adhesive.

juggernaut
13-01-2015, 08:03 PM
Dignity - I found the Kwik Grip slightly softens the carpet backing whilst its going off making it easier to fold and does away with the need for the heat gun. Once cured its sets hard.

scorpo92
13-01-2015, 08:21 PM
I'm currently recarpeting my Quinnie and had tossed up using contact and fake grass adhesive. I went with Kwik Grip contact adhesive (also from Bunnings). I'd figured if the contact adhesive used by Telwater in the Quintrex I'd inherited lasted the previous 10 years without lifting or bubbling - it must be OK.

The Kwik Grip is instant grab which I find easier when wrapping the carpet around the edges of the boards as you can do away without the need for clamping which I understand is necessary for the fake grass adhesive.
I used kwik grip on my cast deck.was easy to use and stuck quick.

Noelm
14-01-2015, 07:33 AM
Yep, a heat gun makes right angle bends simple, I like quick grip, but grass glue would be good too, one thing is certain, make sure you have a good cut off device, a Stanley knife is best, and change the blade regularly, you need to be able to just slide the blade along in one smooth operation, not hack at it, and be careful of carpet burns on your knuckles.....

Dignity
15-01-2015, 07:38 AM
The other advantage I found with carpet grass glue was you only needed it on one surface, mess messy to prepare

Feral
15-01-2015, 07:51 AM
Get rubber backed outdoor carpet from Clark rubber or similar place, dont glue it down, mine has never moved. Much better than the stuff they sell as "marine carpet" which has no backing and tends to slide if not glued down (and let the water through to your floor ply!)

Noelm
15-01-2015, 04:36 PM
The rubber backed carpet weighs a ton when wet, and stays wet for ages, any carpet not glued down will slip from under you of you lean over the side, trust me, I know all about that.....