PDA

View Full Version : repetitive repair or buy a new vessel?

simsavage
07-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Has anyone ever faced this question?

I bought a savage javelin with a 69 evinrude (55hp) on the back of it for $3000.
I later realised that this bloke saw me coming. I've spent a good $1500 on the boat + motor and it has been great for the last year. Kneeboarding and fishing are the most common uses.
I went to take it out a few weekends ago and it would start. turns out I have a perished fuel line and some dodgy wiring.
Being such an old motor I'm worried that these issues are just going to continue and the boat will become more of a hassle then anything.

Now I'm considering getting her going again and selling it (it will be sad) so I can buy something a bit more reliable.
or keeping it and running it into the ground.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated

PROS
07-01-2015, 02:43 PM
every boat will require continuous maintenance regardless old or new.
All parts in the boat have mid-short life span.
Wiring and lines are easy and cheap to replace, engine is not so cheap.
Comes down to feel of the engine, if you trust it than all good.
Nothing worst than questioning your engine on water.

simsavage
07-01-2015, 03:02 PM
Thanks PROS
Perhaps more regular servicing will keep me out of trouble. Usually (90%) or the time I'm confident in the engine
Thanks again

Chimo
07-01-2015, 03:14 PM
There would appear to be little chance; given where you live, of you being stranded in the middle of the ocean if you breakdown.

IMHO have a good OMC marine tech give your engine a good going over and then regularly service it.

The savage jav was a great little boat and with some tlc and regular servicing by someone who has the correct skills should serve you for years.

Lets face it cars and boat are never going to be classed as assets' they are liabilities just like credit cards, and never more so than when you want a big loan from a bank.

Cheers
Chimo

Darren Mc
07-01-2015, 10:56 PM
I reckon like Chimo said, get it checked out and serviced by a pro. If the report is ok,keep it and just use it till it stops. Wouldn't hurt to keep your eye out for another motor at the right price. You never know what might pop up down the track.
I'm assuming the hull is quite ok of course.
Atleast you won't have to stress about scratching it or anything.

GBC
08-01-2015, 06:36 AM
We had a 2 cyl 55 in our family for a long time - 20 odd years?. Mechanics call them hand grenades because you will hear a pin let go and if you don't shut it down in the next 5 seconds and explosion will occur as a piston vents the block. This did not happen to ours however, and we had lots of fun times with it. If it has only done fresh water work then you'll probably escape the pinholes in the exhaust issue they also had. As stated above, have an old outboard mechanic look over it to forecast future issues so you can then weigh up your options. Fuel lines etc are just consumables. I'd keep it going until something major dies on it assuming your life doesn't depend on the motor going? Skiing near weirs etc?

Noelm
08-01-2015, 07:07 AM
The problem 55,s were from the late 70's to the very early 80's, that said, your motor is as old as the hills, if the hull is OK, look for a later model second hand motor, probably from a dealer that will offer warranty and fitting and so on.

simsavage
08-01-2015, 03:15 PM
The hull is in top notch condition. I would like something with a bit more grunt but saying that I am happy with the power of the 55HP. It is enough for plenty of fun on the water.
The main issue I'm facing with upgrading motors is the 55 is a short shaft and they seem to be hard to come across.
would give anything to have electric tilt and trim by the way

Darren Mc
08-01-2015, 03:50 PM
What do you think of tohatsu motor's? Maybe one of those new might be reasonably priced.