PDA

View Full Version : Formosa boats thoughts?

j_man_84
06-01-2015, 08:27 PM
Hey guys just a quick one thinking the other day about moving up to something fibreglass, centre console/halfcab maybe (for kids). But everything I like is to pricey for a youngster such as myself so stick with alloy it is. Not to mention I want something I can still crab from, flick plastics around the estuary, bay fish on the right day and also be as toddler friendly as possible. So yes like we all do I want a boat to do it all well as close to for me. I came across the Formosa 16ft (almost) side console down at amc at slacks creek. Wow are they big for what they are, 2300mm beam, high sides, 4mm bottom with 3mm sides just a very well built tinny by the looks of things. They are deep enough for the youngster to have a sleep on the front deck on a custom made deck cushion of course and under a bimini and with the sides being so deep hopefully be out of the wind. That way I still get full use of fishing around the whole boat, flicking wherever I wish and also getting up the creeks crabbing (with gaf) and have the heavy duty of thick alloy that can take a beating.

Anyway enough about me whats your thoughts on these boats would love to hear from owners or friends of owners about how these boats perform (packaged with 70 suzi) and any positive or negative feedback would be great.

They seem the goods to me just want some confirmation on what im thinking.

Thanks guys

Jono

mitc69
07-01-2015, 06:55 AM
idk aluminium has always been a lower class :) since there great for beginners well at least for me anyway where fibreglass was the upper class has you need exp to not sink it :)
friend has a 650 centre cabin... hard rocky ride, light, towable, no need to worrie about rust, enjoy the scratches and best of all cheap as hell, beside from my exp matter how thick it is... come at any speed over 20knot and 100% hole if u hit rock :)

what your looking for maybe you should consider bowride boats.. kids in the font or back, alot of room.. you might just need a custom top cover :)

oldie
07-01-2015, 08:34 PM
like TAB hard riding flat entry boats max beam/depth style boat not necessarily the best option the hull thickness means nothing when you slapping hard

j_man_84
08-01-2015, 05:47 AM
like TAB hard riding flat entry boats max beam/depth style boat not necessarily the best option the hull thickness means nothing when you slapping hard

I did notice they seemed a bit flat on entry. good point!!

j_man_84
08-01-2015, 05:49 AM
thoughts on something similar with much sharper entry?

oldie
08-01-2015, 06:57 PM
sharpest entry is on a blade hull from what i can see, so a Quintrex 460 or 490 Renegade side console and looking online with a 4stroke they come in at good prices, i'm a fan of the new Merc 75-115 range 2.1l capacity too, ill look at one of these when i'm in a position to upgrade again from the 14 ft tinny

nickgrab
09-01-2015, 08:51 AM
The Quintrex Renegade is a very soft riding tinnie, I have a 440 and it's a lot nicer in chop than my previous boats which were a Clark abalone 4.3 and a Trailcraft CC 5.0. The Renegade dosn't offer a lot of internal freeboard though with the front and rear casting decks.

goat boy
09-01-2015, 09:52 AM
I have a 4.8m cc searod (Formosa) and like it alot. It rides alot better than my previous pressed alloy tinny but then it cost alot more too. They are very well built and Duncan the owner is very personable and open to mods etc in the build process (factory at tingalpa). It performs very well for what I do with it, I have a 90 4 st and I have the figures etc on it if you want me to pm. Although I will be changing the prop over shortly. They're not cheap compared to other tinnies around like the Clarks etc but the quality is great and it would def do all that you seem to want it for and more. Coastal powerboats at tweed heads is also a dealer for the Formosa searods.

ric
09-01-2015, 12:53 PM
I can probably offer some realistic feedback since I have been through the Formosa factory a number of times and have previously owned a Formosa (550 Half Cab).

The hull is an excellent compromise. The flatter dead rise in the hull leads to excellent stability at rest, plus very good fuel economy. The broad shoulders on the bow give you lots of cabin/forward space, plus is far easier to handle in a following sea/large chop.

oldie
09-01-2015, 07:42 PM
there a Quintrex Dealer in Tweed Heads Also so atleast you get to check both out if down that way, a 550 is a much different boat than a 4.7m so hard to take that comparison into account, its worth checking them both out and see if the formosa is worth the extra 5 or so k

Si
11-01-2015, 09:08 PM
thoughts on something similar with much sharper entry?

Very high sides, deep v, reverse chines on a Sea Jay territory or wanderer or similar. Renowned for their quality of build, great ride on the rough stuff. Piss all over telwater sht in every aspect.
Bowrider is a great allrounder option.

Dan5
11-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Very high sides, deep v, reverse chines on a Sea Jay territory or wanderer or similar. Renowned for their quality of build, great ride on the rough stuff. Piss all over telwater sht in every aspect.
Bowrider is a great allrounder option.

Their Ranger is a good looking little rig for the money....4.7 rated to 70hp.........I was checking them out as a Barra boat a month or so ago.....well built little boat.

Dan