PDA

View Full Version : Securing Anchor on Roller during travelling

PROS
05-01-2015, 05:05 PM
Now that most of the reno work is done and last weeks test run was all successful, I need to sort out the anchoring.

New anchor roller is installed and need to find a way to secure the anchor to roller for travelling.
There are two problems when I insert the anchor to the roller; anchor leg wants to go up, and anchor wants to go forward.

I was thinking to make an upside down "U" shape sleeve so the leg can be inserted into this sleeve.
I can use the existing last two bolt holes at the boat end for my sleeve and this will stop the upward movement of the anchor leg.

How can I stop it going forward?

Doesn't that anchor look ugly on top of the new stainless steel!!!

I cant justify electric winch for what little anchoring to be done.
My anchoring is mostly done inside the bay under 15mts of water, happy to pull the anchor up by hand or fender assist.

Max

PROS
05-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Forgot the pics

PixieAU
05-01-2015, 05:11 PM
If I'm reading this properly, there was a similar thread on here not long ago and a general thought was that it was best to put the anchor in it's well when under way to avoid it coming loose and causing a more significant problem

PROS
05-01-2015, 05:16 PM
If I'm reading this properly, there was a similar thread on here not long ago and a general thought was that it was best to put the anchor in it's well when under way to avoid it coming loose and causing a more significant problem

I think that was a small polly boat, concern was the boat structure would be too weak to hold the anchor and roller.

At 6mt+ boat and fiberglass with reinforcement bow, my assumption was no problems with travel stress.

marto78
05-01-2015, 05:24 PM
What kind of bollard do you have for tieing the anchor rope too, can you lash the chain to that somehow when under way?

shaungonemad
05-01-2015, 05:38 PM
You can get a bollard with a pin in it to go through the chain. If it was mine I would just take that loop off the roller and put the anchor in the well it would be one less thing that rattles and moves around.

shaungonemad
05-01-2015, 05:41 PM
It looks like it is more suited to heavier plough type anchors not sand anchors.

PROS
05-01-2015, 05:47 PM
What kind of bollard do you have for tieing the anchor rope too, can you lash the chain to that somehow when under way?
I don't have one yet...
Great idea though.
I can wrap the chain to bollard or source a bollard with split pin which I can lock it to the chain.
That will stop the forward movement.

I would need to attach the bollard flush behind to the roller as that is the reinforced beam.
How can I redirect the rope and chain to inside the boat?
That open hatch in the pic has a full lid normally.

PROS
05-01-2015, 05:59 PM
It looks like it is more suited to heavier plough type anchors not sand anchors.

Have to admit I am halfway there giving up on the idea as well.
Doing all that sanding, priming and painting the full boat, raised hardtop, new outboard, new carpet, ettc all... I am bit shy to put a scratch on the hull with chain & anchor

Need a good weather to go out fishing so I can put some battle scars on and get back to my origins

shaungonemad
05-01-2015, 06:10 PM
I think it will be easier to pull it all inside out of the way.

scottar
05-01-2015, 06:31 PM
the hatch will need to be modified and to be honest I think you will need a stainless protective plate over the top of your glass similar to the one on my Victory - which is scratched to hell from the chain. If not that hard reno work isn't staying to shiny for long. Might be an awful lot easier to remove the hoop from the roller and store the pick internally

Knotpretty
05-01-2015, 06:47 PM
Carry mine in a tub in the cabin. Launch and recover from the side of boat using a float. KP

PROS
05-01-2015, 07:55 PM
the hatch will need to be modified and to be honest I think you will need a stainless protective plate over the top of your glass similar to the one on my Victory - which is scratched to hell from the chain. If not that hard reno work isn't staying to shiny for long. Might be an awful lot easier to remove the hoop from the roller and store the pick internally

you guys converted me to take the easy route, ;D will store it all inside the front hatch.
There is actually a rope & anchor storage area underneath that roller inside.

Carry mine in a tub in the cabin. Launch and recover from the side of boat using a float. KP

I used to do that as well but going to front to tie up to bow was an issue.
My hardtop is almost full width, couple of times trying to walk to front solo in rough weather I was almost arse over

scottar
06-01-2015, 09:37 AM
I used to do that as well but going to front to tie up to bow was an issue.
My hardtop is almost full width, couple of times trying to walk to front solo in rough weather I was almost arse over

One thing I have done over the years in my dads boat because he keeps his anchor down the back due to no storage up front, is to have a permanent line fitted to the bollard that goes through the bow roller, then wraps around the side of the boat and is secured in the cockpit. You then tie this into the anchor line when you want to anchor using a bowline (because they will always undo even after being loaded) and pay the rest of the line out until the line to the bow takes up then secure off. To retrieve, we simply start the boat and idle up to take the weight off while someone pulls the anchor in over the side. Two things to take into account when doing this - make the permanent line long enough that it gives a bit of length to tie the knot but short enough that if it gets loose it cant foul in the propeller and when you deploy the anchor, keep the weight off the rope using the motor until you have the knot tied.

Fed
06-01-2015, 10:32 AM
I know you're not looking for a power winch but I've often wondered how these would go in bays & rivers.
http://www.powerwinch.com/powerwinch/controller?action=product&c=2&p=15
Have a look at the manual at the bottom of the page, slick bit of gear for sheltered waters.