PDA

View Full Version : Favourite knots

snokeen01
04-01-2015, 10:09 AM
Just wondering what peoples favourite knots are for braid to leader. Thinking of changing the current knot and want something that's quick and easy to tie.

Bremic
04-01-2015, 10:24 AM
Albright for me, braid to mono or heavy mono to lighter mono.

Funchy
04-01-2015, 11:23 AM
FG knot

Youtube is your friend on this

shaungonemad
04-01-2015, 12:08 PM
Back to back uni knot I find it doesn't get stuck on the runners like an albright.

Knotpretty
04-01-2015, 12:28 PM
Uni Knot on everything, can not remember any others. kp

scottar
04-01-2015, 12:30 PM
Slim Beauty is another option

odes20
04-01-2015, 01:22 PM
I do a variation of an albright called a no name knot

if you google it, I do a variation of it. I do four wraps up and three back then cynch it up. Using 60 leader

Nslfishing
04-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Uni to uni here. Hasnt failed me yet so I keep using it :)

alleycat
04-01-2015, 02:37 PM
When using lighter gear like 3kg braid to 5kg leader its uni to uni for sure, 4 wraps on leader to 6 wraps on braid and pull each knot tight before pulling together, this is the key.

Moonlighter
04-01-2015, 03:28 PM
The GT (sometimes called Sebille) knot is the only braid to leader knot I now use.

Strong, very slim so it goes thru guides easily, and easy to tie.

This is the method I follow:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4R3_znSAPz8

back2boats
04-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Have always used back to back uni-knots, but recently started trying a 5 turn surgeon's knot. The surgeon's knot has been working well so far, although a 2 turn knot definitely slips, which is why I went to 5 turns.

Dogtoooth
04-01-2015, 09:23 PM
Bimini twist to albight, braid to mono. Love this combo.

odes20
04-01-2015, 09:59 PM
Yep the sebile is the slimest knot you can tie, iilove it, but a bit slow for qiuck retie
The GT (sometimes called Sebille) knot is the only braid to leader knot I now use.

Strong, very slim so it goes thru guides easily, and easy to tie.

This is the method I follow:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4R3_znSAPz8

Crunchy
04-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Have gone full circle and ended back at back to back uni, easy to tie and very reliable. GT knot good too but harder to tie well when on the water bouncing around

Luc
05-01-2015, 10:49 AM
I've been used the Yucatan knot for some time without problems.
Has the bonus of being quick to tie during a hot bite!!

Crunchy
05-01-2015, 12:46 PM
I have found the Yucatan know to fail on some braid / mono combinations for some reason. Lots of spontaneous failures on 20lb FC Rock with Fins braid, can't work it out as had been using that knot for many years without a problem - uni-uni solved the problem.

Jsmfun
05-01-2015, 07:25 PM
I rig all my leaders with the fg knot at home before I leave the shed (braid to mono) and make sure they are 100%.
Then if I need to rig up on on the boat quickly I tie back to back uni knot.
but never had the fg knot fail when tied correctly

Funchy
05-01-2015, 07:45 PM
I rig all my leaders with the fg knot at home before I leave the shed (braid to mono) and make sure they are 100%.
Then if I need to rig up on on the boat quickly I tie back to back uni knot.
but never had the fg knot fail when tied correctly

+1 on this

Jsmfun I have now learnt to tie them pretty quickly in all conditions on the tinny and yak. I use uni to uni now and then when in a real hurry but if I have time will always go the extra mile and tie an FG. I was a dedicated uni to uni knot tier until I started on the FG knot and will not go back. FG is the slimmest and strongest knot I have come across. In the past with a snag my uni ots would let go and I would lose all,now with FG, snags see the jighead lost but leader stays intact. Good to see you like them too :-)

wayno60
05-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Luke with the FG knot do you make the loop in the Mono or braid.

Tangles
05-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Always what your comfortable with and what you can tie quickly and easily. I use basically 3 knots now

For braid to mono i got tired off all the fussy time taking knots like the PR etc and have for the last couple of years gone back to old faithful, Rod Harrisons version of the Improved Albright and never had it fail from 80lbs to 8lbs. I add a few half hitches in the braid to finish it.

I use a Centauri Knot for the last couple of years for everything else except for tying to a patenoster loop in 80lbs. Used to use the uni knot to tie to hooks etc but found sometimes it would affect the line when you snugged it down and didnt have a straight pull through. Horse suggested the Centauri knot and Ive found it to be great, no failures, strong and snugs up easily and easy to tie.

Out of curiosity have been looking at these two knots which also pull straight through and slides tight:

Braid to Mono: I still reckon an Albright is to fussy in small line classes as is the Slim Beauty without glasses so been looking at Red Phillips knot, i like the way it jams up and is simple and smaller than a uni to uni:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbXaGYaaIo

For heavy mono with a double ive playing around with a Double San Diego Jam Knot, dont know how practical it is on a patenoster in 80lbs as you need a big loop but for tying off hooks or lures to heavy mono with a double i think its seen as one of the strongest as just as a single its always up there as one of the strongest knots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRJNZGPIscE

Funchy
06-01-2015, 05:42 AM
Luke with the FG knot do you make the loop in the Mono or braid.

I make the loop with the braid Wayno

Here is best vid I have seen to explain it. I do it exactly this way though there are many variations out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52uWL43hUbw

Stik-ugly
06-01-2015, 09:13 PM
I use the FG knot as well and find it great on lighter leader and braids used on rods with micro guides , it doesn't catch on guides when casting.

Jsmfun
07-01-2015, 07:33 AM
look up BIG ANGRY FISH (fg knot) on you tube this to me personaly is the way i tie it
it seemed easier to follow. i dont no how to post a link (lol)

Scalem
07-01-2015, 08:22 AM
I make the loop with the braid Wayno

Here is best vid I have seen to explain it. I do it exactly this way though there are many variations out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52uWL43hUbw

Have looked at this vid and personally think that the extra braid he wraps around the fingers becomes wasted braid that gets snipped off. Re tie the FG a few times this way and it won't be long before you start using it up. Good braid is too expensive to cut away more than you need to. But I like trapping the leader under the foot as leared from this vid, combined it with this demonstration where a simple turning over of the wrist does away with the "away from me, toward me" movement. I only use FG from 20lb up, the FG needs a bit of body in the leader material to sinch down on tightly, I prefer Slim Beauty on 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12lb that I use mostly for southern bay areas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e9XgPsWZao

Scalem

mitc69
07-01-2015, 09:00 AM
idk any knot with a knot at the end to stop the line from slipping out is a good enough however uni knot are my favor 10sec knots for braid :)

littlejim
16-01-2015, 04:46 PM
Centauri for me.