PDA

View Full Version : Trim tab advice please

barney1979
31-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Going to buy a set in the coming weeks, but unsure which one to purchase.

My boat is a Tabs 6.1 ocean series.

I was thinking about the QL tabs, but what do others use and recommend?

Cheers. Joel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Out-Station
31-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Barney, I think you first need to make the choice between a fully external tab (lenco/bennet etc) or a internal/external blade configuration (QL's). Couple of things I looked at with each in deciding

Lenco/Bennet style
* hang out the back and potentially fowl lines etc where there is a full width pod, probably not an issue if you can hide them under a boarding step or similar that overhang anyway.
* fully external system = easy to fix, see problems etc
* No holes in hull below water line (if you mont into blind stud type mounting plate arrangement)

QL's
* not intrusive for lines
* need to keep the plug in the rear etc in the hull water free (mine mount into an internal sealed conduit)
* big hole below water line where controle go through into rear of Tab

I have QL's and have had no problems in 5 years but the plug etc inside the hull is in a alloy pipe conduit that runs through my air chamber back into the middle bilge section so I can keep this rear plug bit dry, I don't think you would want this exposed to sloshing bilge water, although its a sealed plug type deal I think it would give trouble over time. I'd prefer lenco's etc for there additional hull length, performance and ease of maintenance but I have a full width pod with not overhanging boarding platforms and I wanted to avoid the possibility of line/downrigger hang ups.

Just my thoughts. Scott

scuttlebutt
31-12-2014, 11:00 AM
I just put some Lectrotabs on my Cruise Craft. Easy fitment, no big holes, very simple to connect. Have tested them out and very happy with the result. Got them from an Australian seller on ebay, $720 delivered. You can spend more if you want auto retracts and led gauges but in practice I don't find the need for any of that stuff. You'll want the 12x9's. Had Bennetts on my last boat and they were great too but with them you have a hydraulic pump which will need to be mounted inboard somewhere. Haven't had any experience with QL's.

Chimo
31-12-2014, 11:02 AM
IMHO get the benefit of a longer hull viz lift and slower planing with plate type tabs like Bennet or Lenco. These avoid extra drag that QLs are said to cause.

I fitted 9 by 9 Lencos to a 6.2 Vag and they lifted the bum, allowed slower planing, reduced the amount of motor in trim needed to get onto the plane, pushed the bow down when required to better cut through choppy conditions as well as giving side to side levelling so no more shoulder slap and bang as happened when traveling in chop with a side wind that lays a hull over. Lencos don't need hydraulic oil and lines just a power cable and no pump or lines to leak and they are easier to fit.

Whatever you fit you will wonder why you didn't get them when you first bought the boat.

Cheers
Chimo

scottar
31-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Another vote for Lectrotabs. I got the ones with the indicators and auto retract though - one less thing to worry about at the ramp - just flick the switch and they sort themselves out. They are 12 x 9's on a Seafarer Victory. They supposedly have a lifetime warranty on the actuators. I have fitted Lenco's before and they work great as well but the one thing I didn't like with them was the plug at right angles with a heap of small wires sticking from the back of the control unit - I have seen them broken if people get in behind the dash without care. This was a few years back so not sure if it has changed.

FisHard
31-12-2014, 12:26 PM
I've also had the Lencos and they were great, will be fitting them again. I believe the QLs create more drag to do the job, but I could be mistaken. Worth doing your own research on that.

Lucky_Phill
31-12-2014, 01:51 PM
I put a pair of Bennetts on the 6.2 platey. Made it a completely different and much better boat.

Lifting the ass for better hole shot.

I have never found they interfered with lines in the water.

They have been on there for nearly 10 years now with no maintenance / problems.

These tabs in conjunction with the motor trim and tilt provide extraordinary functionality and precise stabilising qualities.

Although I have seen the QL's, I cannot get my head around the fact they " drag " the water.

No matter which ones you go with, try to install an " on dash " indicator / guage.

LP

jackamundi
31-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Joel
I have Lectrotabs (9" wide x 12"long) and have been very happy with them on HS 632F. Made a good ride even better. As with previous reply, bought through Aussie seller on ebay. Lifetime gurantee on actuators. I didn't bother with auto-retract as I didn't want to have to reset them each timne I turned the key.

Brad

Giffo65
31-12-2014, 04:17 PM
I have the Lenco s and they made a big difference to the boat,I went with LED indicator and auto retract as well.Easy to fit as well.

barney1979
31-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the responses so far!!!

My opinion has swayed away from QL's, my original thought for them was mainly the fact they were discrete and what seemed maintenance free, However that plug in the bilge area sounds like an issue down track and I'd rather not be cutting large holes.

I'm thinking the Lenco tabs might be a goer.

As for the on dash indicator, would I still require a remote gauge or can I just run the indication through my Mercury vessel view??

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chimo
31-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Barney1979

The advice I was given by the man who designed and built the boat re the Lencos for a Vagabond which you probably know is a heavy frp boat with two motors was that 9 by 9 inch were all that was needed as their affect is very noticable at slow speed and extremely noticable at higher speeds. This proved to be correct.

I had also planned to get indicators etc etc and it was strongly suggested to me that if I couldn't feel the impact of the tabs perhaps I should rethink boating as an activity. I heeded the "advice" and saved $s and kept things simple. Ten years later they still work as intended and continue to be fit for purpose.

If you fit them or others get used to their impact by cruising slowly at under planing speed and fully extend only one side which takes about 2 seconds with Lencos; and note the affect. Retract it and do the same with the other one. Now do it at a slightly faster speed and you will instantly understand why you will for ever operate them by just tapping the controls. This is more and more important the faster you are going and because you ran through the slow speed one at a time you will appreciate why this is important in order to keep safe.

After a very short time you will get it.

Even with them fully up the motor will get you up and planing with less in trim and again practise is whats needed.

Go for it, you wont want to be without them after you have them.

Cheers
Chimo

mutineer
31-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Had Bennett , converted to lenco ...faster , no pump or oil ...and still the best thing I reckon you could put on any boat 12x12 on a 7.5 are awesome..

scottar
31-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Joel
I have Lectrotabs (9" wide x 12"long) and have been very happy with them on HS 632F. Made a good ride even better. As with previous reply, bought through Aussie seller on ebay. Lifetime gurantee on actuators. I didn't bother with auto-retract as I didn't want to have to reset them each timne I turned the key.

If you set them up off a switch on the dash rather than the outboards key switch this is not an issue but gives you the option of simply flicking a switch to retract the tabs out of the way