PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

Marchy001
31-12-2014, 01:01 AM
From the 5th until the 12th of Jan the mrs and I are relatively free (kids going away) and I plan on getting one decent/big fishing trip in as long as the weather gods do their part.

Problem is I don't know where to go. Willing to travel as we may do a day or 2 away at the same time so anywhere up to 3 or 4 hours from Brisbane.

Boat is 6m with a 140 suzi gets around 120nm range before jerrycans come into play.

Any suggestions from those that know better than I? Happy to target anything as long as it pulls on a line sadly I'm yet to fillet a fish in my first 12 months down this way so not fussy what it is that changes that.

Did I mention that I miss fishing off Townsville.

Cheers all.

Lucky_Phill
31-12-2014, 05:46 AM
Marchy. Firstly, welcome to SEQ.

I lived in Townsville for about 3 years and found the fishing pretty good ( back in 79 - 83 ).

Like most things fishing, you have to research and get to know an area to achieve some success.

You are asking about fihsing now, being summer and that really lends itself to Pelagics.

So, I suppose we are talking trolling and lure casting for Spanish, Spottie and School Mackerel, Blacks, Dollies and the like.

That is not to say the reef fishing is out of the question.

Also being this time of year, every fisho and his deckie will be on the water if the weather is kind.

If I were to pick an area, I would choose Sunny Coast. Launch at Mooloolaba and fish anywhere from Inner Gneerings ( macks )... out to the Blinker. South to Currimundi reefs and out to the Barwon Banks.

Next would be launching at Spinnaker Sound and heading around Cape Moreton.

My Fav place is 1770, but again, it is crowded this time of year, although once on the water many options open up and you can play with no one in sight.

I have just returned from 3 days at Hervey Bay, where the spotties were a little light on, but we managed to put a few away and also so bag some good reefies.

Maybe you just need to target a species and work it from there ?

Good luck

LP

mitc69
31-12-2014, 05:57 AM
i personally go up to lake monduran for the barras with the boat... if the weather turns crap, otherwise if it good you still have the reef in bundaberg / gladstone to troll for