PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone breed/sell Bass or perch around the caboolture area

burleygu
27-12-2014, 05:30 PM
I have edited the post and would like to know if anyone sells bass/silver perch for the stocking of dams.

aussiebasser
27-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Those fish would be undersize, and illegal to possess for the purpose of Bait.

bowds13
27-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Ummm do we really have to point out the giant red flag with using bass or silvers around 10-15cm as live bait?

Triple
27-12-2014, 06:01 PM
Will be interesting to see fisheries take on this if they are purchased from a licensed breeder/retailer as you can buy undersize natives from most pet shops or bulk fingerlings for your own dams.

As long as you have receipts from a licensed seller and only using natives that occur naturally in the area then what can they say?

burleygu
27-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Yes I am aware that those fish would be undersize hence why I would not catch them somewhere else and use them unsure what rules or regs surround buying these fish from breeders etc As I would of also been purchasing some to release into our dam. Sounds like it could be a big grey area which I may have to do some research on

Feral
27-12-2014, 06:37 PM
There used to be a bloke who lived in Cameron road Burpengary who sold bass, yella, Toga and Silver fingerlings.
Andrew Shaw. Don't know if he is still there, been a few years since I was a stocking officer.
ANFE or similar was his company name.

aussiebasser
27-12-2014, 06:38 PM
You can buy 50mm fingerlings from Bass breeders, I wont give a recommendation, but there is this new invention called Google. Buying them for stocking, and transporting them to use as live bait are two completely different things. If you are stupid enough to do this, you deserve to get caught have have the book thrown at you. I wish Fisheries every success in tracking you down.

aussiebasser
27-12-2014, 06:58 PM
I'll guess that you must be targeting Mary River Cod, which are totally protected except upstream of a few of the stocked impoundments. The laws will change in February to also protect those fish during spawning season. Being in Caboolture I surmise you'll be chasing them in the Stanley above Somerset. That's a regularly patrolled area, as there are plenty of meat hunters who ignore bag limits up there. About as sporting, and as legal as a cast net.

aussiebasser
27-12-2014, 07:15 PM
So, now you don't want 150mm Bass or Silver Perch for bait?

burleygu
28-12-2014, 09:28 AM
So, now you don't want 150mm Bass or Silver Perch for bait?

No. I did not think my original post through and what you say is right. After looking into it there is a big grey area with what you can and can't do with raised fish purchased from licensed operators. I am however going to buy fingerlings to release into my dam and If I wish to fish I will use yabbies or freshwater shrimp for bait.

burleygu
28-12-2014, 09:53 AM
I will be contacting seq fish in the new year to purchase fingerlings for dam release. And I agree with you a lot of people do catch cod and ignore the bag limits. I don't keep/eat freshwater fish especially cod. The purpose of using some sort of live fish was to see what cod where left in the area I fish. And as I say I did not think my original post through before posting. There was never an intent on using live fish for set lines or anything of that nature as I completely disagree with that. We have decided to use an underwater camera with its own lighting system to have a look in some of the deeper holes under the rocky ledges etc to see if any residents are still around. I do fish some of the waters that feed Somerset and a lot of those areas have not recovered fish wise since the flood. Which may be due to restrictions in water depth for the fish to move back up river. I apologise if I made anybody a little antsy over the original post as it was very vague and non informative. I will however be doing the camera thing when we get some sunlight and I will post up the results.

aussiebasser
28-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Those fish would have been stocked by either the Caboolture Shire Fish Stocking group, or Somerset and Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association. You could try contacting either of them rather than go out and gut hook a few and hope they survive to satisfy your curiosity. DAFF also have pretty good records of the health of the fishery. SWFSA Inc haven't put Marys into Somerset for quite a while. Fisheries believe that the fish that have been released are breeding above the lake. The Caboolture guys have put over 24,000 Marys in the Stanley.

burleygu
28-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Cheers mate I will probably contact them to see what there thoughts are because the area I fish has not recovered since the floods and every time I'm there the curiosity is ticking over to what fish are left in that section of river and if the fish work there way back up the river or not.