PDA

View Full Version : Getting Gloss Finish on rolled & Tipped Gelcoat

mustang5
22-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Hey guys,

Looking to see what the best process for getting a gloss finish on rolled on Gelcoat?? I would love to spray the boat but cannot due to the proximity of the neighbors, and really have nowhere to take the boat to spray it.

I have painted the sides of the boat black gelcoat and the topside is white, however it looks dull as you could imagine given the roll marks, however I have a lot of thickness there to work with.

My first initial thoughts in moving forward were to either:

- Take a skimmer and skim the gelcoat with an applicator in order to fill in roller marks?? Then sand/buff

- Just Get out the orbital sander and start with aggressive grit and finish with a 1000 - 2000 wet sand then cut and polish and wax ?? etc??

I suppose I am just looking for some guidance in minimising the workload... I HATE sanding. http://www.thehulltruth.com/images/smilies_imp/laugh.gifhttp://www.thehulltruth.com/images/smilies_imp/laugh.gifhttp://www.thehulltruth.com/images/smilies_imp/laugh.gif

Anyone think of any other methods?

Cheers

myusernam
22-12-2014, 09:50 AM
I would be sorely tempted to give it the splatter finish on the outside as well.

mustang5
22-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Haha would be tempting but would be a massive anticlimax to the amount of work ive put in.

Noelm
22-12-2014, 10:11 AM
it will be a miracle if you can get an acceptable finish with gelcoat, it requires a LOT of manual sanding and polishing (that's why they use moulds) I have done small areas, roller, spray, paint brush, none of them were great without work, and I have seen it done professionally, and it takes a very long time to get a good finish.

Noelm
22-12-2014, 10:14 AM
OH, and don't go too wild with very coarse paper, it will take you weeks to get all the deep scratches out if you do.

mustang5
22-12-2014, 10:14 AM
it will be a miracle if you can get an acceptable finish with gelcoat, it requires a LOT of manual sanding and polishing (that's why the use moulds) I have done small areas, roller, spray, paint brush, none of them were great without work, and I have seen it done professionally, and it takes a very long time to get a good finish.

I see your point.. Its tough to sand as you know.

I will do a test patch and see how I go... Get a working bee happening.

Will update with before and afters.

mustang5
22-12-2014, 10:22 AM
OH, and don't go too wild with very coarse paper, it will take you weeks to get all the deep scratches out if you do.

What should I be looking at??

I was thinking machine sand at 220grit until flat, then go through the wet sand process up to 1000-2000???

Would you say 220 is too aggressive for the first pass?

Im only really worried about the sides so its an easy sanding platform.

Darren Mc
22-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Are you wanting to cut all the peel out of it so it's flat like glass or do you just want to take the top off and buff to get a nice gloss finish?

mustang5
22-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Are you wanting to cut all the peel out of it so it's flat like glass or do you just want to take the top off and buff to get a nice gloss finish?

At the moment it has the texture of a foam roller (Same texture as an interior wall). The test section I did with the roll and tip came out a lot shinier than just rolling it, so I thought that it would need the roller dimples sanded out to have any chance on getting a shine???

So yeah I would like the glass like finish and shine. I understand this will take some work but hey, im no stranger to it.. Im just glad all the glass is sealed and most of the fairing is done.

In saying that, the white doesnt have the same affect as the black, as the white when rolled on looks amazingly shiny..

Darren Mc
22-12-2014, 10:55 AM
I would do a couple of test spot's. Starting on the finer side, say orbital400,800,wet sand1200,1500,2000. Stay clear of edges though. Use a lambswool and some farecla cutters. See how it looks. You may need swirl remover on a foam pad, especially on black. If that doesn't cut it try going coarser. Hope that helps. Probably what you were thinking anyway.

mustang5
22-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Thanks mate. I look forward to it hahahs not....

It really is amazing stuff gelcoat.. The strength of it is phenominal. I left a disposable roller on a scrap bit of ply... Just for giggles I tried pry it off, and there's no budging.. Remarkable stuff

Darren Mc
22-12-2014, 11:02 AM
I don't envy what your about to do that's for sure. I'm an auto spray painter and I hate sanding too, with a passion. Let us know how it goes.

Blackened
22-12-2014, 06:20 PM
G'day

Your biggest issue will be the thickness of the gelcoat you've applied. If you haven't as yet.. go and get a good quality marine 2 pc system to roll and tip instead.

With the gelcoat, sand it flat with 360 wet and dry, then work up to 800 wet and dry, this can be polished out with farecla P100 compound, follow that with farecla P300 compound to gloss and then finally UV wax over the top to seal it all in.

Seriously, go the 2pac route.

Dave

mustang5
22-12-2014, 06:21 PM
Can 2pac go on polyester gelcoat?? (Existing and new?) what sort of primer is required?

Darren Mc
22-12-2014, 08:07 PM
I reckon an Epoxy primer used as a wet on wet over a well sanded gelcoat about p320 grit.
Then after flash off hit it with the 2pac colour.

Darren Mc
22-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Also put a light coat of good Etch primer down before the Epoxy wet on wet.