PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank

lethal
19-12-2014, 09:11 AM
I jumped in my boat and nearly fell over from the fuel fumes. I checked my hoses and fittings and they were fine so it could only mean a split in the fuel tank. I ripped up the floor to find a decent crack around the filler inlet.

First point of call was to ring the boat manufacturer, Haines, and they said to call my local dealer. So I called my local Signature dealer to be told that the only option was to have the tank custom built at $925 plus installation.

Now that didn't sound right so I grabbed the fuel tank manufacturer, Sant Marine, and jumped on their website. Quickly found the tank due to the model number and option of horizontal or vertical filler. I emailed Sant Marine with a request for a quote including delivery ($569) and an overnight response. I rang them and ordered the tank and they said it would be 10 working days plus delivery time due to xmas.

Well low and behold it arrived 7 days later from Victoria.
Great service and great people to deal with. I highly recommend them and they do many other marine products. 100% Aussie made!!!

http://www.santmarine.com.au/store/

wardy40
20-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Lethal, what size tank did you get from santmarine. Reason I ask is I have looked at these tanks purely for the non corrosion properties in upgrading the 100L tank in my signature to 150L.
I am to believe that these tanks don't have internal baffles and if they don't do you experience any issues with shifting fuel.

Cheers

fishing111
20-12-2014, 07:34 PM
Lethal how old was the tank?
I thought these plastic tank were supposed to be a lot better in the longevity stakes?

lethal
21-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Wardy I got a 100lt tank and it does have baffles. My tank runs with the length of the boat (not the full length), and there isn't any problem with fuel shifting.

Fishing 111 my boat is a 2008 model and is never garaged. Sitting on the road under a tree coping all of the weather and it gets a fair amount of use. The tank split on the top of the filler intake where there is a reasonable amount of pressure which I relieved slightly when installing the new tank. There was not any other sign of cracking.