PDA

View Full Version : F truck Question??

Back In Black
13-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Looked at some today, & the dealer said the 350 requires a truck licence to drive, which is not a problem as both Juna & I have one.
I asked him whether this limited you to driving it with 0% alcohol reading, which he couldn't answer.
I was looking at a 450 through the week which had dual rear wheels (they may all have, I don't know) & the seller said you had to have 0% alcohol, same as driving a truck.
Anyone got accurate info on this??

Thanks,
Tony

Chimo
13-12-2014, 05:33 PM
Looking at the 2009 F450 for 82K ?

You have probably been given the correct info re licence. Apparently if you are purchasing a new F350 you need to make sure it's de-rated to 4995kg GVM or you will have to get a light truck license to drive it and it will have to go through a machinery inspection every year like any other commercial truck. Probably no way around it with an F450.

Dan5
13-12-2014, 05:34 PM
Yeah I think you will find it's zero's in anything LR and above mate......I have HC and it's definatly no numbers when operating .

Dan

Back In Black
13-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Fishing without drink?? Just sounds wrong

Tony

Funchy
13-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Fishing without drink?? Just sounds wrong

Tony

Dont even contemplate it Tony!!!!

Back In Black
14-12-2014, 06:39 AM
Thanks guys, but what I don't get is they are exactly the same vehicle, the only difference is the 350 has an extra leaf in the suspension, having 3, rather than the 2 in the 250, & the salesman said it is purely to firm up the back end of the truck to take extra weight on the ball.

I can't see why that would change the rules.

No Chimo, I didn't se that one. I saw a 2012 with 7000km for 119K I think??

Tony

Chimo
14-12-2014, 07:42 AM
Hi Tony

See http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Ford-F450-2009/SSE-AD-2808817/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

It seems if you de rate the vehicle on the regn you can alter the licence requirements. Slightly nuts but that appears to be it (see post no 2) Its on the same wavelength as fitting a cargo barrier to a 5 seat sedan and then registering it as a 2 seat which affects FBT as well. One of mine bought a second hand ex govt vehicle that this had been done to and we had to change it so it could be used as a 5 seater again re insurance etc etc

If you guys have the ticket then why worry about it anyhooo.

Cheers
Chimo

Back In Black
14-12-2014, 07:48 AM
Its not having the licence that is the issue Chimo, its whether its classified as a truck, & hence zero alcohol.

After 12 hours on the Hards, trust me, you don't cross the bar zero!!

Tony

Chimo
14-12-2014, 07:55 AM
My bad!!!.......................

But on the other hand http://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/road-safety/drink-driving/blood-alcohol/

No booze for you if you go heavy Tony.

ShaneC
14-12-2014, 08:23 AM
I was looking at the same car. There is also a 550 on the net that is around the same money. My biggest concern is duallys on the beach, I think they would be an issue. I am not sure about licence requirements but most people get them de rated for rego purposes to under 4.5t otherwise you will pay upwards of $2k a year to register it as a truck.

Moejoes
14-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Hi Tony,
I thought you were looking for something up to 4.5ton towing?
Have a look at the link & scroll down slightly to the frame twist & downhill grade control videos.
Impressive, but could be more a sales gimmick.
http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-2500hd-heavy-duty-trucks.html

Back In Black
14-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Hi Rob,
Thats all I need, so why do you ask?? The sales guy said identical towing capacity, but the 250 with the extra leaf will tow better if getting up to 4 t or over.

He did say on the downside it will be a firmer ride without a load.

Watched that video last night. Interesting.

Could just see you taking the misses shopping in the new F truck, parking up over a gutter & not being to open the tailgate

bugman
14-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Gday Tony,
I did all the homework on the big trucks a few years ago. If you do a lot of research you will get a general feeling that the Ford trucks rate behind both the Chev and Dodge on most things. The Fords seem to have lots more issues - the yanks really do rate it behind the others.
For what it's worth I've got a Dodge and it's brilliant.
I was also looking at the 350 in all three models vs the 250. Ended up with the 250 because just ease of registration, insurance and the fact that someone else can drive me around if need be.
Brett

Moejoes
14-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Tony, Why go the 350 if you don't need to? Especially if your only looking up to 4500kg towing.
Like others have said, you need a light truck licence, zero alcohol, no one else can drive it, rego more expensive, roadworthy every 12 months.
Unless you are buying a bigger boat? ;D
Yeah, the misses wouldn't be happy if she couldn't open the tail gate LOL.
I'm steering more to the Chev 2500HD so shouldn't have that problem.
I agree Brett, are the Dodge Rams still 6 cylinders? You could save even more Tony.......
When are you buying Tony? As I'm buying one in the next few months.
Maybe we can strike a better deal buying 2 at the same time.
American Vehicles Sales in Victoria seem to be offering the best deals at the moment.
http://www.american.com.au/
7yr 250,000km Aust. wide warranty.
Don't know about their conversion quality tho.
At the moment Performax seem to be very expensive compared to others. (Nearly 10k more after you add all on roads & compare each other).
Once I do all my homework & do all the sums I'll let you know my findings.
Anyone looking for a 2012 - 200 series GXL White Landcruiser? ( No beach work ).
Rob.

Back In Black
14-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Rob, the sales bloke reckons if you are close to or over 4t( & no, I'm not declaring my weight publicly!! LOL) you will get a better tow with the 350, as it has the extra leaf & is firmer on the back end, particularly with good weight on the ball

No, I am not buying a bigger boat!! I'd buy waterfront first & put a jetty out.
Leaning the same as you Rob, Chev 2500. Performax said come back in january as they'll have the 2015 Silverado in & he reckons there is a big improvement.
The builder is starting in the new year so I am trying to wait till the new garage is done, but definitely 1st half of new year.
No beach work?? Unlike some knucklehead we know of.LOL

Tony

Moejoes
14-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Mate, you are buying yourself a lot of heartache for an extra spring!!!!
He is just trying to flog you off his old stock.
Plus it won't ride well empty, you'll be bouncing around all over the place with the harder riding suspension.
You'll need to have a pallet of cement in the back all the time or get yourself a neck brace LOL.
Maybe talk to Pedders and get the suspension upgraded if that's a concern.
At the end of the day you need to decide what suits your needs.
That's what Performax told me as well. Interesting to see what their price will be.
Nothing wrong with a car that's had beach work is there? ;)

Back In Black
14-12-2014, 07:12 PM
I was just enquiring!! It was the F Truck guy who was pushing me that way, not Performax.
See what you man about the price difference with the Victorian importer, about 12K I reckon.
Nice drive from Melbourne I've been told…………….

Moejoes
14-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Ok, surprised he didn't sell you the Raptor with all 600 plus horse power for $180k LOL!!!!
There would be about another $5 to 6k on those Victorian prices advertised for duty & rego.
All up about 126 on the road. I think. I'm trying to get some quotes from them at the moment.
Performax tried to sell me their 2013 GMC for $137K drive away. Nice car but a little too x'y in my eyes.
Nice flight down, I heard the drive was quite pleasant back as well. 8-)

adam sharkcat
14-12-2014, 07:25 PM
Also check that F350/450 and bigger are speed limited to 100klms same as trucks.
no good to pass on the hwy.
a buddy of mine has this problem as he bought a new F350
Cheers Adam

Back In Black
14-12-2014, 07:30 PM
I asked Performax top speed & he said F 250 & Silverado limited to 160kmh??

He kept a straight face when he told me

bugman
15-12-2014, 07:30 AM
Dodge is 6 cylinder.
It's the turbo cummins that is found in a lot of light to medium trucks. Take it from someone that might have something over 4.5t hanging off the back. The Dodge 2500 has no problems towing around the 4t mark.
Brett

outwide1
15-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Gday Tony,I just picked up my new F350, what an amazing truck.
Mine has had a chip and exhaust done and is good for 1150nm torque.
At 110km its sitting on 1700rpm.lol
Mine has been derated so i can drive it with a normal license.
It dewarfs the Sahara.
I can't wait to tow the new platey with it.
Mick.

Bustedoff
15-12-2014, 08:55 AM
I might be missing something here, but couldn't an extra leaf be added to the 250 rear suspension. We've done that in the past and it works well? (if that really is the only difference between the 250 & 350)

Back In Black
15-12-2014, 03:32 PM
gday tony,i just picked up my new f350, what an amazing truck.
Mine has had a chip and exhaust done and is good for 1150nm torque.
At 110km its sitting on 1700rpm.lol
mine has been derated so i can drive it with a normal license.
It dewarfs the sahara.
I can't wait to tow the new platey with it.
Mick.

i want pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back In Black
15-12-2014, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=Bustedoff;1572853]I might be missing something here, but couldn't an extra leaf be added to the 250 rear suspension. We've done that in the past and it works well? (if that really is the only difference between the 250 & 350)[/QU

Thats what the F Truck salesman said. Only difference is the extra leaf.

Can someone else confirm or deny this??

Tony

Alchemy
16-12-2014, 10:20 PM
I fitted firestone air bags to the rear of my f250. These have made a big difference to the car when towing. Pump up to 90psi to tow and down to 5psi for round town. Easy fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

outwide1
17-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Here Tony,The new Outwide tow vehicle . This thing is quick. The list of extras include a compressor and water tank with pump under neath.
DVD player,reverse camera,GPS,Fold away mirrors,5th wheeler hitch,exhaust and chip,auto fold out side steps and the list goes on.
Mick.

Back In Black
17-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Very nice Mick!! I loved the fold away side steps on the one we looked at.

Now we just need to see it with a new big platy behind it!!

Moejoes
17-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Looks great Mick. I see your boat in the back ground.
Are the motors fitted as yet?

Tony, finally got hold of our mates in Melbourne.
Very interesting what they had to say.
Will talk to you later about it.