PDA

View Full Version : Do you spray your motor after use?

back2boats
11-12-2014, 03:07 PM
An old timer told me, after flushing, he always takes of the cowling and sprays his outboard motor with CRC after each use. I can see how it will displace water and maybe help prevent corrosion, but does it build up causing a gummy mess after a time?

Just wondering if it's a good idea or not.

mustang5
11-12-2014, 03:32 PM
I have found Inox to be the business.

I dont do it after every trip however, I would moreso do it each service.

If you are needing to clean under the cowl after every trip, your cowling may not be sealed properly

back2boats
11-12-2014, 04:01 PM
I have found Inox to be the business.

I dont do it after every trip however, I would moreso do it each service.

If you are needing to clean under the cowl after every trip, your cowling may not be sealed properly

I doubt it needs cleaning. He just uses it as a preventative every time.

Would something like WD-40 be better as it is non-conductive and it is being sprayed on electrics.

stevebris
11-12-2014, 04:07 PM
Just be careful some spray lubes will degrade your wiring loom insulation leaving a sticky mess of unprotected wiring.

back2boats
11-12-2014, 04:15 PM
Just be careful some spray lubes will degrade your wiring loom insulation leaving a sticky mess of unprotected wiring.

Another reason WD-40 may be better. In the comparison table I found on the Bunnings site, the 2 things Inox has 'no' against are the non-conductive and safe on any surface questions. Inox is the left hand column in the excerpt below

Lubricant Base
Yes
Yes

Nonconductive
No
Yes

Protects against rust
Yes
Yes

Safe on any surface
No
Yes

Sprays on clear
Yes
Yes

Water repellant
Yes
Yes

back2boats
11-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Actually CRC Marine looks even better

Gon Fishun
11-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Lanox does not contain petrochemical solvents, acid, kerosene plus a few others, where WD40 contains petroleum solvents which attack rubber.

Moonlighter
11-12-2014, 05:19 PM
I used to spray my previous engine with Inox, but stopped after my mechanic pointed out how it had softened and degraded the plug rubber boots and wiring.

i now do what he recommended: once a year, give the engine a good clean with warm water from the hose, allow to dry thoroughly, and then spray with lanolin spray all over. I use oz spray industry extra grade. It creates a very effective water repellent anti-corrosive coating that only needs to be maintained once a year.

We have also found that Inox degrades rubber in other circumstances as well. A mate of mine uses it after each trip to spray his discs on the trailer. The disc look great, but it flicks off onto the wheels and has caused 2 valve stems to fail, causing flat tyres. He is switching to a lanolin product instead.

Need to to be very careful how and where you use Inox.

TheRealPoMo
11-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Ahhh...the old WD40 debate...
Go on any motorcycle or firearms forum for more...
WD means Water Displacement. Thats it.
Why spray an engine with anything?
Especially one under a sealed cowling?

Let it dry and keep it free from oil when required.

Spaniard_King
11-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Ahhh...the old WD40 debate...
Go on any motorcycle or firearms forum for more...
WD means Water Displacement. Thats it.
Why spray an engine with anything?
Especially one under a sealed cowling?

Let it dry and keep it free from oil when required.

Because all outboards suck in air mist and sometimes water droplets..on the big V6's it is measured in the 100's of litres an hour!

No manufacturer on the planet that can build an outboard that will withstand the effects of salt spray hence the industry advising the best practise of using a corrosion protective spray.

I have seen service bulletins and service advisories warning about the use of protectants which are petroleum based!

As said above Lanolin is the way to go.. easily cleaned off every 2nd service or so

bluefin59
11-12-2014, 07:21 PM
This is what my service person uses every year on my merc106740 Matt corrosion gaurd

Nick H
11-12-2014, 07:34 PM
An old timer told me, after flushing, he always takes of the cowling and sprays his outboard motor with CRC after each use. I can see how it will displace water and maybe help prevent corrosion, but does it build up causing a gummy mess after a time?

Just wondering if it's a good idea or not.

I use pure lanolin spray definitely the best thing to prevent your wiring looms from corrosion, honda actually make one specific for there engines which is pure lanolin.

Si
11-12-2014, 07:37 PM
While definitely not containing as many harmful solvents as wd40, you might be surprised to learn that even lanolin still contains 30-60% petroleum based solvent. Read the lanolin MSDS. The first chemical entity is 'solvent' with a CAS number 64742-48-9.
Do a search on that CAS number it comes up with Naphtha which is definitely hydrocarbon / petroleum based, although as others have said much less detrimental to other substances.

A lot of people think its just pure wool grease when its not.

back2boats
11-12-2014, 07:42 PM
Well I am sure glad I asked this question. Seems that it does pay to spray, at least occasionally. Also seems lanolin is recommended.

Just a comment on a couple of points. WD-40 has more than just water displacement capabilities, and the Inox info DOES warn it is not safe on all surfaces, so to hear it softens rubber is not surprising. Also, I mentioned CRC Marine. It actually specifies it is meant for spraying on marine engines. Might look into it further.

Moonlighter
11-12-2014, 07:59 PM
While definitely not containing as many harmful solvents as wd40, you might be surprised to learn that even lanolin still contains 30-60% petroleum based solvent. Read the lanolin MSDS. The first chemical entity is 'solvent' with a CAS number 64742-48-9.
Do a search on that CAS number it comes up with Naphtha which is definitely hydrocarbon / petroleum based, although as others have said much less detrimental to other substances.

A lot of people think its just pure wool grease when its not.

Yes, I knew that the sprayable lanolin has to have a solvent added. Otherwise it would be a thick grease!

In the Ozspray's case, it is a slightly different solvent to the one you mentioned, basically it is kero. Evaporates quickly leaving the lanolin film on the engine, which then repels water and protects from corrosion.

Used it for over 10 years now and no issues on 2 motors.

You could really tell how much the Inox has softened and weakened the spark plug boots in particular, and the wheel valve stems, it was quite surprising. I don't know what they use as a solvent in it, but it's not good for the rubber and plastic it contacts, that's for sure.