PDA

View Full Version : Questions about first short run on the bay

muntted
11-12-2014, 01:10 PM
I have a little 4.5m Poly w/40HP tiller that I am looking at taking out for a run soon if weather permits (maybe sunday morning?)

I am not willing to go out too far as I have only taken her for a few short runs and I want to get a bit more faith in her. She seems to be gobbling petrol a bit fast (22L for 38km). Would be great if I could find some reasonable pelagic's.

I am not aware of anywhere near Nudgee (my area) nor close to Redcliffe, so I am thinking about launching in the Brisbane and trying the first few markers on the way out the of the river just as you head past the port. Would these have anything on them or am I fishing to close to the river? I don't think I have the confidence in this boat to try for Mud or the mile.

Any comments or suggestions?

honda900
11-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Muntted,

check the weather first, I think the weather is going to kill your event.

if your not sure on fuel consumption take some xtra. enough to get you home.

if your not sure on reliability go with another boat till you get confidence.

Regards
Honda.

mull dog
11-12-2014, 02:18 PM
As Honda said check the weather. This weekend is 30+knots. Also the polys perform well with a foil and might help your fuel consumption. Most of the beacons in the bay hold bait and therefore mackerel. Not always at same beacon. But well within your boats capabilities. And nudgee would be the place to launch from for that

muntted
11-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Honda.
Its entirely possible that weather would kill the event, Sunday morning just looks like the best chance this weekend if I were to go.
Other than the fuel consumption, the boat has never caused me any issues. I guess its like anything new that you get, you want to have complete confidence. As for getting another boat, I am trying to meet a few people that are willing to go for a trip - not having much luck there however.

SWANY22
21-12-2014, 10:25 AM
bit late iv have a 4.5 stecco been goin to morten for years go early back by lunch cant go wrong .i run 2 tanks get 56ks to 22 liters 4 beacons be around 30 ks from river look best tip i can give for the bay is try to go in a flowing sea as gettin caught in 15+ northly makes it a long trip .4.5 tinny s are a perfect boat for the bay

Luc
21-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Re fuel consumption, I would think that a 40hp for a 4.5 poly is under gunned and it would be working pretty hard.

bowds13
21-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Hey mate, I agree with luc that the 40hp would be working hard. I have a 4.55cc with a 50hp, which is still a touch under powered for my liking. I have smart tabs on mine and use about 20-25ltrs for a trip from Scarborough and back with some running around from beacon to beacon in between. There great boats and can handle some crappy weather for their size but all ways best to avoid it if possible. Plenty of info over at polyboatowners if you want to know more about your boat

chris69
21-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Wow thats a lot of fuel must be 2st,i get about 3km a lt in a 5mt composite boat with 50DF suzi and dont turn the motor off all day 35 to 40lts for around trip out the bay from bribie and do 120to130kms.

Mike Delisser
21-12-2014, 08:42 PM
That fuel does seem like a lot, a foil should help a little.
You have an extreamly seaworthy boat there and with a little experience you can take her all over the bay in good conditions.
just avoid an outgoing tide in a strong northerly.
Even though I've seen mac tuna pushing inside the river a few times, the 1st few beacons are very consistant producers of pelagics. You'll do better looking for schools from the eastern side of Mud to Moreton, which your boat will handle easily (good to ave weather). carry flares and be aware of green zones.

Scalem
24-12-2014, 08:02 AM
Muntted,

I used to have a Mustang 4.3mtr glass runabout, I had a 27mhz radio that got me a tow home from Tangalooma via air sea rescue, but that was the only ocasion I needed help. IMHO your boat will handle the bay far better than the old Mustang, and I went everywhere in it, its fuel burn would have been more with a 70HP 2 stroke, so I carried 20 ltrs at the back, put a 2nd line into the filter running another 20 ltrs up the front, and had another 20 ltrs spare in a Jerry for longer trips over to Moreton. Is it the reliability of your rig you are worried about? If you have had a recent service and have a marine radio with all other safety bits and bobs, go for it! Even a week day will have people out there you could flag down in an emergency. I know others are saying check the weather, certainly you would be daft if you didn't, but the bay never threw anything at me I could not handle, just take it slower. Poly boats have a slow planing speed, you'll be fine!

Scalem

fishychrissy
28-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Gday Muntted,
I too have a 4.5, a Stessco which is more than capable in the right conditions...not that small a boat mate, and a solid lump of a hull. We can't all fit a 5m in the budget unfortunately ay?...although it would be nice!
Have a few runs around and get a feel for your boat and the conditions on the Bay and your confidence will build in a relatively short space of time.
Cheers
Chris