PDA

View Full Version : Wobble Roller Color

scottd12345
09-12-2014, 10:00 AM
I currently have grey wobble rollers on my dunbier and they are marking the hell out of the Signature 602F from Road Grime.

Intend to replace all the rollers as I can only get them so clean with WD40 and over 5 years old and they will indefinitely pick up road Grime.

I understand the Red and Light Blue are much better. Has anyone had experience with these colors or others that are less susceptible in picking up road grime?

Thanks

Noelm
09-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Red is for glass boats, blue is for aluminium, they will all get road dirt on them.

shaungonemad
09-12-2014, 03:47 PM
There is white and see through yellow on ebay not sure if one is better than the other.

tenzing
09-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Red, just Red.

Horse
09-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Red, just Red.

Spot on. Red for glass

GLXMAN
09-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Red is for glass boats, blue is for aluminium, they will all get road dirt on them.
My Dunbier came with blue rollers on the keel but have grey wobble rollers,
Should I have blue wobble rollers?
.......Gary

Fed
10-12-2014, 05:53 AM
Could be the WD40 making it worse Scott, try cleaning them and the hull with hot soapy water.

They're not scrubbing at launch & retrieval like a car with a bad wheel alignment are they?

WD40,.... No end to its uses.

ozynorts
10-12-2014, 06:50 AM
My Dunbier came with blue rollers on the keel but have grey wobble rollers,
Should I have blue wobble rollers?
.......Gary

Nope your fine mate. What people are trying to say is that the blue rollers are too hard for Fibreglass hulls and shouldn't be used.
There is a belief that rollers on an aluminium boat is an issue due to them putting dents in your hull. So why do they say that blue are for aluminium if they are too hard for glass boats???

GLXMAN
10-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Nope your fine mate. What people are trying to say is that the blue rollers are too hard for Fibreglass hulls and shouldn't be used.
There is a belief that rollers on an aluminium boat is an issue due to them putting dents in your hull. So why do they say that blue are for aluminium if they are too hard for glass boats???
I have to say there hasn't been dents, even though i drive the boat on an off,
Few scratches from pontoons though;)

scottd12345
10-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Spot on. Red for glass

Thanks Guys Red it is then......Many Thanks for the responses.....

Scott

GBC
11-12-2014, 10:51 AM
All Makay trailers came with grey rib rollers - I think they'd have a clue. They are the right roller to use on your boat.

Where do you launch?

My signature (mackay trailer with grey rib rollers) always got marked up when launching out of manly or other marinas/harbours where the pond scum got grabbed by the rollers.

Noelm
11-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Yes, the grey, white and black rollers are soft, and OK for glass boats, and the sides of Aluminium boats, but anything other than blue keel rollers on alloy will get chewed to bits in no time.

Camhawk88
11-12-2014, 11:43 AM
There is white and see through yellow on ebay not sure if one is better than the other.

Do not under any circumstances get those Ebay translucent yellow ones. I brought a set of 28 to replace the rollers on my old boat trailer which I sold to a mate. A few months later he launched and the rollers had heated up and flattened so they would no longer roll.
They dont have a solid plastic core with a rubber sleeve like others so the "framework" has essentially melted and the rollers are useless.

tenzing
11-12-2014, 09:52 PM
All Makay trailers came with grey rib rollers - I think they'd have a clue. They are the right roller to use on your boat.

Where do you launch?

My signature (mackay trailer with grey rib rollers) always got marked up when launching out of manly or other marinas/harbours where the pond scum got grabbed by the rollers.

Yeah the dunbier came with grey too.
Now it has red and no longer marks the hull.
Cant quite figure out why you should have to swap them, but still glad I did.
Has saved me 6 or 7 years of cleaning that muck off the hull
Cheers
Brendan

gofishin
12-12-2014, 09:54 PM
I have a few red ones for keel rollers, or more so to protect the keel foot/entry from kissing the axles (skid trailer), so they are only sometimes in contact with glass.

Sometimes they mark the keel foot, and in turn it marks/scuffs them - it's almost as though they are too soft at times! I think it might be temperature related, very hot day = soft rollers... too soft sometimes.

I also have a few ribbed grey wobbles, probably been on there for 4 1/2 - 5 yrs. The best thing I have found for them is 3M boat Polish, same stuff that I polish the boat with. Works great, and it's been over 15 months since I last applied it.

Twos weeks ago they still were not marking the hull. However, the boat hasn't been used that often lately. :(

When the rollers look at bit brownish, grab the 3M. If you see marks on the hull, should have done it last week! [emoji4]

Cheers
Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigjimg
13-12-2014, 07:22 PM
106792106793Colour these days is irrelevant. On the hull regardless of hull material type run polyurethane rollers or Teflon skid for aluminium. On the keel run solid Teflon rollers for aluminium and solid polyurethane for fibreglass. If you have the solid grey rollers for the hull the general rule for replacement is if you can cut the material with your fingernail it is time to replace.
At this stage they will start to disintegrate under heavy load on the pressure points.
On my trailer the polyurethane keel rollers are only there for fendering the keel during launch and retrieve, they carry no keel load at all when trailered.
Polyurethane rollers can be blue, red, white or any colour available to the manufacturer.
Black rollers are rubber and mark the bejesus out of the hull. But I think you can get black polyurethane ones as well.
The Yalio rollers are for aluminium hulls only and are specific for their application.
I personally wouldn't waste my money on self centring keel rollers. If I get a chance I'll get a shot of our work boat trailers. These are 4.8m aluminium Horizon's and the boats are driven off and on with never an issue. But I did set them up so what can I say. And they are even Dunbier trailers, unbelievable. chortle chortle.

GLXMAN
13-12-2014, 09:17 PM
"These are 4.8m aluminium Horizon's and the boats are driven off and on with never an issue. But I did set them up so what can I say. And they are even Dunbier trailers, unbelievable ."
I have a 4.95 Allison plate on a Dunbier I would love to see your set-up as well
Regards,
Gary