PDA

View Full Version : registering a tinny?

mitchellbj
08-12-2014, 06:39 PM
thinking about buying a 12ft tinny the owner says that he doesn't think it has a VIN and it has no rego stickers on it would i be able to get a vin for it or is there something else you could do to get it registered am going to have a look at it Wednesday and see if i can find the numbers but want to know if its worthwhile buying if it has no numbers
cheers in advance

chris69
08-12-2014, 07:22 PM
how old is the tiny if it was bought before mid 2006 it might not have one, if after that date it should have one so beware.

back2boats
09-12-2014, 07:53 AM
Even older boats might have numbers. Mine is 2000 vintage and has the number stampled on the top right hand side on the transom. Not a plate, just numbers stamped into the metal - easy to miss if you look quickly.

I also seem to remember, when I registered it, there was a part of the form that dealt with older boats that had no numbers. You can download a form to check it out.

The only thing to worry about, is that if it should have a number, and it has been removed, or replaced.

stevebris
10-12-2014, 05:41 PM
If it is an older tinny qld tranport issues you a number you need to affix to the boat. Same goes for trailer. You won't have any issues registering.

BeastMaster
10-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Hi Stevebris, dont want to hijac this post , but I'm seriously looking at up upgrading an old 12ft tinnie right now to something a bit bigger .Is it up to the seller or the buyer to get the vin number s for boat and trailer . My tinnie has a number stamped on it but, I'm sure its not a vin number , pretty sure its just a date of manufacture.
Regards
Beastmaster

BeastMaster
11-12-2014, 06:11 PM
all good - I spoke qld transport today - they pointed out to me that they'd already issued hull id numbers and vin no on my rego forms. I just need to get these numbers stamped on the boat hull and trailer - too easy!
Regards
Beastmaster

stevebris
11-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Only just saw your post Beast. Glad you found the answer to your question.