PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Find a Fuel Flow Meter - Any Ideas?

Dave666
02-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Does anyone know of a fuel flow meter (at reasonable price) that I can hook up to the fuel line itself and has the digital gauge. Something like the Navman 2100 is would be perfect. However, after much searching it seems that the Navman / Northstar fuel flow meters are no longer available.

The main thing I want to do is monitor fuel levels in the tank.

I am currently running a 115hp 1998 Yamaha 2 stroke and the gps chart plotter is Raymarine A50d.

Any help would be appreciated
Cheers
Dave

FNQCairns
02-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Yeah try the Lowrance...forget the rest of it's full designation but I have tried the one you mention and the lowrance is much less of a poor man pays twice scenario.....I found this out by paying twice.

FNQCairns
02-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Actually I don't have it hooked to my new Raymarine, if you sort that let me know how it went....cheers

scottar
02-12-2014, 09:32 PM
A few brands have NMEA2000 fuel flow sensors available that can be mated to a dedicated display or a compatible multifunction or GPS system. There are also stand alone type systems such as flowscan. They probably cost a bit more than the Navman would have done though.

Crocodile
03-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Hello Dave 666,

What's the big deal about monitoring fuel levels in the tank?
What's so hard about knowing how many litres it will take to get somewhere and back?
Why spend all of the $$$$ when it will be possible to do it the old-fashioned way?
In a small powerboat you always need a generous reserve anyway.

Flex
03-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Does the A50 has the fuel usage options in its menu? Then you can simply buy a lowrance ep-60 fuel flow meter(inline) and setup a nmea2000 backbone, which is easy to do. This will give you all the fuel info. Just need to make sure your ray marine unit has the software to support fuel info.

scottar
03-12-2014, 01:48 PM
Does the A50 has the fuel usage options in its menu? Then you can simply buy a lowrance ep-60 fuel flow meter(inline) and setup a nmea2000 backbone, which is easy to do. This will give you all the fuel info. Just need to make sure your ray marine unit has the software to support fuel info.

The issue can be when combining brands that if you don't have a display from the same manufacturer, you can't calibrate anything which is almost a standard requirement with these type of fuel systems. Not saying it is the case with the specific examples given but make sure that the equipment in question is able to be calibrated with the display you have if you go down this path

Camhawk88
03-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Hello Dave 666,

What's the big deal about monitoring fuel levels in the tank?
What's so hard about knowing how many litres it will take to get somewhere and back?
Why spend all of the $$$$ when it will be possible to do it the old-fashioned way?
In a small powerboat you always need a generous reserve anyway.

He isnt looking to monitor fuel levels in the tank- a simple sender does that. He is looking to monitor fuel flow.
Perhaps to better understand what RPMs the boat is most efficient at. Perhaps to know if consumption while travelling in conditions that differ from normal. Consumption can vary by a lot in differing conditions.

Dave666
03-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Been too busy to try and find out if the Lowrance ep-60 will work with my Raymarine A50d. I will do some research next few days. If it does, bingo, that's the solution. If it wont, then I need to see if the ep-60 will work as a stand alone unit connected to the Lowrance LMF-200 gauge, but costs are starting to get up there.

Crocodile & Camhawk - its both fuel flow monitoring and fuel used / remaining. My 18.5 old fiberglass is heavy and the 115hp 2 stroke can suck fuel like you got a hole in the tank. For me, running out of fuel (or using my safety reserve) is a constant worry when I am out and about. I do have a pretty good feel for fuel usage, but surely a good fuel flow meter would be better?

What is the old-fashioned way?

Cheers
Dave

FNQCairns
03-12-2014, 08:52 PM
I do have a pretty good feel for fuel usage, but surely a good fuel flow meter would be better?

I bet you do because this has been typical since day one of fuel using boats, I too have a old dinosaur 2 stroke, my fuel meter is invaluable to get the best trim for speed and end range, it pays for it's self over time, no question about that.

A trick piece of gear if a person is capable of utilising it to it's potential valuable end....still I have old school because of the total outboard total life cost savings, so if outside of that I cannot comment. I can only so far use the L/H setting on my lowrance fuel meter a result.

Dan5
03-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Yes have to agree my GMI 10 Garmin gauges help me get best RPM ltrs per hour by getting the trim perfect........theres not much in it sometimes........going from 17ltrs an hour to 20 ltrs an hour sometimes is just a matter of a slight tap on the trim switch even when you think you have it right technology tells you otherwise........it definatly makes you very aware of your optimum fuel/range capability.

Dan

battleon
03-12-2014, 10:34 PM
I put the Flowscan's on my boat recently and so far they have been excellent. Showing fuel usage per engine and amount consumed has been great. They cost a bit more but ultimately they are an excellent gauge.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/biggusstickus2007/IMG_3489.jpg (http://s248.photobucket.com/user/biggusstickus2007/media/IMG_3489.jpg.html)

scottar
03-12-2014, 11:08 PM

Just a case from experience where the gear was a major advantage - Fished a Reddy Bay Challenge many moons ago in some absolutely horrid weather in my Brother in Laws 625 Cruiscraft. By the time we had travelled from Scarborough to Cape Moreton we had used over 80 litres of fuel - more than twice what we normally would expect. The beauty of the flow type sensor in this situation was that it told us in no uncertain terms that if kept going to our intended destination we would not have sufficent fuel for the return journey - no maths involved, no stopping to try and dip tanks and then trying to work out litres per distance. As such the original destination was aborted. In the weather on the day an old school float gauge in the tank would have been absolutely useless due the fuel sloshing around in the tank. The other advantages are as others have already mentioned setting the boat for best economy. As little as 0.1km/litre over a 150 litre tank adds up at the end of the day. Having range calculations in real time also allow you make adjustment in your driving style and perhaps idle home if you have managed to run yourself short.

tenzing
04-12-2014, 06:49 AM
Hi Dave
Whereabouts are you. Brissie?
I may be able to help.
PM me when you get time
Cheers
Brendan

Moonlighter
04-12-2014, 12:36 PM
The EP60 will wrk with the LMF200, designed to go together.

tenzing
04-12-2014, 10:49 PM
hi Dave
As per message