PDA

View Full Version : Bow rider or half cabin

Firsttimefisherman
24-11-2014, 06:25 AM
Hi all, I currently have a 2012 14.5' tinny with a 40hp tiller steer and like many I am in the market for an upgrade.

I do a lot of fishing, a little skiing/tubing with the kids (aged 9 and 10) and a bit of family runabout boating to places like Peel Island.

I am now a little sick of being buffeted by wind when at anchor and underway and getting soaked when the bay gets a little choppy.

So with that said, considering my needs and use of the boat, what do you more experienced guys think?

Do I get myself a bow rider or a half cabin around 5 or so metres long?

What are the pros and cons from your experience?

I have around $32k to spend.

Sorry if this has been covered before and happy to be pointed to a similar discussion.

Sheik
24-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Runabout will give you some protection but not as much as a halfcab. Halfcabs have a little less access compared to runabouts. That said, I've been impressed with the stacer,quintrex runabouts, esp the millenium hull, like this:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/biggera-waters/motorboats-powerboats/quintrex-510-freedom-sport-runaboat/1062724261
don't know these people or this boat, but you could get an older boat easily in your price bracket.

TheRealPoMo
24-11-2014, 08:42 AM
You might look at an American import bowrider if family is before fishing.
I picked up an 18.5 with a 190 V6 with 70 hours freshwater (so I was told) for way less than anything local the same size with lots more hours.
I am sure there are better hulls for the bay and the inboard is a whole new world, but I like it.
I go to Moreton but 15 kn wind is my cutoff - it won't sink over that but can be uncomfortable. Hardly ever get wet though, even on those afternoons where I waited just a little too long to head back.
It is magic on those ultra rare glassy days. WOT will see 43 knots.
10 kn conditions I can cross at 28 knots and get 18 l/hr, so Tangalooma and back to Scarborough with some mucking about costs about $50 - $60.
US coastguard says it can carry 8.
Wife loves it because it looks the goods. I just have to be mindful on the rare occasion I pull a decent fish it with all that carpet and upholstery.
From my perspective, I'd only get a half cabin if I planned on going out in the rain or I wanted to camp in it overnight.

Chimo
24-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Your kids and wife will appreciate getting out of the sun and wind and spray with a cuddy cabin and you too will appreciate the extra flexibility of being able to travel in windier and wetter conditions.
Bow riders were not designed with high intensity skin cancer causing sunshine in mind and are perfect for lake pursuits such as in Canada and the US but if you consider our sun intensity neither they or other open boats are fit for our purposes. Certainly if you ever consider fishing outside a bow rider would not be a first choice for a safe vessel either.

Check out second hand fibreglass and get a softer ride too.

Cheers
Chimo

Scalem
24-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Once you make the choice to go with something a little more sheltered, one point often overlooked is the seating position for the driver in respect to the view. Some hulls I have ridden in are downright dangerous either when climbing up onto the plain or even when cruising. Apart from the fact some seating arrangements are poorly designed or you might be a short ass, Hull/ motor combinations can spend too much time with bow high in the air, blinding the skipper for a while -not what you want in a busy waterway that you chose to have a social ski day. If you want to ski and tube with the kids, make this a priority to understand the characteristics of the hull. That said, there are some half cabs that don't have this quirk, such as my Yalta. Punch it and it is on the plain without any loss of vision of whats out in front - one of the many traits I love about this rig + I have yet to experience a day I didn't feel safe in the bay. Market Value of my 5yo boat with 350 hours on the 115 Yammy 4s would have to be within your price range if I were to sell it ( fat chance) but when compared to the rolls royce brands out there in similar configuration, you get a lot of boat without all the trimmings you pay extra for in other makes. Others I looked at seriously when I purchased mine are Freedom and Tournament.

Some links:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pacific-pines/motorboats-powerboats/reduced-2007-freedom-escape-1-2-cabin-90hp-e-tec-and-gal-trailer/1062962520
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/southport/motorboats-powerboats/2011-baysport-575-sports-half-cabin-with-130-hp-yamaha-/1058574802

This one looks great! Even has the ski pole and the 115 Etec will give you whiplash when punched hard ( a quote from the salesperson when I was looking at them, I think this rig came standard with a 90HP and I would also have upgraged to the 115)
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/arundel/motorboats-powerboats/boat-show-special-redcued-to-29-990/1056235646

But I have never done an on water test on either of the Freedom or Tournament to understand the point I am making above, maybe someone has one?

Scalem

TheRealPoMo
24-11-2014, 01:02 PM
This one looks great! Even has the ski pole and the 115 Etec will give you whiplash when punched hard ( a quote from the salesperson when I was looking at them, I think this rig came standard with a 90HP and I would also have upgraged to the 115)
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/arundel/motorboats-powerboats/boat-show-special-redcued-to-29-990/1056235646

But I have never done an on water test on either of the Freedom or Tournament to understand the point I am making above, maybe someone has one?

Scalem

Agree completely Scalem on both the vision thing ( I thought it was just me) and the actual boat you suggested above.

That dealer also imports American bowriders and I'd say this one is from the States as well given the "Freshwater hours" so go take a look.

Firsttimefisherman
24-11-2014, 06:48 PM
All great advice thanks everyone.

Now to start the hunt.

:)

seashawgal
24-11-2014, 08:15 PM
I've got a whittley 5.3 Impala and I love it. It's not too big and two people can sleep in the cuddy cabin which I've done a few times now. They don't make that model anymore, but Whittley make good seaworthy and feature packed comfortable boats. I'm in the Whittley club which is fun.

Swanie1975
24-11-2014, 09:00 PM
I fish outside all the time in an older Haines signature bowrider and have never shipped water over the front (different story in the broadwater with the wakes off big Rivs lol).
ive fished out as far as the 36s and never felt unsafe but I use common sense and don't head out with a rubbish forecast. Fishing 4 is easy.

I have two girls (7, 5 yrs) whom I take out regularly in the broadwater and outside on very good days and with hats, sunscreen and the large Bimini we all enjoy the day. If I put the bow cover on this gives them enough shelter if it gets nasty while out.

Can't say I'd go back to a cabin at this stage as IMO too much wasted space, the kids love sitting up the front, especially when we come across turtles,dugongs etc. dolphins are incredible when they jump up right alongside while surfing the bow waves.

I will say be very careful if buying a American designed bowrider as I have two friends with them and it would have to be perfect to stick their noses outside as we have filled the front with water a few times lol.

Try before you buy and see what suits.
cheers Ryan

mustang5
26-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Ive found a half cabin is the best fit for everything. Sure, you dont get as much space in a half cabin, but the amount of times the space in a runabout/bowrider is useable compared to the amount of times you and your family wish you had some sort of cover from the spray, waves, elements, well there is no comparison.

Furthermore, it is common knowledge that the quality of a boats ride in chop/swell is directly linked to its weight. Well this is a conception for most common built trailer boats, however some would disagree and that is OK, so its IMO. Anyhow, a Half cabin boat compared to a similar sized runabout/bowrider will weigh more. This extra weight means more stability at rest and also more momentum through rough conditions leading to less bashing and rolling around. IMO.

What I have found in the past is its best to put a % against your boats usage.. For example, if you did 55% water ski-ing, 30% river cruising/lunching and 15% fishing the bay/islands well you would choose something with much more space i.e. a runabout or a bowrider.

If you were to do 70% fishing, 15% ski-ing and 15% family trips well to me there is no question that your boats ride and comfort should be most important, to which a Half Cabin wins hands down in most cases, especially in your price range.

Depending on age, you can get a lot of boat for $32k. Boats will outlast us so long as they are looked after, so dont be afraid to look at older style boats with NEWER outboards. Things to make sure are that there is no rot in Transom, Deck or stringers. The majority of boats I have owned with rot problems have always been ones that lived in marinas or water canals. The first telltale sign is antifoul on the Hull.. If I see Antifoul I run. $300 can get an extensive survey of any boat and gives you peace of mind.

Good luck.

mr240zed
30-11-2014, 05:45 AM
Stop looking, I've found your new boat: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/boyne-island/motorboats-powerboats/tournament-1750/1062181335

mitc69
30-11-2014, 05:51 AM
with 32k your better off with a 5-7m trophy WA with an outboard if u can find them, long your not picky about age 1997-2004, used to have one then upgraded to cat when kids no long wanted to ski, they grew out of it....

creat
30-11-2014, 06:18 AM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/salisbury/motorboats-powerboats/2008-trailcraft-sportscab-610-boat/1059993132

Low ball him. ;D

FisHard
30-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Stop looking, I've found your new boat: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/boyne-island/motorboats-powerboats/tournament-1750/1062181335

I don't like etecs, but that does look a neat little rig!