PDA

View Full Version : my boat is sinking :)

Mark0
23-11-2014, 03:08 PM
So i went for a fish today with me brand new 15hp merc on my tinny, goes like the clappers to begin with, seems to get slower as the day goes on, until i see water coming above my floor in the boat, which answers my slowing motor problem.

so off we go to the closest sandbank to get the boat out of the water to drain it.

got that done then drive back to boat ramp, after investigations found a small hole in the bottom of my boat its about 3mm looks to be a rock possibly.

so question is how do i fix it ? Get someone that can weld aluminium and welds a spot over it ? advice needed ta.

Feral
23-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Yeah, weld it is the most permanent solution.

Dodgy brothers with a blob if sikaflex will probably hold until you get around to getting it welded.

Lucky_Phill
23-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Consider the hole could have been formed from a wayward sinker laying around and reacting with the ally.

Geting it welded will fix it, but certainly have a good look around for further issues.

cheers LP

Mark0
23-11-2014, 04:41 PM
didnt know the sinkers could do that, i cant get to it as my boat behind the back seat has a metal false floor rivited into the boat so you cant access where the hole is, i was considering cutting it open and putting hinges on to open and close it getting rid of its hard as rivets are through side of boat.

aussiebasser
23-11-2014, 05:20 PM
If you sikaflex it it will be very difficult to weld it later and the welder won't like you much.. Greens Marine at Yatala will be able to fix it for you.

alleycat
23-11-2014, 08:07 PM
Years ago I bought an ex hire boat from Jacobs well, when I got it home there was over 40 sinkers that rattled out on the way home, when it sprang a leak I used to plug it with some selleys nead it...

scottar
23-11-2014, 09:27 PM
depending on the age and condition of the alloy, welding can be hit and miss. Be worth talking to someone like Dave Green though. My last tinnie did 10 + years with a sealed pop rivet through the bottom sealed into sika when it got a pin hole with no dramas.

Mark0
23-11-2014, 10:04 PM
Cheers aussie i work at stapylton so i might call greens marine.

atleast the sinking boat took our minds of 4 hour's fishing with 1 bite and 1 stingray......

aussiebasser
24-11-2014, 07:08 AM
Tell 'em Dale sent you. ;)

AndrewB
24-11-2014, 09:58 AM
I did a hole in a tinny in the Kimberley while travelling up to Middle Lagoon a few years ago fixed it with araldite. Fished for 2 weeks then drove down the Gibb River rd and up to Kalumburu where the boat was moored for 3 weeks.
As a temporary fix this stuff is awesome.
The hole was from a previous weld (coming home from Arnhem Land) the new hole was along the side of the previous weld. Welding ally boats is inevitable if we treat then hard but can have follow on effects.

pipifin
25-11-2014, 06:22 AM
+1 for the sikaflex rivet......... and a little bilge pump, in case it happens again.