PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna sell this piece of ssss boat!

Portacol
22-11-2014, 11:58 PM
For sale, a boat that does not get out of the hole easily, 5400rpm WOT, cannot push a fair load, when it is rough and I slow down it falls of the plane and when I speed up to get back on the plane it goes like a flipping demon, bangs and splashes like a mermaid on ice!

I changed the prop, got on the gas and fell out the back of the boat, 6000rpm WOT, responded to trim better and is so much easier to drive.

Installed some trim tabs, how good is it to be able to trim the boat bow/stern to cut through the waves instead of banging, and port/starboard for a level ride.

This gem is no longer for sale!

If you are thinking of selling your boat because it displeases you, maybe it needs a bit of tuning. It may just save you a wad of cash.

Feral
23-11-2014, 05:03 AM
The sad part is so many people have to do this, boat manufacturers / dealers need shooting for not setting boats up properly in the first place. It's not like there is a unlimited source of sizes and brands of motors to go on hulls.

GLXMAN
23-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Hmmm, might just have a look at the price of trim tabs!
.......Gary

giddyup58
23-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Had the same problem years ago with a 19" Hi5 Merc prop on a 635L with a 2.5 175.
Was hopeless in the bay on anything but a dead calm day, so out of desperation, replaced it with a 19" alloy - different boat!
Even the trim tabs couldn't make the Hi5 work... It was all or nothing, as you found.

pueter66
23-11-2014, 12:59 PM
Hmmm, might just have a look at the price of trim tabs!
.......Gary
Big fan of trim tabs and maximum motor size for boat so that its not really working

Lucky_Phill
23-11-2014, 04:30 PM
IMO..... all boats over 6mtrs should have trim tabs.

The style is the only consideration. I vote Bennetts..

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/

LP

Portacol
23-11-2014, 06:51 PM
IMO..... all boats over 6mtrs should have trim tabs.

The style is the only consideration. I vote Bennetts..

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/

LP
You could expand that LP, mine is 4.5m. I read about props and trim tabs ages ago and did nothing. I regret that.
As far as what brand, any trim tab is better than no trim tab and the right prop for the boat you have is a whole lot better than the wrong one.
My original setup was reasonable, but unlike most fisherman I added a lot of weight to the boat and changed the balance. (Added a bit of weight to me too, don't know how that happened)
Someone like me has probably put up with a setup that is less than good. I would just like to give them a bit of tap on the shoulder, for the money spent the results are worth it and on going. The more years you have the boat, the cheaper it becomes.
Maybe it is time to talk to your local boat shop man about props and tabs if you are less than happy with your set up.