PDA

View Full Version : Water in fuel tank

stevebris
20-11-2014, 09:05 PM
I have just finished a refurb of my hydrofield sandfly 4.1m and went for it's 1st run. The 60hp Mercury bigfoot stalls on take off.
A couple of blokes in a tinnie drag me back to the ramp and I trailered the boat and went home. Disconnected the fuel line and ran some fuel out into a clean container. It's mostly water!
I know I should have flushed the tank but hindsight is bliss isnt it!
Ok so a rough plan is to use a hand pump siphon to drain the tank completely. Doing so with boat on an angle to try to remove all the water and fuel. Drain fuel lines, water seperation filter and I guess the fuel bulb.
Will that be enough or will I need to drain the injector rails?
Any help and advice much appreciated!

The Woo
21-11-2014, 06:30 AM
You need to get the water out of the injection system as a matter of urgency.

Fed
21-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Aside from the motor which for me would be straight to the dealer I'd replace the easy/cheap stuff before the motor & flush the rest a couple of times with metho.
Needless to say then find where the water was getting in the tank.

stevebris
21-11-2014, 02:29 PM
So the motor is in at brisbane marine and looks like an easy enough job for them. Flushing tank, system and injector rail. Doing a fuel tank treatment, new filters and should have it back same day!
The water got in the tank while refitting was underway. No fill port or hoses attached while top of centre console was being replaced.
You live and learn the hard way sometimes!

hungry6
21-11-2014, 03:45 PM
One of my mercury die from water in the tank, treat it very seriously get a water separator with a glass bowl and see what comes out and check as if there is a big set of tits on there.

LonxBW
21-11-2014, 06:06 PM
get a water separator with a glass bowl and see what comes out and check as if there is a big set of tits on there.
Dunno about you guys but I'm off to buy a dozen separators!

stevebris
21-11-2014, 07:20 PM
I had a water seperation filter on there. Doesn't help when it's mostly water in the lines!
All fixed after $300!
Took it for a good strap this arvo.

LonxBW
22-01-2015, 07:32 AM
I forgot about this thread, see my latest in the Southwind one I started. Fun! :/ good to hear you're back up and running.