PDA

View Full Version : life expectancy of a new gal trailer?

bobbyb
20-11-2014, 06:29 PM
hi all,
looking at buying a new redco trailer before Christmas and we all know no matter how much washing and polishing they all rust out in the cross members.

just wondering how many years you would expect from this trailer.

to be honest it would be lucky to get 15 bunks a year. dam work.

and your thoughts on these trailers. http://www.mayfairmarine.com.au/rs610/ thanks in advance....

FisHard
20-11-2014, 07:25 PM
Imo you can't go past past Redco Tinker trailers. I had one that was a 1997 model and was still sound. Ive now got a 2014 Tinka under a different boat, and it's great too. I was lucky to get a 6 month old second hand trailer, but a mate spent a fair while shopping around for a new one and found Wynnum Marine to be the cheapest. There was a big difference in the quotes he got for exactly the same trailer.

The Black Unicorn
20-11-2014, 07:47 PM
I have one just gone 1 year old. Redco sportsman MT180T-MO. Haven't put any tectyl etc on it and no visible signs of any kind of corrosion. Wynumm marine was best price and have good post sale service. Had 2 issues, first, bearing buddies were spitting grease all over my shiny alloy rims. Wynumm replaced with a more expensive pair free of charge. Second, clearance lights stopped working and were replaced with hella ones also free of charge. This was after one phone call and with no fuss whatsoever. Wouldn't hesitate dealing with them again. oh...... and the trailer has been great. Drive on/off with ease.

bobbyb
20-11-2014, 08:04 PM
thanks guys, I have had a quote from another dealer, but I have had positive experience with wynnum marine in the past. I will give them a call tomorrow .

you have put my mind at rest handing out the money. thanks.

Lucky_Phill
20-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Coat your trailer in Tectyl 506. Pay attention to the inside areas... spray into holes.... Cheap insurance.

The springs are another matter. :(

My old trailer was nearly 10 years old and only had minimal rust on leaf springs and some bolts at the back. I used it in saltwater about 20 times year at least.

LP

bundylundy
20-11-2014, 10:42 PM
I'm with Phil. Before you put the boat on it give everything a coat of Tectyl. Give the last third that goes in the water the most at least two coats. My redco going fine after 6 years.

Jeff.