PDA

View Full Version : 80lb minn kota for 520 Formosa

hazza80
20-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Has someone fitted an 80lb minn kota iPilot to a 520 Formosa, preferably Tomahawk centre console?

Main concern is the bow sheer being so high - will a 60" shaft be fine? Usage will mostly be spot locking in waters of Hervey Bay. Also guessing I'll need to get some brackets, for the battery boxes, made up to fit in the front storage - would it be best to have them welded in or bolted and siliconed (Tomahawks have sealed decks)?

Have a while to wait, as they cost a fortune, but hoping someone with a Formosa passes on their experience.

davo
21-11-2014, 07:56 AM
The biggest issue will be battery storage depending on the model of Tomahawk, they don't have much forward storge and a very low casting deck. I haven't used a bowmount on these boats but have been in them. The high sides are a big problem with an electric motor anyway, too much windage. Having used an electric bowmount on my own boat in Moreton Bay I can tell you that rough conditions will mean that you will need to set the bowmount as deep as possible otherwise the prop will continually come out of the water.

hazza80
21-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Cheers davo, the welded front storage is fairly decent and I'm pretty confident I'll get two battery boxes side by side in there - will double check over the weekend.

Yeah the high sides, especially at the bow, have me a bit concerned. Had a 55lb with 54" shaft on a 375 tinny before, and this is MUCH higher! Hence the post, - is the 60" going to have enough reach? I'm a good weather fisherman, but even still, in calm conditions there's usually a foot or so of swell.

To me, the spot lock function is worth the expense, as long as it works effectively.

BAR UP
21-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Hey man I have a 5.2 Formosa Searod side console with 60'' Minkota. I have onboard chargers and 2 batterys up front. The 60'' does the job fine but does come out occasionally but this has not caused me any real issues. I fish Stanage bay out at the islands and offshore down here. If you were in Brisbane you could come over for a squiz, Peter.

hazza80
21-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Thanks Peter... good to hear from someone with the same hull. Sounds like it will be fine, so I guess it's time to save.

BAR UP
22-11-2014, 07:30 AM
my batterys are as far forward as I can get them in individual boxes, I have heavy duty stainless saddles rivitted to the floor and an adjustable strap to tie them down. They don't move. I have a Minkota charger that I plug in to 240v at home that charges my start battery. When fully charged to 13.3 volts the over run then powers my Stirling charger that charges my 24 volt system. Whilst on the water my Yamaha 100hp charges the same system. I also carry a voltage monitoring meter which tells me how many amp hours the minkota is using and how many amps are charging also the condition of both sets of battery's. Jarred Clark from battery world at Enoggera helped me set up my battery system and chargers. He is very smart. You can call me on 0411455758 if you want to chat about the setup, Peter Close.

scrotty
03-07-2017, 01:14 PM
Hey there, I have a 520 Classic with the 80 lb Minn Kota. No issues at all. Shaft length is fine. Made a ply shelf for inside the front deck to store the batteries and keep them level and secure.

scrotty
03-07-2017, 02:45 PM
Hey there, I have a 520 Classic with the 80 lb Minn Kota. No issues at all. Shaft length is fine. Made a ply shelf for inside the front deck to store the batteries and keep them level and secure.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170703/0a09084c412e900685666a39905a4358.jpg