PDA

View Full Version : Rocks/hazards in Logan River?

back2boats
20-11-2014, 02:39 PM
Have never been on the Logan river, but looking at the Beacon maps, heading downstream to the mouth from Carbrook, they show 2 lots of rocks on the northern side, then Mark's Rocks on the South.

Are these the only rocks to avoid? Any tricks around these rocks, or elsewhere, to avoid damaging a prop (I will be in a small tinny) ?

Would appreciate any pointers you can give.

Sheik
20-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Wait until January QFM, I will be writing a little piece about bloody rocks in the Logan. There are some tricky little spots both north and south around Marks. My advice would be to take it slow, until you know the area. Which didn't help me, as I reversed into one nasty bugger in about 6 foot of water. Prop now looks like a run over golden circle can.

back2boats
20-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Wait until January QFM, I will be writing a little piece about bloody rocks in the Logan. There are some tricky little spots both north and south around Marks. My advice would be to take it slow, until you know the area. Which didn't help me, as I reversed into one nasty bugger in about 6 foot of water. Prop now looks like a run over golden circle can.

That doesn't sound too good at all. I feared it might be tricky without any local knowledge.

davo
21-11-2014, 07:50 AM
It's not that bad. The mouth is shallow at low water (mud/sand) around Mark's rock there are some rocky outcrops but they are all easily navigated. Up towards the big pine tree the same applies. At Pitts rocks near the Gazebo you would have to be right up against the bank to come to grief. Understand the beacons, take it easy if not sure and there is no problem.

back2boats
21-11-2014, 08:22 AM
It's not that bad. The mouth is shallow at low water (mud/sand) around Mark's rock there are some rocky outcrops but they are all easily navigated. Up towards the big pine tree the same applies. At Pitts rocks near the Gazebo you would have to be right up against the bank to come to grief. Understand the beacons, take it easy if not sure and there is no problem.

That's a bit reassuring :) I take it that the Gazebo, and the pine tree are the other 2 other areas marked as having rocks, between Carbrook and Mark's Rocks, on Beacon to Beacon maps ?

davo
21-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Generally speaking those areas has some rock plus further up. I grew up down that way and haven't been there for while until a few months back and I've never had an issue, never hit a rock in 40 plus years. Sure there are some rocking areas but not like say Tingalpa Creek which is a nightmare if you don't know what your doing. Use your charts what the bank structure. Get a copy of "hooked in paradise" it will give you some good ideas to fish and any structure.

back2boats
21-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Generally speaking those areas has some rock plus further up. I grew up down that way and haven't been there for while until a few months back and I've never had an issue, never hit a rock in 40 plus years. Sure there are some rocking areas but not like say Tingalpa Creek which is a nightmare if you don't know what your doing. Use your charts what the bank structure. Get a copy of "hooked in paradise" it will give you some good ideas to fish and any structure.

Funny thing is, after reading many hints about Tingalpa creek, I have tried it a few times now without problems. If Logan is actually easier, then I will carefully explore it.

Thanks for tip on "Hooked in paradise". Just the sort of thing I need I think.

NArmstrong
22-11-2014, 07:59 AM
I smashed my prop last time I was there. Run into something near the water pickup for the prawn farm (I think). In between marks rocks and marks rock rd boat ramp. It surprised me as I had gps on and thought I was fine in the channel.

back2boats
22-11-2014, 10:00 AM
I smashed my prop last time I was there. Run into something near the water pickup for the prawn farm (I think). In between marks rocks and marks rock rd boat ramp. It surprised me as I had gps on and thought I was fine in the channel.

Sorry to hear that. Always annoying to do damage.

Between Sheik's upcoming article and any reports like this, maybe we should mark up a map/diagram for beginners (like me :) )

davo
23-11-2014, 06:47 PM
If you were near the prawn farm outlet then you are out of the channel. That lower estuary has a lot of shallow stuff.

back2boats
23-11-2014, 08:54 PM
If you were near the prawn farm outlet then you are out of the channel. That lower estuary has a lot of shallow stuff.

Sometimes you need to get out of the channel to fish, or put down crab pots. This is why I asked at the start of this thread, about the various tricks to navigating in the Logan. If I know where the badlands are, then I can venture afield a bit, and the worst I will do is get stuck in the mud or sand :)