PDA

View Full Version : CCTV boat ramps FNQ.

FNQCairns
18-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Just saw on my recorded local news (Cairns) that there is a petition on change.org asking for support to:

"Install CCTV Security Cameras at Boat Ramp Carparks in the Far North Qld Region".

By Carly McKaskill.

I would like to sign this for what it's worth today, I live and boat there and the amenities are largely crap, overflowing and riddled with opportunists/oxygen thieves, but I cannot search up anything on the site to find the petition. For some reason the logic and search of the site seems utterly hopeless...I dunno.

Anyone got a direct link to where I might find this petition and sign?

thanks.

back2boats
18-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Google "Install CCTV Security Cameras at Boat Ramp Carparks in the Far North Qld Region" and it's the first real hit on the list

FNQCairns
18-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Thanks didn't think of using google...good idea.

back2boats
18-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Thanks didn't think of using google...good idea.

Yeah, it's funny how Google can find stuff that the web site itself can't.

FNQCairns
18-11-2014, 05:34 PM
Ok here it is if anybody wants to add their 2 cents...totally worthy cause and needs to spread wider.

https://www.change.org/p/warren-entsch-install-cctv-security-cameras-at-boat-ramp-carparks-in-the-far-north-qld-region

SHOOTER1
18-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Done why not

Daintreeboy
18-11-2014, 10:46 PM
I posted on the Facebook site that had this on it. As good an idea as it is I'm not 100% convinced it's the best way to spend whatever funds we have that get put towards this area. If it came out of a different bucket of money then go for it. I would prefer to see money put towards other improvements to our boat ramps. I had some spot light stolen at a ramp so would love to see this sort of deterrent but not necessarily in favour of other projects.
Also, who will be monitoring the cameras and at what cost? Who will be maintaining and protecting them from vandalism etc.

sharkymark2
19-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Didn't sign it. I don't know why people would have valuables left in their car when they are out fishing. I leave my cigarette but compartment open so they can see there is no change in it. I have insurance if it is needed. I have posted other comments re upgrading our ramps in Moreton Bay. Don't feel I am being selfish just responsible for my own life. Like when I go out fishing I wear an auto blow up vest. I carry extra safety equipment beyond that which is required. If anybody shows me a better way of doing something I will certainly take it on board. Those experiencing theft and damage issues should be getting extra Police drive throughs at irregular times.

Camhawk88
19-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Problem is Sharkey, that a b&E is the least of your concerns at these ramps. There are a few ramps up this way that have had consistant problems with f*wits interfering with trailers. Some instances include loosening of wheel nuts, unhitching of trailers, removal of rollers, slashing of tyres/removal of valves etc. Insurance isn't going to help you get your boat out of the water if you have an inoperable trailer or bring back lives when a wheel comes off at 100km/h.

This crap is a regular occurrence- more often than not at regional ramps where some locals have it in their head that it is their ramp and theirs only and risking others lives is perfectly acceptable. Vigilante response is currently the only deterrent.

CCTV would certainly reduce the risks however I know in Townsville one of the ramps has CCTV but it isnt recording due to budget constraints (last I heard anyway). Setting up your vehicle with a recording device is probably your best response and always check over your trailer before retrieving your boat. Sad that it comes to this but that is the way things are here unfortunately.

I think the best thing that could be done at ramps is to have a secure parking area with 24hour access for clients and security guards on a user pays system. I would be happy to add $20 to my fishing trip to ensure my gear stays safe. I reckon it is the way of the future.

brett62
19-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Problem is Sharkey, that a b&E is the least of your concerns at these ramps. There are a few ramps up this way that have had consistant problems with f*wits interfering with trailers. Some instances include loosening of wheel nuts, unhitching of trailers, removal of rollers, slashing of tyres/removal of valves etc. Insurance isn't going to help you get your boat out of the water if you have an inoperable trailer or bring back lives when a wheel comes off at 100km/h.

This crap is a regular occurrence- more often than not at regional ramps where some locals have it in their head that it is their ramp and theirs only and risking others lives is perfectly acceptable. Vigilante response is currently the only deterrent.

CCTV would certainly reduce the risks however I know in Townsville one of the ramps has CCTV but it isnt recording due to budget constraints (last I heard anyway). Setting up your vehicle with a recording device is probably your best response and always check over your trailer before retrieving your boat. Sad that it comes to this but that is the way things are here unfortunately.

I think the best thing that could be done at ramps is to have a secure parking area with 24hour access for clients and security guards on a user pays system. I would be happy to add $20 to my fishing trip to ensure my gear stays safe. I reckon it is the way of the future.

The idea of having a lock up area for your tow vehicle and trailer is a good idea. I too would have no problem with paying for this service and surprised there are not more facilities for this. Some of the VMR/Coast guards offer a fenced off area for members. Would be a good fund raiser if these groups were given some land. I once was from up north and came back from fishing one day to find that my trailer had been stolen and it was not much fun trying to get a 5m cat on a car trailer I was able to lend I can tell you. Damaged the boat in the process so it was not a good day. Trailer was found by police 6 days later dumped off the road in the bush some 80 km away. Must not have fitted their needs so they slashed the tyres in frustration. Told by the police at the time that is getting to be regular. Not sure if CCTV would have stopped them as the bustards want something they will do a work around. I suppose they may help a little but they have many cameras trained on ATM's and they still pull them out of the wall.