PDA

View Full Version : Oziexplorer, Hema, Google earth, Laptop,android?...........whats actually work today?

FNQCairns
13-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Hi all looking for a good all inclusive realtime GPS package, I have used Ozi in the past and have all the maps still but this time I also want stand alone hardware, not say a separate defined GPS unit that is not incorporated and hopeless bluetooth etc..all that stuff of 7 years ago years etc ago.

Perfect would be Google maps optionally overlaid (without internet connection) with Hema maps and the option to use government topographic also, all in realtime GPS with the option to use same personal all data points, tracks, place-marks, co-ords etc across all maps/overlays...I think this will be unrealistic until some company works out the awesome end value, but what is the closest to we can achieve today??, I have chart plotters for boating offshore but nothing that will work on say boating Lake Tinaroo/ any lake) at any real-time resolution (see shoreline proper and vegetation etc etv )and get there via car and trailer...the entire package.

anyway

What's my best real option today? for 4WD and esp lake/water near shore/inshore, I want to be able to use KML/Zs, Topographic maps and hema type maps as redundant as they might be with the Topo's I suppose.

Any actual working scenario ideas welcome? I got no clue what is the best today without mobile tower reception and that is often way to close to any population up here.

Thanks

petelaska
13-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Hi i use one of my sons old apple iphones with an app called flytomap or watermap brisbane cost a couple of dollars years ago it has google maps. I dont use the phone as a phone just GPS

davo
13-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Don't get the Hema. My sister and her husband have just travelled Australia and they weren't impressed. Wrong streets, and information.

BillB
14-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Hello FNQ,
I have got the relatively new Samsung Tab S 8.4" tablet using Android software. I am very happy with it for use an an all purpose GPS unit. I use it for street (Sygic), 4WD (Hema & Oziexplorer) and marine (Navionics) mapping. The screen is the brightest in the league being able to read it out in the boat in full sunlight. It is a LED screen which means it is able to be read in any position with Polaroid sunglasses. Out in the boat I wrap it in a clear plastic bag and put in a heavy duty holder on the boat dash or use a full waterproof pouch. I had previously tried a Nexus 7 tablet but had to return it because the internal GPS was very unreliable (a common fault with this model I believe).
Hope this helps,
BillB

GLXMAN
15-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Hi There,
Had the original Hema for many years, sure, their street nav was poor but the off road option was spot on,

Moving on,
I got the latest Hema HN7,
Works a treat, comes with all the Hema maps,
Nice size screen, not something you would take out on the boat at Tinaroo though

Wish there was the lake master maps for GPS like the USA guys have
...........Gary

FNQCairns
15-11-2014, 02:46 PM
Thanks all for the replies, I own a less than year old grey import Galaxy 6.5inch phone so possibly I might be able to rev this up to cover all the bases, well most of them anyway.

Thanks BillB, did you need to internet download all the map data direct to the android device or was there another way within those apps to get it full of data?...like I have all the OZI 1:100 (I think) maps in OZI format including the great barrier reef on CD.

Actually the HEMA I have none of these did you need to download them over the net direct to the android device?

HEMA would be good but the mobile data might be a killer, we here only have tower access, no copper.

For anyone this is a good site I just found, dropped my jaw actually, no high functionality sadly but still great none the less.

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#products/NavionicsPlus

BillB
15-11-2014, 08:30 PM
Thanks all for the replies, I own a less than year old grey import Galaxy 6.5inch phone so possibly I might be able to rev this up to cover all the bases, well most of them anyway.

Thanks BillB, did you need to internet download all the map data direct to the android device or was there another way within those apps to get it full of data?...like I have all the OZI 1:100 (I think) maps in OZI format including the great barrier reef on CD.

Actually the HEMA I have none of these did you need to download them over the net direct to the android device?

HEMA would be good but the mobile data might be a killer, we here only have tower access, no copper.

For anyone this is a good site I just found, dropped my jaw actually, no high functionality sadly but still great none the less.

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#products/NavionicsPlus
Hello again FNQCairns,
If you have a memory card for your phone you can download Ozi to that from your computer and plug it into your phone. I am sure your maps could go on the card as well. The Oziexplorer website gives the instructions for doing everything on an Android. Oziexplorer for Android will cost you $25 USD. The shop and forum called Exploroz sell a much better interface screen for Oziexplorer for $10 downloaded online to your computer and transferred to your phone again via the card. The instructions are included. All the other software I downloaded from the Android Play Store. I am fortunate to have a local library that has free WiFi with (so far) unlimited download limit.
I hope this helps,
BillB

FNQCairns
16-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Thanks BillB for that concise reply...will get started chasing it all up.....if google earth ever goes off-line GPS proper and one can overlay it this will put the wind up many map company's..... think I might buy the all in one portable HEMA unit, my Samsung can do OZI and then Google earth when there is internet.

It's still all now better than 10 years ago but still pretty crap though, another decade needed I suspect.

cheers

GLXMAN
16-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Lastly,
you can get Hema maps for your iPad,
the good news is all the latest iPads, (i think 4 upwards), have GPS built in so you do not necessarily need communications
Just an option for a more inexpensive
......Gary

Johnm
22-11-2014, 05:57 PM
Give Ozi for android a try you can download a trial.

Feral
22-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Yeah any smart phone should do the job.