PDA

View Full Version : Second hand boat needs new trailer

Berger4
12-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Hello new to the forum as I moved from WA about 2 years ago and just finding may way around the bay now. I recently purchased a second hand boat a 4.7m Cruise Craft to replace my Quintrex 455 topender (which I will be selling soon), any way the trailer on the boat I just purchased has basically seen its day as the 2 main cross member are broken and will cost over $2000 to fix everything. I have been quoted a few prices for a new trailer with best best being $3630 for a new Redco trailer, my main problem is that I can't really drive the trailer anywhere and I was thinking about transfering the boat onto the new trailer myself. I have never done this before, is it hard to do? and how hard is it to set up a new trailer?

Any help, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Noelm
12-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Pretty simple job, the boat comes off onto the grass, new trailer roughly adjusted to something like the old one, winch boat on, and do final setup, go fishing!

Berger4
12-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Pretty simple job, the boat comes off onto the grass, new trailer roughly adjusted to something like the old one, winch boat on, and do final setup, go fishing!
Thanks for the reply noelm. The go fishing bit I have all stitched up its the finer points of the rest I am not sure about. Do I need to put the boat on tyres? A mate has suggested this. Do i have the trailers attached to the ute when unloading and loading? I have read a bit about adjusting the trailer and think I can deal with that it is just the in between bits, it is the first glass boat i have owned. Am I being over cautious because it is a glass boat

marto78
12-11-2014, 08:46 PM
You will need 2 or 3 tyres along the keel and something to keep your boat stable, either chocks or if you can tie it off to something to keep it balanced that will do.
Don't worry anout hooking the car upto the trailer.
I usually push the boat back until the trailer starts to tip up then wack a tyre under the stern. This is where I usually tie the boat to the fence for balance.

Once the boat is resting ther you can start pulling the trailer out from under the boat placing tyres where ever you think you need them.

Only undo you're winch strap a metre at a time and push the boat off slowly just in case it decides to fall off or shoot the trailer out at you.

Dignity
12-11-2014, 10:30 PM
To change over the trailer is easy but first of all you need to supply as much detail of your boat as possible as Mayfair Trailers (redco) will try and set up the trailer at the factory so there will be minimal adjustment required, make sure your dealer sends them on. A visit to their factory at Rocklea will be helpful. Show as much info as possible, length of boat from bowsprit to transom, a cross section of the hull, measure the distance from the ctre of the transom to the first strake and also the height that this is above the current trailer. I can email you what I have done if you pm me.
To remove the boat a flat grassy area is best and do as Marto suggests, to put the boat on the trailer is easier still, back the trailer up to the boat, make sure the hand brake is off and the car is in neutral, connect the winch strap and start winching. If it is not flat have someone in the vehicle (prob a good idea at all times but I never had anyone avail) , the boat will initially just angle up onto the trailer and then the trlr and vehicle will actually start reversing until the weight of the boat is on the trlr, sounds odd but I have done this a couple of times.

Berger4
13-11-2014, 05:12 AM
Ok you are making it sound like I can do this myself. The dealer i got the quote from for the trailer was going to charge me an extra $250 to set the trailer up but from what you are saying Dignity Mayfair/redco will do it at the factory if I give them all the info needed and it may just need some later finer adjustments.Still just thinking about it makes me nervous and I will probably have to do it at a park close by, but I don't think this will be a problem. Thanks for the help.

The Black Unicorn
13-11-2014, 06:28 AM
On a side note I bought a redco just on 12 months ago now for my 18ft glass boat. Couldn't be happier with it. Had a couple of issues with the running lights on the guards and they were replaced without any fuss. No signs of corrosion and I do dunk it fairly deep. Great value trailer for mine. Good luck with it.
Oh and the dealer I bought mine through setup my boat for $100. Haven't touched it since. Drive on and off every trip!

scottar
13-11-2014, 07:16 AM
When you take the old boat off, do it with the car and trailer hooked up or at some point the drawbar on the trailer will go skywards and the rear roller bracket will dig into the grass. Easiest way to get it off is to tie the transom to something reasonably solid via the tie down points and with the help of someone to control the winch, SLOWLY creep the car forward as the winch is unwound. If the tyres you have will fit under the trailer axles, have a line of tyres set up before hand where the keel will sit and as the boat comes off, before you go too far, stop , engage the winch to prevent a runaway, and put a stack of tyres under each side to prevent the boat falling to one side. Then continue slowly until she comes off.

Fed
13-11-2014, 07:38 AM
I can't imagine why anyone would muck around with tyres, stick it on the grass it won't roll over.

AndrewB
13-11-2014, 09:15 AM
When you put the boat back onto the trailer do not have the trailer connected to the tow ball, just winch the trailer as initially the boat will stay in place and trailer slides under. Front of trailer will be high off ground until the balance point dictates the boat is back to horizontal at this point (or preferably earlier) you will need to make sure the whole lot does not get away from you, so constantly move chocks under trailer wheels or some other form of ensuring the lot doesn't get away from you if the ground is not completely level. I also have just bought a new Redco but opted for HD option which has bigger wheels, extra cross member supports, eye to eye springs as opposed to slipper type. Good luck in whatever trailer you purchase.

Noelm
13-11-2014, 09:24 AM
Yep, just put it on the grass, be aware of transducers and things that might get damaged, you might need a tyre or something to keep them off the ground, but the front lawn wont hurt the boat one bit.

Berger4
13-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Thanks everyone for their advice I think I am ok with doing it myself. I may have to talk to my dealer about the setup costs as it seems a bit steep. The other thing i am having trouble with is the old trailer, what do I do with it? I have contacted one of the metal recycle mobs and they are only interested in it if I can deliver it to them. Any ideas? One of may mates said to grind it up and added a bit to my cornflakes every day as I could do with a bit of iron to make me stronger.

marto78
13-11-2014, 05:04 PM
If the lights work just tow it to the scrap yard, there's no traffic cops around at the moment with all of this g20 crap.

I haven't seen one single speed camera all week.

Noelm
13-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Try advertising it cheap on Gumtree or something, even if you get $20 for it, your problem is solved, second hand trailers in any condition will sell.

Dignity
14-11-2014, 12:15 PM
When you put the boat back onto the trailer do not have the trailer connected to the tow ball, just winch the trailer as initially the boat will stay in place and trailer slides under. Front of trailer will be high off ground until the balance point dictates the boat is back to horizontal at this point (or preferably earlier) you will need to make sure the whole lot does not get away from you, so constantly move chocks under trailer wheels or some other form of ensuring the lot doesn't get away from you if the ground is not completely level. I also have just bought a new Redco but opted for HD option which has bigger wheels, extra cross member supports, eye to eye springs as opposed to slipper type. Good luck in whatever trailer you purchase.
AndrewB, this was the method I used the first time, much easier to have the vehicle attached and in neutral and the whole thing is stable as hell, done it twice more after that and would never again recommend not hitching it to a vehicle. This was with a CC Rogue 14 which was quite a heavy beast compared to the ones of today.

Dignity
14-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Thanks everyone for their advice I think I am ok with doing it myself. I may have to talk to my dealer about the setup costs as it seems a bit steep. The other thing i am having trouble with is the old trailer, what do I do with it? I have contacted one of the metal recycle mobs and they are only interested in it if I can deliver it to them. Any ideas? One of may mates said to grind it up and added a bit to my cornflakes every day as I could do with a bit of iron to make me stronger.
Berger4, Mayfair would prefer that they had the details beforehand as they tend to be a bit more friendly towards their customers even though you cant buy direct from them. You will find that the adjustments you need to make will be very minimal. Sent you a PM.

Chimo
14-11-2014, 12:31 PM
A mate of mine is looking for a trailer he can use a few times and then get rid off. Where are you located?

Chimo

Berger4
14-11-2014, 04:33 PM
A mate of mine is looking for a trailer he can use a few times and then get rid off. Where are you located?

Chimo

Chimo I am located in Bardon, not sure it is useable as the 2 main cross members have cracks in them. I still haven't committed to the new trailer yet and if I do it will be 2 to 3 weeks before delivery, not sure when your friend wants it but he may need a stick welder and a bit of angle line if he want to use it to tow a boat anywhere.

Chimo
14-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Berger4

That could work, no hurry.
PM me details and will pass them on to him.

Thanks

Chimo

PS when you drop your boat drop it onto old tyres and when you winch it onto the new trailer sit some tyres under the rear end of the trailer so it does not dig in to the ground but can slide. Winch the boat on with the trailer unhitched so the trailer can slide under the boat at least initially. Try it with the old one if you are of a mind. As said before secure the boat to a tree or whatever when you pull the trailer out from under the boat. Use tyres under the keel to protect transducers and speedos etc . If you have room use a vee rope from the axle to the tow bar so the front of the trailer can rise as you drop the boat.