PDA

View Full Version : Chasing bigger fish with plastics

Tristo
12-11-2014, 08:05 AM
So I've been fishing plastics and hard bodies for a while now. Mostly just the bread and butter species and all land based stuff. But I've recently upgraded my gear buying a Daiwa rod n reel combo and loaded it with 30lb braid along with some 40 and 50 lb leader lines. I read an article not long ago about catching big species such as cobia etc. off rocks with soft plastics and it has sparked my interest.

I have just bought some 1oz jigheads, some 5 inch jerk shads and some squid looking berkley plastics and have been mucking around down at the southport seaway with no luck. Any tips/techniques, plastic brands or spots that it might be worth me having a go at? I also had a crack down at Fingal head on an incoming tide, again with no luck however it was a little trecherous and I'd like to try it again on an outgoing tide when I could get a little closer to the edge without being swept away.

Any advice would be golden!

nathank
12-11-2014, 08:58 AM
I have fished the seaway a fair bit land based (got a boat now so not lately) If you fish the slack tide (half hour either side of the high best) you can get Jew. You could fish it for 10 years and not get a cobia as this would be just a very very lucky bycatch. Also if this coincides with daybreak your in with a shot.. I got my first Jew on a lure there and managed to get them with some consistancy afterwards and found a big white paddletail to work the best. I haven't fished further down south so cant comment..Good luck mate!!

Tristo
12-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks mate!

The article wasn't talking about catching cobia in the southport seaway, it was just talking about rockfishing with plastics in general. Definitely keen to crack onto some Jewies down there! I'll have a crack next weekend as the tides and the peak activity times (according to tides4fishing) line up nicely with sun up and sun down. Will keep you posted on my results!

stinkyfinger
12-11-2014, 11:04 PM
If your after big fish, Then I'd be looking at a minimum 7inch Gulp or what ever,
I geberally catch most of my Snapper on 7inch plastics, 5inch might be a little to small looking at xos fish

gr hilly
13-11-2014, 08:14 AM
YES 7 ins is good Fingal wow i have not fished there for 40 years but back when i did the out going tide was the go and a 13 ft surf rod a big lead for distance and a Poddy Mullet tied on with a few rubber bands to a 5x5.0 ganged hook and get it out as far as possible.did we catch some nice better than most big Tailor Kings and Dews were the most of what we caught pleasant suprises came often with other species the Tweed River was my fav fishing spot as i camped in the back of FC Holden Wagon ON THE GRASSY BANKS OF THE RIVER AND LOVED EVERY TIME I HAD A BALL.
CHEERS G,Hilly

robfish 1
13-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Hmm. My wife must be more into fishing than I thought.
She read this post and agreed that 7 inches is preferable to 5 inches as well!