PDA

View Full Version : Don't Buy These Boat Covers

Goldfinch
11-11-2014, 01:36 AM
Haven't posted for a while but wanted to warn boat owners about boat covers sold by "The Cover Guys". I bought a cover from them under two years ago and like all my belongings, looked after it with extra lining where needed and towels in areas making contact with t-top etc and within the first year I was already seeing signs of degrading material and then a mate sent a photo to me a week ago, as I am living in Spain, showing my cover has ripped completely from left to right in front of the T-top where there was little contact with anything. I have no trees and very little bird activity. The Cover Guys claim these covers are made for "Australian Conditions" and are a "great alternative to a tailor made cover". Yeh right!!!! Warranty was one year. I wrote to them and they couldn't care less. Have attached a photo for proof.

LittleSkipper
11-11-2014, 03:16 AM
Haven't posted for a while but wanted to warn boat owners about boat covers sold by "The Cover Guys". I bought a cover from them under two years ago and like all my belongings, looked after it with extra lining where needed and towels in areas making contact with t-top etc and within the first year I was already seeing signs of degrading material and then a mate sent a photo to me a week ago, as I am living in Spain, showing my cover has ripped completely from left to right in front of the T-top where there was little contact with anything. I have no trees and very little bird activity. The Cover Guys claim these covers are made for "Australian Conditions" and are a "great alternative to a tailor made cover". Yeh right!!!! Warranty was one year. I wrote to them and they couldn't care less. Have attached a photo for proof.

Like the saying goes? "You get what you pay for" I too bought a cover from them and after about 3 years it is showing signs of weathering.

The seam across the bow front tore apart only because I had not had the cover taught enough and water pooled in the rear pulling the front/bow seam apart but a phone call to a canvas repairer had it fixed in no time.

They are exposed to Mother Nature so really what do you expect?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

honda900
11-11-2014, 03:06 PM
BBQ cover Lasted 2 years as well.

Regards
HOnda.

oldie
11-11-2014, 07:38 PM
If you say spend say 50k on a boat and then think a 3-500$ cover is going to protect it then your dreaming, after spending say 50k then another $1500-$2000 for a custom cover in Sunbrella or similar seems like spare change in the return of having your vessel looking like new years down the track! Support your Ozzie small Business and use your local trimmers to "cover you Rig"

ReefRobber
11-11-2014, 07:57 PM
I couldn't agree more. I bought an ocean south cover for my pride and joy and when I went to put it over the boat I was very unhappy with the fit so I returned it. I'm now getting a custom one done to my specs and I can't be happier with the service so far. I even went fishing with the owner of the business on Sunday.

If you say spend say 50k on a boat and then think a 3-500$ cover is going to protect it then your dreaming, after spending say 50k then another $1500-$2000 for a custom cover in Sunbrella or similar seems like spare change in the return of having your vessel looking like new years down the track! Support your Ozzie small Business and use your local trimmers to "cover you Rig"

mrhappi
11-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the heads-up

Greg P
11-11-2014, 10:23 PM
I got a custom cover from Rays canvas in Caboolture made for my Fisher when it was built in 07. Sits in the sun and elements all the time and cover looks like new. Great example of the price v value comparison and what it can mean.

creat
12-11-2014, 06:30 AM
I use a $50 tarp, still going strong after about 6 months, and water can pool in it no worries. Even if I have to buy a new one every year, I'm still miles ahead.

http://www.discounttarpaulins.com.au/heavy-duty-tarpaulin-quality-215gsm-tarp/?utm_campaign=map&utm_medium=email&utm_source=yotpo&yotpo_token=9758802399bf444d435dd879cf08de075114c9 6c

2 weis
12-11-2014, 08:43 AM
it looks like it is a thread failure
if the material is still ok I would look at getting it restitched with a uv thread
brian