PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 200hp four cylinder or 200hp v6

Nick H
09-11-2014, 10:07 PM
Hi all,
I'm looking at bolting a yammi 200hp four cylinder drive by wire on the back of my boat when it's finised early next year. A couple of questions I cant find answers for, you guys might be able to help. Does it have the same balancer as the f150 that had all the problems and if not what has the gearing been changed to, I know they where changed and a lubrication feed was added above the gearing but some people are still saying it hasn't been fixed. Also do you think the old V6 has more guts? It's going on the back of a 6.5 m plate boat so should be sufficient but worried a four cylinder is working a lot harder to achieve the same result. The fuel usage between the two yamahas it not enough to worry about unless your running WOT, the V6 seems to be doing less to get the same power. It's a hard Decision between the two yamahas and just to make the decision harder suzuki are bringing a 200hp inline four out at the start of next year, this runs the timing chain instead of a belt which is used on the yamahas, any comments would be appreciated.
Cheers
Nick

Almako
10-11-2014, 05:34 AM
Yeah I agree I think the 4 cylinder would be pining it's head off and the 6 would be cruising.
Pretty sure the 6 would have a slave cylinder at lower revs as well.
I have have sales guys pushing to sell me the 4 cylinder saying the fuel economy is by far better, but they could't provide fuel consumption results for my exact boat, which is odd as it's still in production. Cruise craft 625 explorer.
I don't have a definitive answer for you sorry but I am on the same mindset around the 6 cylinder.

Noelm
10-11-2014, 05:44 AM
I am not completely convinced that a 6 cylinder 200HP will be better or worse on fuel than a 4 cylinder 200HP, or for that matter be working any harder, 200HP is still the same output, and it takes the same amount of fuel to produce it, there is a possibility that a V6 configuration might be smoother than a straight 4 but whether that's true or not is anyone's guess, I would buy either if I was in the market for a motor like that, and probably would lean towards the 4 just because of the weight.

Feral
10-11-2014, 05:53 AM
If one of them has / had a suspect reputation, I wouldn't being relying on them having "fixed it". I'd be looking at something else. because one day your going to want to sell it, and that is exactly what a buyer will be asking, didn't those old #### have issues?

Spaniard_King
10-11-2014, 07:38 AM
The v6 will have superior mid range torque .....less likely to fall off the plane at lower revs and will perform heaps better in the rough stuff.

just because it's a Yamaha don't expect it to have the best fuel economy of the 200HP's getting around.

Dogtoooth
10-11-2014, 08:52 AM
I would get the 4, less moving parts. I think fuel economy would be better not by much though. The four cylinder would be a bigger bore than, say the six. Yamaha have plasma fused coating on their cylinders in their high HP range, a lot harder and last's longer and less weight , well that's what they say, which means you cannot rebuild them. Throw away when worn.

Noelm
10-11-2014, 09:41 AM
I don't think the amount of parts makes much difference in how good an engine is, or how long it will last, I still cant see the fuel economy being hugely different in either motor, possible I guess if the 6 can hold a cleaner plane at lower RPM as Spaniard King as aluded to, but how much?? not a lot would be my guess.

Nick H
10-11-2014, 06:48 PM
I here you spaniard king, fuel economy is not my biggest worry I know the suzuki gets better ratings, it's reliability that I want as I'll be hanging on this is boat for a long time. Probably can't go to far wrong with either, I have found out they don't have the same balancer as the 150 (no thanks to the dealers you can't tell you anything about what there selling) and are pretty much a completely different engine. Talked to a block who has just repowered a kevlar cat from the old V6 200's and reconds there unreal faster on the plane and slightly better fuel economy when WOT he did say he had only put 200hrs on them so far!!!

ozynorts
10-11-2014, 06:59 PM
I think that the Honda would probably have better economy than the Yamaha, but I could be wrong..

Nick H
10-11-2014, 07:53 PM
The price of Hondas is way outta the ballpark, definitely the best engine IMO if you can't afford it. I'd prefer to put some sounding gear in my boat and have a yamaha

gofishin
10-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Is the V6 yammy 200 still available?? Didn't think so.

Although it is/was a great donk, and very smooth - like you expect from any V6 - it is old technology compared to any of the current gen donks.

Loads of torque, yes, but very heavy!! A heavy bum can offset extra torque quite easily, and markedly affect handling - for the worse. I would seriously look at any of the new 200 4 pots from whoever has them, or is about to release them, but that is a personal opinion.

Haven't seen much on the new yammy 200 on here, except this
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=125475

Have read an article or two from boats supplied by Wynnum Marine, but can't remember where or when. Maybe a B'n'B for one.
Cheers
Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozynorts
11-11-2014, 06:55 AM
The price of Hondas is way outta the ballpark, definitely the best engine IMO if you can't afford it. I'd prefer to put some sounding gear in my boat and have a yamaha

Yamaha v4 $24k, Yamaha v6 $23,200 and Honda $25,300. All prices from Aust Boat Mag and I bet you could negotiate on those. I am sure that if you were to speak to Spaniard King you might be surprised........

outwide1
11-11-2014, 07:17 AM
I have heard that Yamaha won't warrant the 4cyl for professional use,i know this doesn't apply to you Nick but its a concern that they won't unlike Suzuki.
Put a Suzuki on it.
Mick.

Nick H
11-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Ozynorts, the yamaha is around 21k with drive by wire so a fair bit cheaper, I've got a mate with the suzuki Mick and it is a nice engine and your right they havn't rated them commercially 'yet' but I can't go past a yamaha as I've previously had then and rate them

Noelm
11-11-2014, 02:14 PM
I guess what it comes down to is, regardless of who has what motor and how fabulous it, it's your cash, and you have to be happy with it, Yamaha is your first choice, everything else will be second best, buy the Yamaha and enjoy it.

Nick H
11-11-2014, 03:35 PM
The decisions made and I can put this on to bed, light weight 200hp yamaha. My Mechanic said for what I'll be using it for it will be perfect for a loaded boat around 2t, he said you would only need the V6 on a boat this size if you where commercial as they perform better under heavy load

Nick H
11-11-2014, 03:41 PM
The decision had been made 200hp four cylinder yammi. My Mechanic said for a boat around 2t being used recreationally there's plenty of power there. He said you would only get the V6 if you using it commercially due to the weight. Thanks for your opinions
Cheers
Nick

JB sniper
11-11-2014, 06:45 PM
I have one on my haines V19R and go out diving 4 guys all the gear needed 330L of fuel, 200L esky full of ice and it pushes me along nicely and good on fuel. Good luck with it.

Almako
11-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Roughly how much is doing this sort of change over. Will they do the fit out as well.

Wildcat
11-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Hi Nick,
i just blew a 2002, 200hp V6 up and it's not viable to repair it, all after 600hrs, corroded the top cylinder and put water through it all, seizing it. Quoted almost $30k to repair.i guess after 12yrs it's probably acceptable?
I'm putting 2 new gen F225's - the 4.2ltr on my Powercat 3000 over the 4cyl as from my research, sending Boat specks to the tech team at Yamaha, Suzuki and Merc. All said no to their own 4cyl and yes to the 6.
The new F225 is the smallest of the range of the range which goes through to 300hp so it's not going to be working too hard and is also the lightest at 255kg's.
these get fitted next week with the fly by wire and digital gauges, think it'll be great and you may want consider the same. Well priced too!
good luck and hope that helps!
PS; like to know from anyone else out there if they have the new gen F225 & the new Gen E-tecs also look very interesting, but I'd need some convincing on the reliability side of things!
regards,
Wildcat

Nick H
11-12-2014, 07:43 PM
Thanks wild cat, my boat will be max rated to 200hp most guys that have similar hulls through the same builder have 175s fitted and recon they haul along, so the 225 is out of the question for me although I would love more ponies, I think it will be more than enough, that must be a nice fishing platform you are running!!

ReefRobber
11-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Hi Nick,
i just blew a 2002, 200hp V6 up and it's not viable to repair it, all after 600hrs, corroded the top cylinder and put water through it all, seizing it. Quoted almost $30k to repair.i guess after 12yrs it's probably acceptable?
I'm putting 2 new gen F225's - the 4.2ltr on my Powercat 3000 over the 4cyl as from my research, sending Boat specks to the tech team at Yamaha, Suzuki and Merc. All said no to their own 4cyl and yes to the 6.
The new F225 is the smallest of the range of the range which goes through to 300hp so it's not going to be working too hard and is also the lightest at 255kg's.
these get fitted next week with the fly by wire and digital gauges, think it'll be great and you may want consider the same. Well priced too!
good luck and hope that helps!
PS; like to know from anyone else out there if they have the new gen F225 & the new Gen E-tecs also look very interesting, but I'd need some convincing on the reliability side of things!
regards,
Wildcat

Live got the f225 on my 7.1 platey. It's amazing. The hole shot, acceleration ant top speed is fantastic. It planes at low speeds well and the economy is pretty great too. I wouldn't change it.

Nick H
15-12-2014, 07:16 PM
You lads got me thinking after your posts, I checked the fuel consumption and weights and I've been able to upgrade to the 225 for only an extra 1k so I'd be mad not too. Talked to Sam today at performance plate and he said my hull will take up to a 250hp no worries at all. Thanks for the suggestion guys probably the best thing I could have done. Got everything sorted but the hull, he starts first thing back in the new year the suspense it killing me!!

Wildcat
16-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback Reef Robber, they're getting fitted as we speak so am excited about the maiden voyage with new Donks this Friday, will head to Moreton. Stand by for feedback. wildcat.

Live got the f225 on my 7.1 platey. It's amazing. The hole shot, acceleration ant top speed is fantastic. It planes at low speeds well and the economy is pretty great too. I wouldn't change it.

Wildcat
16-12-2014, 09:32 PM
Nick, you've got to be real excited about your new can, particularly with the "big block" Yam you've decided on! I think you'll be a lot happier with the V6. Keep us informed of its progress. Will report back after this weekends maiden run.

You lads got me thinking after your posts, I checked the fuel consumption and weights and I've been able to upgrade to the 225 for only an extra 1k so I'd be mad not too. Talked to Sam today at performance plate and he said my hull will take up to a 250hp no worries at all. Thanks for the suggestion guys probably the best thing I could have done. Got everything sorted but the hull, he starts first thing back in the new year the suspense it killing me!![/QUOTE]