PDA

View Full Version : My Refurbishment of my TABS 435 Territory

Angryant
09-11-2014, 07:47 AM
I recently purchased a 435 plate ally TABS open tiller steer. It has 4mm bottom and 3mm sides unlike the current TABS:
It has had a bit of a hard time and was not in the best condition:

So far I have done the following:

Replaced bilge pump and live bait well pump;
Installed a side console unit;
Sold the 40hp Merc tiller ster and replaced it with a 60hp Suzuki Bigfoot;
Replaced the carpet on the floor (cast deck to be done);
New steering system;
Bimini (first thing I did);
Got it repainted (2 pack);
Replaced electronics and got a multi-function gauge for the Suzi.

So far it looks good and performs well (punches above its weight in the chop).
106234 106235 106236

Now to get the motor run in and fine tune height and the prop.............

sowden1942
09-11-2014, 11:42 AM
What was the cost to go from tiller to side console without the motor I already have a 40hp four stroke. Thinking of doing the same to a 4.5 Brooker Safari. John

astro66
09-11-2014, 02:24 PM
did my brooker sowden....cost me about 500$ for the control box/cables/steering/conversion for the motor (which isnt much more then a bracket to hold the cables at the motor and a few plugs )....it helps if you have a tohatsu merc ...cheeper to buy the tohatsu version then the merc stuff...built my own console...
pretty much was unbolt steering arm...bolt up cable bracket...swap the gear change shaft to a shorter one(dont even really need to do that one but was in the kit) move the electric start/kill switch buttons to the control box ...mount the control box ....mount the steering and you are done ....
i couldnt go back to tiller steer ......

Angryant
09-11-2014, 03:37 PM
What was the cost to go from tiller to side console without the motor I already have a 40hp four stroke. Thinking of doing the same to a 4.5 Brooker Safari. John

You can get planetary steering systems (excluding steering wheel) for around $230 and side console units on eBay for around $350ish. I purchased a TABS console only because I wanted to keep everything genuine.

I agree Astro, couldn't have another tiller steer.