PDA

View Full Version : Old boat max engine hp?

airlock
06-11-2014, 10:04 PM
i'm hunting around for a newer 4stroke to replace the old lump on my cruise craft reef raider, shower i'm not entirely sure how relevant the max engine hp plate on the boat is when compared to the new models. Obviously new models are much lighter but are capable of providing more torque, will this effect the max engine size or is it mostly about max power?

mine says max is 200hp, witch seems a tad high but i'm considering a mere 150 and wondering if it'll be ok?

docaster
06-11-2014, 10:30 PM
What's the length of the raider?

airlock
06-11-2014, 10:42 PM
its 5m, the old 166

docaster
06-11-2014, 10:49 PM
its 5m, the old 166

Yea seems way to high. I had a rebel v16 which was only a bit smaller with a 135 and you couldn't utilize all the power without scaring the bejeevers out of you.

airlock
06-11-2014, 10:52 PM
it looks like the weight is gunna be a bit of an issue as well with the 150, weighs another 20 or so kilos then the 135 twosmoke while the 115 is similer displacement, lighter and won't be noticeably slower.

SUPERDAFF
07-11-2014, 12:29 AM
i'm hunting around for a newer 4stroke to replace the old lump on my cruise craft reef raider, shower i'm not entirely sure how relevant the max engine hp plate on the boat is when compared to the new models. Obviously new models are much lighter but are capable of providing more torque, will this effect the max engine size or is it mostly about max power?

mine says max is 200hp, witch seems a tad high but i'm considering a mere 150 and wondering if it'll be ok?

Interesting - the brochures for the Reef Raider 166 all indicate a maximum of 150hp. The much earlier Raider on the other hand (it was a runabout and could be ordered with a sterndrive), was higher. Rating systems for power have changed over the years.

Fed
07-11-2014, 07:37 AM
Find a 200HP motor that's from the same era as the hull & check it's weight and work backwards.
http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/Manufacturers

Moonlighter
07-11-2014, 08:07 AM
As a guide, you could use the formula in the Australian Standard for small boats. It wouldnt have been around back in those days but will give you a good guide as to what the max allowable hp for that boat would be if it was being built new today:

Australian Standards Calculation AS 1799

FORMULA:
Length of boat X Waterline beam (width) at transom X 16 less 67 then X 1.34 = hp you can use on your boat.

So for your boat, this formula could look something like the below (obviously you would have to measure the boat's actual hull length in meters and the beam at the waterline measured at the transom, and use those figures in the formula):

5m boat X 2.02 waterline beam at transom =10.1 X 16 = 161.6 less 67= 94.6 X1.34 =126.76 hp. This would normally be rounded to 125hp.

The standard then requires that max hp to be tested thru a serious practical on water test done at full throttle, through a prescribed on water slalom type course, including performing a 90 degree right angle turn, in a prescribed distance. The boat must perform safely and no water must be shipped. If it doesnt, then hp has to be lowered, and the test done again until it is performing safely and no water coming on board.

rayken1938
07-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Why not just contact Cruise Craft?
Cheers
Ray

bonneville
07-11-2014, 02:24 PM
first message went west ?

airlock, the reef raider max hp was 150, same as my bigger reef finder
someones either tampered with it or your reading it wrong ( worn)
maximum is 150hp and that is the old 2 stroke weight of around 170kg
your reef raider is best balanced with a 115 4 stroke ( merc 163)
going heavier would be.....dissasterous
cruise craft are easy to get hold of, I recently spoke to one of the nicols about swapping to a drive on dunbier, so ring them and confirm it.
but I guarantee its 150 hp maximum ( old 2 stroke weights)
I fished in one for over 10 years, matched with an old Johnson 115, and it flew !!

b

bonneville
07-11-2014, 02:29 PM
airlock, sorry hadn't finished.
the lightest 150 4 stroke is mercury at about 206 kilos, this will ruin your boats performance
my mate has the same as me, reef finder and he put one on, had real issues with weight and balancing, he got it sorted but he aso had to lift the transom up to take a 25 inch leg, install trim tabs and carry sand bags up front, these boats are the next size up from yours at 5.36 meters, with all his issues,ive decided to look at the new 115 4 strokes, I really think that's the size best balanced for your reef raider as well, and being a foot and a half smaller....
hope this helps

b

airlock
07-11-2014, 06:10 PM
thanks for the info guys, the plate doesn't look all that official so i'm guessing it been messed about with. I think 115 would defiantly be a good balance, and i don't really need the extra poke and defiantly won't be wanting the weight over the back now I've found all the weights and specs.

bonneville
07-11-2014, 06:50 PM
yeah, good choice airlock
the reef raider were known as a boat that tended to be arse heavy, real solid but bum heavy, so the trick with them is to keep the weight down
go off the fact that an old 150 was about 170-180 kilo's, they never went to maximum horse power on these, so even at that weight its hard on the maximum. so the zuk 140 would be too heavy. as mentioned the 115 merc is 163 kg, that would be getting up there in the weight on yours as well.
they were originally sold with 90 hp 2 strokes at about 120 kg, if you wanted more poke you got the 115 2 stroke, and that was around 140kg, so even with the new merc 115 at 163 kg, your pretty well max ed out to the limit on what they were designed to carry.
may need to look at weight transferring, i.e fuel batteries etc, they really do handle badly with excess weight on the back.
cheers

b

CT
08-11-2014, 04:48 PM
I've got a Evinrude Ficht Ram 90 (V4) on mine. It weighs 145 kg according to the plate. With this motor, two N70 batteries and an oil tank at the back it sits lower in the water than with the original 125 V4 Johnno on it. I'm happy that it isnt too much weight but I wouldn't go any heavier without some serious testing with drums of water or something to simulate the additional weight.

The bogan in me says an Etec 135HO would be awesome, but at 195 kg, it is a heap more weight. The 115 is still 177 kg.

Happy shopping
Craig

airlock
08-11-2014, 11:51 PM
I'm looking at putting an 80l fuel tank up front alongside the spare jerry i carry so hopefully that will balance the weight a bit better, currently running 60 Liters at the back with the battery and 25 up No real issues compared to the 70hp Johnson it came with but it isn't as solid in the bigger swell as i would like and the arse sis too low on bar crossings at low speed so i'm thinking weight is going to be a big decider. Looking at a 4 stroke over the two as i'd like the noise reduction, oil and fuel saving.