PDA

View Full Version : Downrigger Mounting Options

blairv70
05-11-2014, 10:35 AM
Hi all,

I have finally purchased a downrigger and just need some advise around mounting options.

I have looked at quite a few picture around the web and there seems to be a 50/50 split whether you mount them in line with the boat (i.e. facing the stern) or at a 90 degree angle to off the side of the boat (i.e sticks out the side over the gunnels)

I can mount it as far back or forward as I need to but just trying to get the wisdom on what people think is best.

I will be using it for trolling lives and lures and getting baits down in the zone at places like Curtin

Cheers

Blair

aussiebasser
05-11-2014, 11:25 AM
The further forward you mount it the more care you have to take during turns. The further back you mount it the more care you have to take and the more difficulty you will encounter deploying it. If you have it further forward it is easier to track your bomb on the sounder too.

PROS
05-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Good luck trolling at Curtins...
Sticking out to side worked much better for me in the past, giving a bit more separation between lines, less chance of tangles.

Max

blairv70
05-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Good luck trolling at Curtins...
Sticking out to side worked much better for me in the past, giving a bit more separation between lines, less chance of tangles.

Max

Haha Max - won't be trolling at Curtin - more to counter the current there if anchored.

Share your thoughts for the side mount option as well

Nslfishing
05-11-2014, 03:23 PM
I got mine side mounted at 90 degrees. If I was mounting again I'd twist it towards the back of the boat a little more. Around 55-45 degrees. It's a bit far to reach the ball and the clip at 90. Hope that helps
cheers Nic

Horse
05-11-2014, 07:20 PM
I run mine at 45o from the side. Its easy to access bomb and clip

Out-Station
05-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Mine swivels 90/45/in line with the hull. I run mine at 45. As far as distance back goes, when underway my downrigger braid rides in the chine of the hull about 18 inches forward of the back of the full width pod. Main point being the hull stops the braid heading around the transom into the prop when turning "into" the downrigger side especially in a bit of wind or slop, no probs when going the other way. For this reason I'd be inclined to mount far enough forward to get this same effect (works for me anyway).

Scott

scottar
05-11-2014, 10:54 PM
I run mine both to the side at 90 degrees mounted onto to rod holder inserts so there are no holes that had to be drilled. If you can't decide which way you can get a swivel mount that allows various settings