PDA

View Full Version : Trailer axle spindle... oversize??

LonxBW
03-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Bit of a disappointment yesterday...

I was assembling the bottom end of the trailer (full kit from Huntsman), packed the bearings & hubs up. Put one end onto the axle without any trouble, happy days. The other hub slid halfway on and refused to go further. I gave it a little wiggle and tried for a minute then decided to take it off and re-inspect. No good... it had managed to jam itself onto the spindle. Twenty minutes of frustration later I managed to work it free at the expense of the rear seal.

The outer bearing fits perfectly, however I simply cannot get the inner to slide on. I manually checked the diameter with my verniers and suspect the spindle is very slightly oversize. Picking up a battery today so I can get a digital readout and prove it. Then I guess it's a phone call/email/photo to Huntsman to try and resolve it.

Has anyone else had a similar experience before? I'm not annoyed, these things happen but it sure can be frustrating!! :-?

In terms of fixing it... I'm first inclined to see what Huntsman would like to do & hopefully get another axle sent up by Friday. Otherwise what options are there? First thought is some 600grit and using it like a belt, turning it 90 degrees every 10 or so swipes. Re-measure with verniers after each set - it wouldn't be perfect but it would be pretty close. I guess I'll know how far out it is this afternoon, contact Huntsman and go from there.

Noelm
03-11-2014, 10:26 AM
I guess anything is possible, a quick check would be to get the hub from the side that fits, and try it on the bad side, that will rule out some strange bearing issue?

LonxBW
03-11-2014, 12:28 PM
I guess anything is possible, a quick check would be to get the hub from the side that fits, and try it on the bad side, that will rule out some strange bearing issue?
Yeah I like the idea but chose not to because I'm worried it'd get stuck on like the last one. I'll measure first and hopefully that will give me the answer. If not, I'm scratching my head. :'(

Feral
03-11-2014, 05:47 PM
I'd check the bearing is correctly sized before touching the spindle.

Noelm
03-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Yep, that's why I suggested swapping the hubs over, it probably is the axle, but you need to be sure.

LonxBW
03-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Cheers mate. Verdict is...

Bearing ID 34.94mm +/- 0.02mm (probably my measuring)... axle OD 34.84mm +/- 0.04mm except right on the lip of where it tapers off more... it is around 34.92ish there and right where it is getting caught. Easy enough to fix that up :)

Noelm
03-11-2014, 07:45 PM
I might be reading it wrong, but isn't the bearing bigger than the axle?

LonxBW
04-11-2014, 07:33 AM
It's that close that it's hard to tell without a little deviation.

LonxBW
07-11-2014, 07:31 AM
Resolved this yesterday in about 15 minutes with some 400 grit, then finished lightly with 600 and 800. The bearing doesn't sit on this area but it slides on very snugly now. :)

Herby13
09-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Had no end of dramas from Huntsmans.

Incorrect brake lines and fittings for hydraulic brake kit!
New brake calipers to larger to fit on mounts!
8 week wait to receive one order that was promised in 4 weeks.

They resolved all problems but had to push like F%$K to get each resolved.