PDA

View Full Version : Running sinker on braid

back2boats
02-11-2014, 01:58 PM
I often fish with a running sinker above my swivel. When using braid, I think I notice some wear on the braid from the sinker slidng, and the knot where the braid ties onto the swivel looks a bit frayed from the sinker hitting it. Is this a real problem - will the sinker significantly weaken the braid, or is it nothing to worry about?

shaungonemad
02-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Yeah its a problem thats why its good to use a fluro leader

back2boats
02-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Yeah its a problem thats why its good to use a fluro leader

I use leader below the swivel. Are you using it above the swivel as well?

scorpo92
02-11-2014, 08:33 PM
I use leader below the swivel. Are you using it above the swivel as well?
Most people tie a leader on and then that goes to the swivel or whatever. So that way the sinker will run on the metre or so of leader rather than braid.

Moonlighter
02-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Yes, pretty well everyone I know who uses braid, runs a flourocarbon leader and then ties the terminal rig to that. So it would be braid, leader, sinker on that, swivel, then trace to the hook.

One of the things you really need to learn with braid is how to tie a mono/flourocarbon leader directly to the braid, without a swivel etc.

On offshore gear, i usually start off with about 4-6 meters of leader. On lighter spin gear, one or two rod lengths is enough.

I use a couple of different braid to leader knots, but the best one by a long shot, IMO, is the GT knot. No need to tie fussy bimini twists to make double loops etc for this knot, it is actually a pretty simple knot and once you have practiced it a few times, you can tie one on in just a couple of minutes.

And best of all, it is bloody strong! Actually breaks at about 110% of the strength of the braid it is tied to. And the other advantage is that it is a very slim knot, perhaps the slimmest of all, and so ot rns thru guides very well when you cast and also when you retrieve.

There are several ways to tie this knot, but here is the video I found and this method is how I tie my GT knots. Highly recommended. By the way, you will look a this vidoe and wonder how it is that this knot doesnt just slip thru, but it doest. It has to do with the criss-crossing of the braid and the friction this creates.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4R3_znSAPz8

scorpo92
02-11-2014, 09:02 PM
Yes, pretty well everyone I know who uses braid, runs a flourocarbon leader and then ties the terminal rig to that. So it would be braid, leader, sinker on that, swivel, then trace to the hook.

One of the things you really need to learn with braid is how to tie a mono/flourocarbon leader directly to the braid, without a swivel etc.

On offshore gear, i usually start off with about 4-6 meters of leader. On lighter spin gear, one or two rod lengths is enough.

I use a couple of different braid to leader knots, but the best one by a long shot, IMO, is the GT knot. No need to tie fussy bimini twists to make double loops etc for this knot, it is actually a pretty simple knot and once you have practiced it a few times, you can tie one on in just a couple of minutes.

And best of all, it is bloody strong! Actually breaks at about 110% of the strength of the braid it is tied to. And the other advantage is that it is a very slim knot, perhaps the slimmest of all, and so ot rns thru guides very well when you cast and also when you retrieve.

There are several ways to tie this knot, but here is the video I found and this method is how I tie my GT knots. Highly recommended. By the way, you will look a this vidoe and wonder how it is that this knot doesnt just slip thru, but it doest. It has to do with the criss-crossing of the braid and the friction this creates.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4R3_znSAPz8
Looks pretty good. I usually use improved albright but that looks fairly easy to learn.

back2boats
02-11-2014, 09:19 PM
I had not heard of using leader above the swivel for the sinker to run on. I can easily do that. Thanks.