PDA

View Full Version : Primer Bulb

LittleSkipper
31-10-2014, 08:52 AM
My question? Is a primer bulb still required for modern 4 stroke outboards and if so how many of you use it?

I have an '09' carby two stroke which will be upgraded to a four stroke in the new year and was wondering if the primer bulb is still a requirement?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spaniard_King
31-10-2014, 09:48 AM
Believe me if you ever run out of fuel you will wish you had one to prime the engine up again.

LittleSkipper
31-10-2014, 10:58 AM
Gotcha! Wasn't sure if it was required for the modern tech fours these days, you don't see any primer bulbs on car engines though? Thought the engines fuel pump would be suffice? I guess not.

aussiebasser
31-10-2014, 11:15 AM
I've never used it on my Verado or my 25 EFI. As SK said, probably handy if you run out of fuel. My Verado sat for over a year and still started at the first hit of the starter, year old unleaded too.

LittleSkipper
31-10-2014, 11:28 AM
I've never used it on my Verado or my 25 EFI. As SK said, probably handy if you run out of fuel. My Verado sat for over a year and still started at the first hit of the starter, year old unleaded too.

Yep! Probably handy if you did run out of fuel but why would anyone be stupid enough to run out of fuel in the first place?

robsue
31-10-2014, 11:43 AM
I have a primer, but never used it on 70 yammi 4 stroke, starts first turn of key every time

LittleSkipper
31-10-2014, 12:18 PM
So basically the primer bulb is not a necessity but merely a back up to a what if kind of situation?

wirlybird
31-10-2014, 12:33 PM
intresting question

I had my F350 in the shipping crate totaly dry i connected the fuel hose and turned the ignition on to use the service port i assumed the fuel would get sucked up so i didnt prime it at first.

After it run dry for a minute i turned the key off and had to prime it for it to get the fuel to the lift pump in order for the pump to turn off.

From that i assume you need a primer

Spaniard_King
31-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Be careful with those big yammies.. they use fuel to cool the HP pump, no warranty if you burn out the pump due to running out of fuel either

juggernaut
31-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Gotcha! Wasn't sure if it was required for the modern tech fours these days, you don't see any primer bulbs on car engines though?

That's because cars have in-tank fuel pumps. The day they start mounting in-tank fuel pumps on boats will be the day primer bulbs will probably disappear.

Noelm
31-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Primer is pretty handy when you change the external fuel filter too, and correct about the car fuel pump, most modern cars have an electric fuel pump in the fuel tank, not on the engine like an outboard

LittleSkipper
01-11-2014, 05:30 AM
That's because cars have in-tank fuel pumps. The day they start mounting in-tank fuel pumps on boats will be the day primer bulbs will probably disappear.

No worry's. Thanks!