PDA

View Full Version : Wire Placement - Port or Starboard? Does it matter?

blairv70
27-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Hi all

I am in the middle of my solar project at the moment and currently have all wiring running on the Port side of the boat as this is where all the controls etc are.

Due to running short of space i am looking at putting the Solar regulator on the Starboard side inside the cabin and running the cabling on the same side to the batteries.

My fuel filler and breathers are on that side of the boat - is there any rule/guiide saying i should not run cables on the same side as the fuel plumbing? The wires will be enclosed in plastic cable conduit along the length of the hull for added protection and it will be sheathed cable as well.

Keen to hear everyone's thoughts on this

Thanks

Blair

docaster
27-10-2014, 12:44 PM
G'day Blair, I don't know what the standard is or if there is one, but I can't see a problem as long as commonsense prevails which looks like you have that covered. I know in my boat in the transom area I have cables and fuel lines in close proximity. Always a risk i guess if one gets a fuel leak and shorting wires at the same time. Just my opinion though.
Cheers
John

scottar
27-10-2014, 09:19 PM
It will be fine. Just make sure that the right value fuses/breakers are where they need to be.