PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Suzuki DF90A Engine Fault Alarm

Braddles
26-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Hi there;

I have a 2014 Suzuki DF90A engine that I bought new and have put 85hrs on it this year (most in last month on a trip up north, travelling out to great barrier reef most days)....

Anyway - the motor has performed beautifully.... very happy..

BUT...

On the last ~80km run home to Yeppoon harbour from out wide, the "check engine" icon started flashing a red light. The tell - tail has remained strong, and engine hasnt missed a beat.

When you fire the engine up, it beeps once like always with ignition on, then if you don't turn motor over, a constant double beeping is heard, and then check engine light flashes.

Can anyone give me any idea about what this could be??

Thanks in advance,

Brad.

Moonlighter
26-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Talk to your dealer. The motor is in warranty.

Might be as simple as the 100 hr service reminder. In amy case, the codes should be listed in your owners manual, check there first and see what it says for that sequence.

chris69
26-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Just turn you motor on but dont start it and disconnect the lanard pull the emergency stop switch out 3 times in 10 seconds and it should clear and stop the alarm and book a service.

Noelm
27-10-2014, 04:44 AM
It does certainly sound like the service reminder, but make sure, it's in your manual , I thought it was the oil light that flashed?

macca3441
27-10-2014, 06:31 AM
Mate,

I have the same outboard, and its just the service alarm. Read your manual, and it talks about an oil change at 80hrs. Just reset your alarm system, and wait till the 100hr service! But obviously, if you have any concerns, speak with a dealer!

Dogtoooth
27-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Hi there;

I have a 2014 Suzuki DF90A engine that I bought new and have put 85hrs on it this year (most in last month on a trip up north, travelling out to great barrier reef most days)....

Anyway - the motor has performed beautifully.... very happy..

BUT...

On the last ~80km run home to Yeppoon harbour from out wide, the "check engine" icon started flashing a red light. The tell - tail has remained strong, and engine hasnt missed a beat.

When you fire the engine up, it beeps once like always with ignition on, then if you don't turn motor over, a constant double beeping is heard, and then check engine light flashes.

Can anyone give me any idea about what this could be??

Thanks in advance,

Brad.

Braddles how is your fuel economy can you give us some figure's on the new Suzuki. I'm thinking of getting a df90a or the new Honda bf100 Vtec which is 11kg heavier and $680 cheaper than the Suzuki. Suzuki or Honda umm umm ah.

Braddles
27-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Thanks everyone! I seriously appreciate your help!!

I have 2 x GMI 20 gauges and then a little black square thing beside these on the dash, with 4 potential alarms.

The one that is flashing is "Check Engine". It is a steady, slow red flash.

When turning on ignition, it is a "beep - Beep"..........."beep - beep"............... "beep-beep"

It happened about 100km off shore off Yeppoon - scared the crapola out of me - a LONG way from home... but engine has not missed a beat.

Macca - thanks so much for your reassurance. I will try the reset per the sequence Chris described (Thanks Chris!) and try that.

I have just tried attempted to contact my mechanic who looks after the boat / motor - but is busy and will call me back.

Dogtooth: I bought my boat through a Honda Dealer (custom Tabs boat, Honda dealer had the dealership for Tabs though).... and I went through exactly the same dilemma. Of course at the end of the day, it depends what you want...

When you crush the numbers, the heavier Honda gives negligible power at the prop over the Suzuki, and an extra 11kg on the bum.

For me - I was after refinement, quietness and fuel efficiency. I also wanted the GMI 20 gauges. With the Honda - you are wasting your money on these gauges as the motor hasnt got the technology to make full use of them.

The Honda has old technology software, and isnt NEMA 2000 compatible, and therefore isnt compatible with the Garmin GMI 20 gauges.

At the time I looked, the Honda was the same money, but I understand they are dropping the price as they get closer to the new model.

I was able to test similar boats with Honda and the Suzi. To be honest - they sound the same and felt the same on the bay in a chop / out of the hole etc. (I'm a Doctor though - not a mechanic) but the leading decisions for me where:

1. Suzuki was lighter
2. Suzuki has same power as heavier less fuel efficient Honda
3. Suzuki was NEW in terms of electronic technology (NEMA 2000, able to use Garmin GMI Gauges / fuel management computers etc.
4. It was black - to match my black boat
5. Have a look at the back of the police boats / Rescue boats etc.
6. Suzuki more fuel efficient.

of course this was my personal decision making and I'm not suggesting one engine is enormously better or worse than the other.

Fuel economy though is amazing...

I have a 110L tank under the floor - cruising around 4400rpm gives about 50km/hr and the calculated range was 340km - less than 0.5L/km ( I think it was around 350mls/km from memory - but would have to check).

On my recent trip to Yeppoon - we would head out from the harbour - live bait around the keppels, then head out wide (> 100km), then fish around / troll around out there, and come back, and the most we used one day was 62L.

The boat (omg - have you decided on a boat?? ) is sensational too - its a Tabs 5.0 Customised Territory Pro. (LOA 5.2m) I had the hull made with the optional thicker plate sheets, swim platform with dive ladder, long range tank, deck wash, live well, got Haines group to fit a Stainless folding targa on it, then had a bimini fitted off that - Oh la la - its my Baby... Such an awesome fishing rig - and handled the trips out wide beautifully. I am so impressed with the handling of the boat, after having a mass produced popular named pressed alloy boat which we nick named the back breaker lol.

The trailer is from Ivan Wilson at FMS Trailers - what a top bloke, and a brilliant trailer made for the boat. I would never have another trailer.

OK - I'll shut up about the boat now...

Dogtooth - if you're around Brissy / Gold Coast PM me and I can take you for a spin / you can see the fuel use over various RMPs if you would like.

Brad.

Braddles
27-10-2014, 03:36 PM
ADDIT:

Just did the sequence of pulls of the kill switch with key / axillary on = all reset! Thanks again guys :-)

Now thinking about heading out this evening or tomorrow morning for a fish :-)

Moonlighter
27-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Just dont forget- that reminder is to get the service and oil change done. You may compromise your warranty if you leave it too long.

Spaniard_King
27-10-2014, 08:36 PM

I have 2 x GMI 20 gauges and then a little black square thing beside these on the dash, with 4 potential alarms.

When turning on ignition, it is a "beep - Beep"..........."beep - beep"............... "beep-beep"

It happened about 100km off shore off Yeppoon - scared the crapola out of me - a LONG way from home... but engine has not missed a beat.

Macca - thanks so much for your reassurance. I will try the reset per the sequence Chris described (Thanks Chris!) and try that.

I have just tried attempted to contact my mechanic who looks after the boat / motor - but is busy and will call me back.

Dogtooth: I bought my boat through a Honda Dealer (custom Tabs boat, Honda dealer had the dealership for Tabs though).... and I went through exactly the same dilemma. Of course at the end of the day, it depends what you want...

When you crush the numbers, the heavier Honda gives negligible power at the prop over the Suzuki, and an extra 11kg on the bum.

For me - I was after refinement, quietness and fuel efficiency. I also wanted the GMI 20 gauges. With the Honda - you are wasting your money on these gauges as the motor hasnt got the technology to make full use of them.

The Honda has old technology software, and isnt NEMA 2000 compatible, and therefore isnt compatible with the Garmin GMI 20 gauges.

At the time I looked, the Honda was the same money, but I understand they are dropping the price as they get closer to the new model.

I was able to test similar boats with Honda and the Suzi. To be honest - they sound the same and felt the same on the bay in a chop / out of the hole etc. (I'm a Doctor though - not a mechanic) but the leading decisions for me where:

1. Suzuki was lighter
3. Suzuki was NEW in terms of electronic technology (NEMA 2000, able to use Garmin GMI Gauges / fuel management computers etc.

of course this was my personal decision making and I'm not suggesting one engine is enormously better or worse than the other.

I have a 110L tank under the floor - cruising around 4400rpm gives about 50km/hr and the calculated range was 340km - less than 0.5L/km ( I think it was around 350mls/km from memory - but would have to check).

On my recent trip to Yeppoon - we would head out from the harbour - live bait around the keppels, then head out wide (> 100km), then fish around / troll around out there, and come back, and the most we used one day was 62L.

The boat (omg - have you decided on a boat?? ) is sensational too - its a Tabs 5.0 Customised Territory Pro. (LOA 5.2m) I had the hull made with the optional thicker plate sheets, swim platform with dive ladder, long range tank, deck wash, live well, got Haines group to fit a Stainless folding targa on it, then had a bimini fitted off that - Oh la la - its my Baby... Such an awesome fishing rig - and handled the trips out wide beautifully. I am so impressed with the handling of the boat, after having a mass produced popular named pressed alloy boat which we nick named the back breaker lol.

The trailer is from Ivan Wilson at FMS Trailers - what a top bloke, and a brilliant trailer made for the boat. I would never have another trailer.

Dogtooth - if you're around Brissy / Gold Coast PM me and I can take you for a spin / you can see the fuel use over various RMPs if you would like.

Brad.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the Honda is NMEA 2000 Compliant (the old 75/90 did not have nmea 2000)

All Honda outboards from 40hp and upwards are NMEA 2000 compliant

The 100hp Honda has a true 100HP and thus would out perform the Suzuki on the same boat setup
The Honda comes standard with NMEA 2000 fuel management Vee Three gauges and additionally can be hooked up to any MFD screen for full NMEA 2000 functionality. Also as standard you get a racor fuel filter NMEA 2000 fluid level sender for your fuel tank and premium control cables. This is all supplied as standard fit with any fuel injected Honda outboard purchase.

I would like to ask Brad how the Honda is the less fuel efficient engine?
This will see if he has done any homework on the Honda or just repeats what he hears off the uneducated.

Do your homework before making a significant purchase.

fisho64
28-10-2014, 01:37 AM
when do the Hondas become Tohatsus?

Noelm
28-10-2014, 04:42 AM
The current Tohatsu 4 strokes are Hondas.

fisho64
28-10-2014, 11:33 PM
Are the Hondas still sold parallel? I was under the impression the Hondas wouldnt be sold.

Noelm
29-10-2014, 05:19 AM
Yeah, of course they are, Hondas are sold through a very respected network of dealers, Tohatsu is sold through a much smaller (and in my opinion only) almost a "here and there" setup, I personally would buy the genuine Honda, if only for brand recognition and potential resale.

Spaniard_King
29-10-2014, 06:56 AM
The Brand Honda is stand a lone, we do not warrant the Tohatsu brand
Honda has a 5 year warranty and very well supported
Tohatsu is supplied by lakeside marine in NSW and warranty is supplied by them
5 year waaranty on a Honda 3 on a tohatsu

fisho64
29-10-2014, 08:47 PM
is there a big price difference?

Braddles
30-10-2014, 03:57 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but the Honda is NMEA 2000 Compliant (the old 75/90 did not have nmea 2000)

All Honda outboards from 40hp and upwards are NMEA 2000 compliant

The 100hp Honda has a true 100HP and thus would out perform the Suzuki on the same boat setup
The Honda comes standard with NMEA 2000 fuel management Vee Three gauges and additionally can be hooked up to any MFD screen for full NMEA 2000 functionality. Also as standard you get a racor fuel filter NMEA 2000 fluid level sender for your fuel tank and premium control cables. This is all supplied as standard fit with any fuel injected Honda outboard purchase.

I would like to ask Brad how the Honda is the less fuel efficient engine?
This will see if he has done any homework on the Honda or just repeats what he hears off the uneducated.

Do your homework before making a significant purchase.

Hi Spaniard King;

I wasn’t going to respond to this – but after sleeping on it, I think I will.

You don’t know me. Please don’t make innuendo about my decision making or my intelligence. I find that passive aggressive tone a little offensive. This was a friendly discussion about my boat's engine, when Dogtooth asked me my opinion and findings. Is that how you would address potential customers face to face? If so - business must be tough for you! For what its worth, I find it hilarious a motor dealer is criticising an anaesthetist's ability to process copious information, and act on the pertinent detail – that’s what I do for a living, often emergently, with potentially ugly outcomes if I get it wrong... So I think I am OK with research, thanks.

FYI Spaniard King, Dogtooth asked MY opinion on a thread started by ME, based on MY findings and experience. To reiterate for you, I explicitly stated these were my personal reasons for making the decision I did. I do not have a vested interest in either Suzuki or Honda Engines. You can not say the same can you? You sell Honda I believe?? Hardly impartial. I also stated that neither of these engines were significantly better or worse than the other in my opinion. It will largely come down to the historical Ford Vs Holden (comparative) debate depending on what individual features are important to the buyer.

FYI, I spent most of 2013 researching and testing boats and Engines in my spare time, before deciding to go with Dean at Tabs who built my customised rig and I had to have made my decision about the engine before Christmas closure of Dec 2013, for delivery in January. The engine - it would have been MUCH easier for me to go with a Honda – the boat was bought through a Honda dealer who had the SEQ Tabs Dealership!!! THE HONDA DEALER owner told me himself (Gary Rawson, Bay Honda) that the Honda DID NOT HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY TO BE COMPATIBLE with the GMI Gauges. My options were the standard analogue gauges, or for more $$ I could have had a “digital” gauge – which was an analogue gauge shell with digital numbers – a display of numbers not unlike a digital watch… which again (IN MY OPINION) were tacky compared to what Suzuki option was with the GMI 20 gauges (which are about $700 each, so not the cheaper option!!). I also know the state rep for Garmin marine (work with his Mother at the hospital) who advised me Suzuki has the latest technology with regards to software, and were the more modern / advanced engine.

As for Power = I believe very few people could honestly put their hand on their heart and tell me they could decipher any difference between a 100HP engine and 90HP engine in hole shot and Maximum speed at WOT. The difference would be academic at best, detectable (for most of us) on gauges only, and variable overlap with prop pitch changes and load.

As for performance, the heavier Honda on the transom of a boat is MUCH more likely to make a difference on a 5m boat. Speak to a boat design architect / marine engineer - they will tell you about the fulcrum effect with (seemingly small) weight changes on the transom of small powerboats. The 90HP was the maximum rated power. I spoke with Dean (Director, Tabs boats) and was told by him (after consultation with his team) that the Suzuki power: weight ratio would be the BEST option for my boat in their expert opinion, and the added weight DID affect performance in their in dependant testing. Feel free to speak to Dean at Tabs - he is a top bloke - and he will tell you what happened with bigger engines / more weight on the arse in testing... I wanted to get a 100HP Suzuki (was in stock, no wait time) but was told "No Way"! by tabs. The Honda would add no discernable power benefit and detrimentally affect performance of boat with additional weight so aft, based on factory testing on the boat by the manufacturer!. I cant argue with that... You probably will.

The Suzuki was black to match my boat (superficial maybe, but important to me!). The other swaying factor was chatting to a few of the water police. Honda did put a cheaper tender in did they not? Suzuki got the tender....

At the end of the day, I suspect with the manners you displayed in your initial post to me, you will happily argue and discount my purchase decision until the cows come home. I don’t care.

I am not an expert marine / boat engineer, nor mechanic and I don’t claim to be.

What I can say is I tried my very best to take the time to set out my OWN reasons for arriving at the informed decision I did, based on a year of looking, reading, test driving and talking to people who do know, live and breath, service and rely on outboard engines and answer some Questions that people asked of me, without bias. Spainard King; I don’t think you can say your opinion is without bias, or declaring a significant financial interest in Honda engines can you?

Kind regards,

Brad.

Spaniard_King
30-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Brad my post had no malice intended, I just wanted to clear up a few issues I had with your post by stating facts.

If Gary told you the 100HP was not NMEA compatible then he was wrong.

Go and read my posts, I do not drag other brands through the mud!

The Silver Unicorn
30-10-2014, 08:37 PM
You don’t know me. Please don’t make innuendo about my decision making or my intelligence. I find that passive aggressive tone a little offensive. This was a friendly discussion about my boat's engine, when Dogtooth asked me my opinion and findings. Is that how you would address potential customers face to face? If so - business must be tough for you! For what its worth, I find it hilarious a motor dealer is criticising an anaesthetist's ability to process copious information, and act on the pertinent detail – that’s what I do for a living, often emergently, with potentially ugly outcomes if I get it wrong... So I think I am OK with research, thanks.

Hello pot....this is kettle here!!!!

Oh....so you find passive aggressive tones offensive do you? I take it you mean that in a receiving way as you clearly don't have a problem attacking people with passive aggressiveness!!

Do you know what I find hilarious mate? The fact that a self proclaimed highly educated man needed to ask such an elementary question pertaining to such a simple issue. Surely with your ability to process copious amounts of information and act on pertinent details a simple service reminder alarm would be no match for your intellectual brilliance.

Here is a man.....obviously a very accomplished man in the field of marine mechanics talking about issues on which he is a subject matter expert on and because it's out of your field of expertise you feel inadequate.....how could such a ruffian claim to know more than me! I am an anesthetists you know!

Would you not think Garry does this for a living, often emergently? With potentially ugly outcomes if he gets it wrong? Save your attitude for the next Annual Anesthetitists Gala.

Humdinger
30-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Very well said

Humdinger
30-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Gotta ask
is this guy sat nav

Dogtoooth
30-10-2014, 09:13 PM

1. Suzuki was lighter

Brad.

Thanks Braddles for your review. I haven't read anything bad about the new DF90A's, the commercial operator's flog them and get 4000 + hours out of them with on time servicing. I got the price better than honda too just by avoiding the salesman silly quote, and getting the bosses number and talking to the boss direct, I must try that trick on every thing expensive now. I'm putting a deposit down next week on the df90a to suit a 5.1 javelin CC, I'm sold. Cheer's.

Braddles
31-10-2014, 12:44 AM
Hey Dogtooth; pleasure. Glad you found it helpful.

Very exciting times for you :-)

Best wishes,

Brad.