PDA

View Full Version : 96 30HP Yamaha?

zac320
17-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Hello I'm looking at purchasing a 30HP outboard it, the bloke knows the history and it was originally on a lake fishing boat but his owned it for the last 10 years. I compression tested it and it went 110 117 117
He hasn't used it in about 4 years, when he started it up it was pumping but it had a consistent stop of flow only for a millisecond but it was a break in the flow, is this normal?
thankyou

Noelm
17-10-2014, 05:24 PM
If it hasn't been used in 4 years, it might be a good idea to replace the water pump and do the gear oil.

zac320
21-10-2014, 07:02 PM
Hello, i purchased the motor and it starts on its 3rd pull, ive replaced the leg oil and I will be ordering a impeller kit and changing the plugs aswell. Do you guys run 98octane? Also should I decarb the engine and whats the recomended way?
Thankyou

FNQCairns
26-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Yes give a ripping through with whatever you think might get the compression closer...not counting compression operator error/stuck rings/lack of usage whatever the 110 is a bit of a worry but not strictly out of bounds given a fair price that reflects the added risk, sometimes they can be brought back to equivalent, personally I wouldn't buy one with that discrepancy and I am sure I have passed up some still good engines for the price....it's all about the price.

anyway how did it all go?

Steeler
26-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Don't be to concerned by the comp. Was that a cold crank reading ?. Being a two stroke it builds compression.

zac320
27-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Yeh that was a cold reading. I paid $550 for the motor. Any product and procedure you recommend for the decarb?
Also the impellor kit arrived I purchased for it, now I'm fairly tight on cash at the moment so can't afford a manual, but I will purchase one down the track. So can any of you point me at an online manual? Or tech on how to replace the water impellor. Im pretty mechanical minded but when I had a look at the outboard there wasn't a cover that I had to take off which matched the gaskets I recieved in my kit.
Thanks for the replies

The Mad Cat
28-10-2014, 06:01 AM
YouTube will show you how to do almost anything, as long as you put in the right search words.

TMC

Yeh that was a cold reading. I paid $550 for the motor. Any product and procedure you recommend for the decarb?
Also the impellor kit arrived I purchased for it, now I'm fairly tight on cash at the moment so can't afford a manual, but I will purchase one down the track. So can any of you point me at an online manual? Or tech on how to replace the water impellor. Im pretty mechanical minded but when I had a look at the outboard there wasn't a cover that I had to take off which matched the gaskets I recieved in my kit.
Thanks for the replies

Noelm
28-10-2014, 06:46 AM
not a huge fan of a 'decarb" myself, unless you see a need for it, give it a run for a while first.