PDA

View Full Version : Sounder from the US Pros and Cons?

JB sniper
17-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Hey lads,

I'm sure it's been cover before but As the title states been looking at upgrading the sounder and gps in my boat, looking at a simrad nss9 evo2, after a bit of browsing and chatting with a few blokes the US came into play. There is a mob called boemarine and according to their prices I could pick up a nss12 evo2 for the same price as the 9 here and who doesn't want a bigger screen, just after some advice or other blokes experiences with this sort of thing. The combo is not locked to us either.

Cheers fellas

Noelm
17-10-2014, 11:07 AM
possibly only in imperial units (miles and yards etc)

myusernam
17-10-2014, 11:07 AM
The navico stuff is geofenced (at least lowrance but I suspect simrad also). You can get an internqtional version. Also with the quality and failure rats of the us built stuff (simrad,lowrance) bit riskier than jap stuff which is much more reliable. Furuno a lot cheaper. Thought there wasn't much in simrad. Nothing in lowrance.

Camhawk88
17-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Dont forget to add duty to the price as it will be charged on entry into Aus. Didnt think with the AU$ the way it is, freight and duty, that you would get a big saving these days- well not enough savings to risk the possible warranty dilemas. If after all of that there is a good saving then go for it but I would get it in writing that it wont be a geofenced unit.

scottar
17-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Pro - it might be a bit cheaper. Cons - It might not turn up, no one will want to help in Australia if you have any issues, If it has to be returned for warranty it will cost a bomb and it will be really easy for the guy in the US to be not too concerned about anything on account you are a long way away. As for things like geofencing - make double sure before you order. The US uses a marketing model of "drop shipping" quite a bit. As a consequence, some of the dealers would very rarely lay their hands on a unit and basically sell off the brochure. These sort of box shufflers wouldn't typically know their a*se from their elbow when you get into the nitty gritty of operation of the gear - not saying that about your particular dealer - just something to be mindful of.

chocolatemoose
17-10-2014, 06:23 PM
just not worth it.. its... yeah... just not worth it

mull dog
17-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Not worth it with the dollar at 85c US. Add GST and no support

sharkymark2
17-10-2014, 07:18 PM
I have done it twice. First was a Humminbird 787 and later a 788. I had one warranty claim of a transducer. After pricing a new one here it was much cheaper even with postage to get it from the US. I paid about 55% of the going price here. Yes it is in Imperial so MPH and Feet. I can't change it but I am old enough to still feel comfortable with those measurements. I am in the process of purchasing the Quadra beam transducer to give me side imaging as well. I think about a $130 should see it over here. Oh yes I do get maps for Moreton bay but not depth contours. Also bought the covers for the units as much cheaper again. The company I went with was Hodges Marine. I don't know if they are still the cheapest as it has been a few years now. Good luck with your decision.

sharkymark2
17-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Forgot to say that both times was under $1000.

swof63
17-10-2014, 09:35 PM
I checked with the missus, she reckons 9 inches is fine 12 inches is overkill so get the local 9 in her ( sorry incher damn you autocorrect ).

Cheers,

ozscott
17-10-2014, 09:58 PM
.........!!!..........

odieman150
18-10-2014, 05:54 AM
I have to go 3 times for my wife to get 9 inches :)

scottar
18-10-2014, 06:52 AM
I have to go 3 times for my wife to get 9 inches :)

No need to brag.

FisHard
18-10-2014, 07:58 AM
I'm going to confuse things with my 2 bobs worth...
I've got a NSS 12 and love it! It really is the screen to have especially if you start splitting the display. It's great.
But would I import one from the states and miss out on warranty and have all the risks stated above? No way. I know we all want the latest and greatest, but you can track down the series 1 NSS 12's very cheaply.

juggernaut
18-10-2014, 09:32 AM
I've used boe marine in the past - great service. Also they made a post some time ago on tht the athe simrads are not geofenced. I've bought furuno in from the us fcv1150 and 587 without issue. But not so sure I would bring anything else from the us without a warranty.

chocolatemoose
18-10-2014, 05:20 PM
i like to think us handsome australian retailers offer a special kind of love with every purchase :D

sharkymark2
18-10-2014, 06:01 PM
A little over half price why wouldn't you take the risk? Geez we go out in our boats and risk life and limb and here we got guys squealing on a few dollars.
This is not the attitude that beat the Turks at Beersheeba. Come on where is that Anzac spirit ;)

chocolatemoose
18-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Haha haha. Well I guess the Anzac brothers were very close....dare I say....they were ...tight? ;)

JB sniper
19-10-2014, 02:52 AM
Thanks for all the feed back fellas, might just stick with a 9 and buy in Aus. Had to ask after seeing the price the 12 was from boemarine, I've never bought anything over from the states so wasn't sure, what the limit before you have to pay duty? $1000?

chocolatemoose
19-10-2014, 07:39 AM
yep. gst on 1000 and up. adds a few pennies to a 3000+ system.

what sort of system are you looking at JB?

JB sniper
19-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Choc, Was looking at the simrad Nss9 evo2 with a down and side scan set up, I open to susgestions though.

chocolatemoose
19-10-2014, 09:27 AM
with or without chirp?

JB sniper
19-10-2014, 11:42 AM
If I'm going to fork out the $$ would like chirp mate

FisHard
19-10-2014, 11:54 AM
I just had a look at the BOE website, and they are quoting about $ 3k for the NSS 12 Evo 2. That would end up about $36-3800 aud landed. I'm sure Chocolate Moose can give that a nudge! CH Smith have it for $3500 locally. It's a no brainer dude :)

ovakil
22-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Pro - it might be a bit cheaper. Cons - It might not turn up, no one will want to help in Australia if you have any issues, If it has to be returned for warranty it will cost a bomb and it will be really easy for the guy in the US to be not too concerned about anything on account you are a long way away. As for things like geofencing - make double sure before you order. The US uses a marketing model of "drop shipping" quite a bit. As a consequence, some of the dealers would very rarely lay their hands on a unit and basically sell off the brochure. These sort of box shufflers wouldn't typically know their a*se from their elbow when you get into the nitty gritty of operation of the gear - not saying that about your particular dealer - just something to be mindful of.

I bought my lowrance colored sounder here,after 18 months started playing up. Rang them up,was told had common fault. Offered small discount on new one as it was just out of warranty.
Stuff that. Buy overseas for a cheaper price. I bet with aussie dollar falling pruces of stuff will go up.

Dogtoooth
22-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Hey lads,

I'm sure it's been cover before but As the title states been looking at upgrading the sounder and gps in my boat, looking at a simrad nss9 evo2, after a bit of browsing and chatting with a few blokes the US came into play. There is a mob called boemarine and according to their prices I could pick up a nss12 evo2 for the same price as the 9 here and who doesn't want a bigger screen, just after some advice or other blokes experiences with this sort of thing. The combo is not locked to us either.

Cheers fellas

I saved over $600 on my sounder from the US. Go with PAYPAL and most International shipping companies provides tracking anyway. Be aware of GST, keep your budget around $1000, 1500 it's a hit and miss some people get stung with GST when it get's processed in Australia I got lucky. I would love to buy local warranty, good local advice, back up service ect but, this country has got so expensive in the last 10 years it is now a dog eat dog world which is sad. It doesn't help when we live so far from every bastard either. In the old day's it was all about fishing with family and mate's often, now we are all trying to survive.