PDA

View Full Version : v17 nderfloor tank...stringer position help

kennzo
15-10-2014, 06:31 PM
hey all. excuse the messy boat, alot going on with it atm.
im looking to do away with the portable tanks, and install a 75 l bermuda tank under the middle removable floor. the tank is perfect width wise, but about35mm to high at the back due to the channel shallowing aft. see pic.105847
so im looking at cutting the bottom of the recess and putting a new floor in about 50mm lower to allow for hard fuel lines to be run neatly and a filler neck. i have all the glass, resin and flowcoat i need as after the tank is installed ill be flowcoating the floor andcarpeting.
my concern is are the stringers directly under the recess bottom??
any advice/pics of early v17l stringer position greatly appreciated. thanks fellow ausfishers.
ken.

Noelm
16-10-2014, 11:42 AM
might be better to just get a custom made tank that will fit, rather than cut the boat to bits?

kennzo
16-10-2014, 11:58 AM
might be better to just get a custom made tank that will fit, rather than cut the boat to bits?all very well if your made of coin i guess. recently spent a fair chunk on the old girl dual battery system, touch screen sounder, etc etc not to mention the new sustains t curves and stradics......the wife has been tolerant so far. but i was quoted over 1k for a quality alloy custom tank. so not on the cards so its either stick with the portables or make it fit. a case of piss with the cock u have i guess. i cut a small square out to have a suss and was greeted by the middle stringer hard up against the floor so its either have the tank modified or put a step in the floor.

chris69
16-10-2014, 12:09 PM
If your cutting out 50mm how much is left in the stringer? and have you got a pic of the tank out that will help.

kennzo
16-10-2014, 12:58 PM
hi chris. i wont be cutting any stringers or anything else structural. was hoping there might be some space under there to lower the floor a bit, but no such luck. ill chuck a patch over and come up with something else. ill post a pick up of the tank. its a bermuda/mercury, it came with the boat i think the previous owner ordered but his measurements where out. i could put a 2 stage step in the floor to bring that section up for clearance but that would be ugly and dangerous. ive been venturing out to some far wrecks lately, about 30-40 klm round trip. having to carry a jerry can is getting real old especially if its choppy, i like to carry 30 litres more then i think ill need at all times. my mates think its overkill but its not their responsibility to ensure we get home if it comes up rough. im a fan of an uncluttered deck nice clean and flush carpeted floor, no fuel tanks eskys or tackle boxes laying around, that burns my piss.

chris69
17-10-2014, 12:26 AM
Have a look at saintmarine fuel tanks you might find a suitable tank to fit in the space you have and just sell the other one that might help you out.

burleygu
19-10-2014, 05:31 PM
a tank of that size for over 1k that guy was having you on my 220 ltr aluminium ttank cost $700 and my neighbours 200 cost the same look up the guy at dayboro or something out samford way he advertises in all the qld fishing monthly mags does aluminium pods etc

Shark Poker
19-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Yes $600-$700 should see a quality tank made to custom size. PM me if you need one.

Hagar
19-10-2014, 06:33 PM
I have previously done a complete floor and stringer rebuild on a V17L. The central keel stringer is not not all that high as the centre underfloor cavity is fairly narrow in width.From memory the edges of the cavity floor sit basically on the hull bottom at the edges so lowering the underfloor is not feasible. Like others I had a custom tank in mine that came with the boat. It also had a floor filler at the front because there is limited space under there. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Chris