PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki DF115 servicing - genuine parts or other? best options for supply.

Darren J
14-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Hi,
I was looking to do basics servicing on a pair of DF115, oil filter, impeller etc. Fuel filters were recently done, but I guess they will be due again at some stage.

I was just wondering if guys out there doing there own servicing are using all genuine parts or if there are good after market options, particularly for things like filters? I was told that suzuki's filters were made by a readily available manufacturer (don't remember who know). I know of guys doing a lot of hours on Yamahas buying after market filters a lot cheaper than genuine locally here in AUS.

Also where are some good options for supply of parts. I am Brisbane western suburbs, but am not opposed to online purchase for basic gear like this. Are people ordering this sort of gear from places like browns point in the US?

I see "service kits" in Aus for about $150 (filter/impeller/relevant gaskets etc). So at around $300 for parts for two motors, I figure it is worth asking the question. A bit better prices will also make it easier to reduce maintenance intervals which can't hurt.

Thanks for any comments in advance.
Cheers.

lethal
14-10-2014, 08:49 PM
I've been servicing my 2008 DF90 every hundred hours for the past four years so roughly 6 services.

I use genuine oil filter $31.57+gst and genuine water pump repair kit (impeller, gasket and housing) $81.90+gst from Jeffers Motorsport Marine. Great guys and great service and happy to answer any questions. The oil I use is Castrol Magnatec from Supercheap.

I use my boat almost every weekend offshore so I'm not pushing sand through my cooling system, and when I changed my impeller after 3 years and still looked new.

Good Luck

Moonlighter
14-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Stick with the genuine Suzuki marine oil filter. There have been solidly documented cases of after-market ones failing due to minor design differences that mean they do not seat correctly. Not worth the risk for me.

boats.net, precision suzuki marine and Browns point are all good internet suppliers to deal with.

Bit I get all my servicing and related parts from Jon Eadie at Bayside Suzuki marine at Cleveland. Only parts I get from net are NMEA2000 interface cables, much cheaper than here. But they are not service/consumable items as such.

Things like NGK spark plugs are standard available from any auto parts supplier.

fisho64
14-10-2014, 11:37 PM
I have twin DF's also, and order my parts from boats.net.
Genuine filters $6 etc
Having said that the kits you mention are not bad value.
But you do not need to replace your impellor every service unless its shallow and sandy or the boat rarely gets used (the big killer)
If your boat, like mine gets used every 2,3,4 weeks you will easily get 200hrs from it and even then I keep the old one as a emergency spare.

Darren J
15-10-2014, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.
The motors only have 280 hours now, and had all consumables replaced at 200 hours, including parts that (I was told) were not scheduled for servicing (all fuel filters etc.). I expect the impellers to be ok, but thought I would get the gear to replace depending on what they look like. The boat has had limited use for over 12 months so I assumed to replace all if needed.

Moonlighter, thanks for the comments on filters, I had read of that elsewhere. I might give some of the internet guys you mentioned a go and get all the gear in one hit, or even enough for the next few services+spares. genuine filters from the sites mentioned are not expensive.

Out of interest, are you guys running anything special for the gear oil? Everything seems to recommend SAE90 Hypoid gear oil (if not the genuine Suzuki oil).
I have some Nulon Marine full synthetic engine oil I was going to use that was half price but once that is used I will prob stick to their standard auto full syn equivalent in future.

Cheers.

Triple
15-10-2014, 08:30 AM
+1 for boats.net

Just get the next couple of services part requirements at the same time to save on shipping.

tropicrows
15-10-2014, 04:02 PM
I get all my parts from boats.net also, there cheaper than brownspoint. Get enough for a few services.

Noelm
15-10-2014, 07:13 PM
The service kits are good, because they contain everything needed, water pumps are a bit of a mixed bag, if you don't launch from a beach or go through sand, the water pump will last a couple of years easy, the kit also contains all the O rings and stuff, as well as the anodes, which are a very important replacement part, do NOT neglect them.

Darren J
15-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the extra info.

I am just looking now at kits and parts etc. How often are you guys doing the anodes? They seem to be included in a 200 hour kit.
Looks like you can get kits including anodes, or without. I am actually looking at getting both, assuming anodes don't need changing out that often.

cheers.

Noelm
16-10-2014, 04:53 AM
Trust me, change the anodes every year for sure, when you pull them out you will poop your pants at the sight of them after just a year, you can buy them individually, and they are easy to do. What year model is your motor?

docaster
16-10-2014, 09:53 AM
What is the consensus on replacing the timing belt?
http://www.simyamaha.com/category_s/1807.htm
On the simyamaha site it is only inspect / replace.
When i do my cars they still look like new, but we change them anyway.
Can it do damage if it breaks on an outboard? Has anyone had one break?
What would be a good interval to replace, i reckon max 500 hrs.
Cheers
John

docaster
16-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Just on comparison, 100,000 kms on a car at average of 50 km/hr (which is what my ute says) is 2,000 hours.
So i'm thinking time would be a better period for an outboard timing belt replacement.
Maybe 10 yrs? although again a car is what 5 years?
Cheers
John

Noelm
16-10-2014, 11:40 AM
timing belt on a Suzuki? yes timing belts can do major damage on an outboard, and they do fail, remember almost all outboards are derived from a car engine of some sort (with exceptions), the belts can fail from just sitting around, remember it is running in salt water, not clean country air!

Triple
16-10-2014, 02:40 PM
All the parts list show timing chains? Which should last the engines lifetime.
Timing belt failure will only do damage if it's an interference engine.. But have to be towed back to shore :D

Crunchy
16-10-2014, 02:50 PM
I've looked everywhere but I can't find my timing belt, Yamaha 90HP 2 stroke. Has it fallen off?

docaster
16-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Oh my bad, i thought suzuki 4 stroke was same as yammi.

Darren J
22-10-2014, 12:43 AM
I thought I would update for anyone interested.

After a bit of looking about, I am ordering all the gear form Suzuki Precison Marine in the US.

It seemed that Boat.net was about 10% cheaper than Brownspoint (as another poster pointed out), but Suzuki Precision Marine were 10% cheaper again, so I will order form them.
I bought a bulk lot of gear, enough to cover me for the next 5 or so services (for twin engines). From what I can tell, local prices would have been about 50% more again, and thats if I shopped around and bought on line/interstate.

I did ask for a local price to consider, given the quantity of gear. Surprisingly, despite their promise to price the order up "today", they never replied. That was last Thursday. They had a pretty clear shopping list with all part numbers, quantity etc...

Cheers.